How did you feel when Josh set up in the shotgun?

Success

5 hours ago, Beast said:

No, I think you can pass it. Passing should be on the table with a QB like Allen. But not having designed plays to Cook, Kincaid or Knox for short gains and YAC in those situations is down right criminal. I’ll argue those three are the best targets we had dressed today. Instead? Low-percentage passes were the name of the game. 

KC had a similar scenario last week where Worthy ran a man-coverage beating crosser to get a first down and clinch it. The Chiefs understand that a short pass for YAC is the move in that situation. We seem to struggle with basic playcalls like that.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Should have been shocked, but nothing really shocks me as a Bills fan anymore, especially with this regime by now.  So much for being a team that is “committed to running the ball, even when the other team expects it.”  They build their offense around running the ball, they’re successful doing it all day, and then they get scared to try and pound the rock when they’re pinned against their own goal line.  I’m sure McD and Brady will “discuss further” afterward.

I was thinking that Brady sucks as an OC.  I don't care that they tried to pass it.  What I care about are the playcalls themselves. That was the time to play efficient small ball offense and just work your way towards a first down.  Not throw downfield all 3 attempts.  Also, a defense never has to guess if we are running or passing. They just know what we are doing.

In it he said " I would have preferred to run on first down and then assess from there" on that final drive. PREFER? HUH??? ARE YOU THE F'IN HEAD COACH?? You don't take control in that situation? You don't tell Brady I want a run on first down here? Are you kidding me? I've been a defender of him overall, he has made us a winner when for so long we suffered. But I just can't anymore with this guy.  We simply are not going to get to the top of the mountain with him. And I know he's not going anywhere for at least another season or 2. Just a vent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JMM said:

In it he said " I would have preferred to run on first down and then assess from there" on that final drive. PREFER? HUH??? ARE YOU THE F'IN HEAD COACH?? You don't take control in that situation? You don't tell Brady I want a run on first down here? Are you kidding me? I've been a defender of him overall, he has made us a winner when for so long we suffered. But I just can't anymore with this guy.  We simply are not going to get to the top of the mountain with him. And I know he's not going anywhere for at least another season or 2. Just a vent. 

I suggest watching Simms here on that final sequence: https://www.nbcsports.com/watch/nfl/chris-simms-unbuttoned/does-josh-allen-have-enough-playmakers-around-him-on-the-buffalo-bills

On the Bills previous six running back rushes, they had gained 5 yards. The run game had stopped working outside of Allen scrambles.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I suggest watching Simms here on that final sequence: https://www.nbcsports.com/watch/nfl/chris-simms-unbuttoned/does-josh-allen-have-enough-playmakers-around-him-on-the-buffalo-bills

On the Bills previous six running back rushes, they had gained 5 yards. The run game had stopped working outside of Allen scrambles.

I suggest you read my post in the Brady thread. Josh’s completion percentage was the worst by any QB in the last THIRTY YEARS! So saying the running game was struggling seems a bit of a stretch. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I suggest you read my post in the Brady thread. Josh’s completion percentage was the worst by any QB in the last THIRTY YEARS! So saying the running game was struggling seems a bit of a stretch. 

They weren’t getting a first down running.  Maybe Allen could get it on a designed run, but the traditional run game had been shut down because they weren’t worried about our downfield threats at all.

That doesn’t mean Allen should be chucking it down field when we just need a first down to get to OT. 

Let’s say he even connects with Hollins.. what’s happening?  We run up to our own 30 or 40 and spike the ball with 10-15 seconds left, at best.   Then what?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They weren’t getting a first down running.  Maybe Allen could get it on a designed run, but the traditional run game had been shut down because they weren’t worried about our downfield threats at all.

That doesn’t mean Allen should be chucking it down field when we just need a first down to get to OT. 

Let’s say he even connects with Hollins.. what’s happening?  We run up to our own 30 or 40 and spike the ball with 10-15 seconds left, at best.   Then what?

Agreed.  The bigger blunder was not taking the 10 second runoff on the grounding penalty when Houston was punting from the 50 yard line and had all 3 timeouts.  

McDermott is a consistently terrible decision maker at the end of halves and games.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The bigger blunder was not taking the 10 second runoff on the grounding penalty when Houston was punting from the 50 yard line and had all 3 timeouts.  

Wow I haven't seen anyone bring this up. Great catch. So was McDermott really thinking we had a chance to win the game in regulation?? That's crazy. You need to have a feel of what kind game you're playing and make appropriate decisions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed.  The bigger blunder was not taking the 10 second runoff on the grounding penalty when Houston was punting from the 50 yard line and had all 3 timeouts.  

McDermott is a consistently terrible decision maker at the end of halves and games.  

75% agree.  A perfect punt probably won them the game.  

If we get the ball at the 15 or 20, everyone is trusting Allen.. even with how messy everything was.. to try to get Bass a long FG attempt to win. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SCBills said:

If we get the ball at the 20, everyone is trusting Allen.. even with how messy everything was.. to try to get Bass a long FG attempt to win. 

This. McD wanted to see how the punt played out before sacrificing time.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Wow I haven't seen anyone bring this up. Great catch. So was McDermott really thinking we had a chance to win the game in regulation?? That's crazy. You need to have a feel of what kind game you're playing and make appropriate decisions.

We didn’t know they were going to punt to the four.

I imagine bills fans of all people would understand 30 plus seconds-or whaler had- would be enough to potentially get in FG range.  Especially with a touchback 

9 minutes ago, Gregg said:

You play for OT at that point. Even if they don't pick up the first down, they still should have run it to force the Texans to use their timeouts.

I still don't get people defending the three straight passes there.  Low percentage passes at that.  No quick hitter slant or cross, pick play, etc.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I haven't seen this anywhere.  You can accept the penalty but decline the runoff?  *****in' idiot.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

If we get the ball at the 20, everyone is trusting Allen.. even with how messy everything was.. to try to get Bass a long FG attempt to win. 

I don’t know.  The punt didn’t have to be perfect.  I’d guess there’s probably a 75% success rate in that situation of pinning it inside the 20.  You just don’t make that decision when Houston has all 3 timeouts.  Martin got off a 50+ yarder and we still ended up losing.  And it’s not like Bass is trustworthy past 40 yards while their kicker is money out to 60 yards.  Take the 10 second runoff and get to overtime in that situation. 

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I still don't get people defending the three straight passes there.  Low percentage passes at that.  No quick hitter slant or cross, pick play, etc.

A holding penalty on the O-line also would have ended the game.  Passing three times from the 2 yard line was beyond stupid in that situation.

• Like (+1) 3