Silver Linings

Rigotz

Silver lining, Josh survived another week and is getting beat up so good we might have Trubisky pull a Darnold and resurrect his career throwing to the equivalent of Mack Hollins, MVS & Curtis Samuel. 

10 hours ago, colin said:

josh was trash, the oline was bad, and the wr's are worthless.

all of that said, the OC is the biggest problem the last two weeks.  the plays where they rush 4, play man w 6, and have a spy just move to the offensive right show us that.  we are on easy mode, predictable and easy to stop.  cook was doing well, but it's so obvious when we run, and have no screen and very little half back passing game.

i might be allen's biggest fan, but if he's forced to drop back, he is terrible at spotting blitz pick up and who can come free.  he's got bad habits (the always rolling right for example) and even forced the ball two times in a row that shoulda been picked today.  the OC needs to see this and change things up, some pitch outs and designed runs to the qb would have gotten yards today, every time allen scrambled it led to good results (except that one time he threw the "basketball" to the ground, but he was OOB).  how did we not try any of that when we had the ball in the red zone after the fumble?  this o barely ever tricks anyone.  

brady is awful, and mcd wasn't good enough to run the d for ried.  how can we expect him to beat the man himself?

We have high paid players in Samuel and Knox who cannot catch a ball in front of the Line of Scrimmage.    The plays to Samuel have been brutal....plus no value from MVS....and without Shakir they got exposed.

• Like (+1) 1

Oline run blocking is really effective this year.   Downhill blocks and getting into second level without getting illegal man downfield calls is hard to do and we seem to be good at it.  Even vs Balt we did that well.   Obviously at the end of the game facing a prevent defense with only a six man box you think we would’ve continued to pound the rock but unfortunately we didn’t.   

big 90 Dewayne is a force.   Great 3rd rounder so far.   Also Solomon #56 at edge is another rookie to watch. Great motor.  Strong attacker.  Flashed again today.  

9 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Isaiah Mackenzie is a free agent, so we can upgrade at receiver without expenditure of draft capital.  

The fact that I read this and didn't outright dismiss it shows how hopeless my feeling is at WR right now.

2 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Oline run blocking is really effective this year.   Downhill blocks and getting into second level without getting illegal man downfield calls is hard to do and we seem to be good at it.  Even vs Balt we did that well.   Obviously at the end of the game facing a prevent defense with only a six man box you think we would’ve continued to pound the rock but unfortunately we didn’t.   

big 90 Dewayne is a force.   Great 3rd rounder so far.   Also Solomon #56 at edge is another rookie to watch. Great motor.  Strong attacker.  Flashed again today.  

We had like 5 plays yesterday where they brought in an extra lineman and all the runs were blown up. 

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No joke, my biggest positive takeaway is that the WR play was so bad in this one it will force Beane to make a move. It's like how the Panthers were forced to bench Bryce Young because the tape was so uniquely bad. Mack Hollins' tape is that uniquely bad and they will have to make a change.

I think it takes another week.  If we get humiliated on MNF with a similar WR performance then Beane might sell the farm for Cooper or Hopkins.

12 hours ago, I Am The Liquor said:

Just making the playoffs is not good enough at this point buddy.  That is the entire point.  Me being afraid of the Bengals and Ravens?  I'm not playing on the team brother, so that is just a weird point to make.  That being said, if the Bills make the playoffs, I would not be confident in the Bills beating either the Ravens or Bungles with this current roster/coaching group.

It seems you missed my point.

Nearly all of the teams that I mentioned won the Super Bowl. 

Texans are a terrible team and not likely to contend based upon the commentary and outcome of this game - we lost by 3 points and almost pulled it out.

I’d agree with the fact that our offense struggled mightily and our coaching was suspect once again.  BUT…

We were missing:

our #1 DE

our #1 WR

our #1 Nickel Corner

our #1 LB (I consider Milano and Bernard #1A/B)

our #1 DT

All of these players are not JAG’s but HUGE impact players for us at times when they are on the field.

WE LOST BY 3 POINTS WITH THES GUYS OUT.  

15 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Brutal loss. Please post your silver linings here… there are some good ones.

1. The AFC East is a dumpster fire. The Bills are still a full game up on the rest of the division and the Fins, Jets, and Patriots all look like sub-500 teams.

2. Dwayne Carter has been shining as a rookie. Keon Coleman is TBD but at minimum, seems like he can turn into a good role player.

3. Bernard is back. Taron will be back soon. Von will be back soon. Oliver will probably be back soon. Shakir will probably be back soon. Milano will be back for playoffs.

4. We have a ton of draft capital and cap space to make a move this season or next.

3 point loss to a tough team in which we were down 20-3 on the road. Things will get better.

Carter - agreed %100

How does Coleman get his in the back of the head by a pass, and is wondering / surprised by what hit him in the back of the head??

i’m having a hard time getting past that one.

Unbelievable!!!

13 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Worst by an NFL qb since 1992 with over 30 attempts. 

Is that really true?  That's crazy.

Allen was off and trash, but how does an NFL offense run the ball effectively during the game but still end up doing so awful?  The wr talent is cheeks, but our OC really really sucks right now.

Not being able to have any go to plays or the ability to set things up is sub high school level.

We had 7 or 8 negative plays, including a few awful attempts at screens (almost all to the left side on first down) and some obvious runs blown up, but 21 incomplete passes all go for 0 yards as well.  So we are at 29 or 30 of mid 60 plays that got zero or fewer yards.  I know we have less skill talent than last season, but holy cannoli it's not like we are marching out the sick and the crippled here.  An NFL OC has to be able to get some production.

I remember in 2021/22 a buddy of mine (non bills fan) commenting the dabo offense just looked like Allen on shotgun and a bunch of guys running at trying to get open.  We have promoted from within twice since then.

The offensive basis for this team has some shocking flaws that have papered over by Josh Allen.  Well he's a bit hurt and his magic went away the last two weeks, so now we have the worst performing o in the NFL for two games.

I don't know how people can have confidence in our front office given this drop off.

We are clearly understood on O and the recipe to beat us is not hard to pull off.

Disgusting 

Silver linings: Dorian Williams is starting to pull it all together. Bernard is back and appeared to play well. The defense as a whole played clutch football, getting two turnovers and making some key stops. Carter, Solomon, Williams are all really coming on, and that's exciting. If Bishop joins them, we got us a young, upcoming defense, with Benford, Rousseau, and Oliver just coming into their prime. 

I'm not ready to write off this year, but next year looks great, with these players and the draft capital and cap room to add still more talent. 

After sleeping on it, I’ll say once Oliver & Johnson come back, Carter showed enough to warrant more playing time and our 4 man DT rotation should be a strength as the season goes on. 

Smoot looked to have a strong game as he’s getting his legs back under him and with Von eventually coming back, we have a really strong DL. 

Can they show up when it matters? We’ll see, but on paper, this DL should be a strength as the season goes on. 

Dorian Williams continues to ascend.  

Offense needs better WR play.. it is what it is.  We, at least, know what the problem is.  Whether we address it remains to be seen.