Silver Linings

Rigotz

21 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

1. The AFC East is a dumpster fire. The Bills are still a full game up on the rest of the division and the Fins, Jets, and Patriots all look like sub-500 teams.

So what does that mean?  We win the division for the 5th year in a row just to be bounced in the playoffs for the 5th year in a row? I'm only 36, so my prime Bills viewing years were right after the 4 straight and straight into the drought years. I love that McD got us there finally.  But who gives a s#@t about winning the division when there is 0 chance of beating the top dogs in the conference come playoffs?

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Brutal loss. Please post your silver linings here… there are some good ones.

1. The AFC East is a dumpster fire. The Bills are still a full game up on the rest of the division and the Fins, Jets, and Patriots all look like sub-500 teams.

2. Dwayne Carter has been shining as a rookie. Keon Coleman is TBD but at minimum, seems like he can turn into a good role player.

3. Bernard is back. Taron will be back soon. Von will be back soon. Oliver will probably be back soon. Shakir will probably be back soon. Milano will be back for playoffs.

4. We have a ton of draft capital and cap space to make a move this season or next.

3 point loss to a tough team in which we were down 20-3 on the road. Things will get better.

Man I appreciate this thread. With all the (completely unnecessary) doom and gloom it is nice to have a thread I can post in. And I always thought about starting a thread about small positives when we lose and small negatives when we win.

I see many silver linings.

1. Like you said AFC being weak. We can "suck" all year and still win division and have a shot. You never know what can happen come January.

2. All the rookies taking snaps. Carter looked good today, Solomon had some flashes, Coleman with nice TD.  Bishop looked horrible first couple of snaps but it doesn't matter. We need him on the field to learn. By the end of the season no one will call him a liability. Let him play.

3. I thought defense was fine overall. Not their fault offense couldn't do much.

4. McD being aggressive on the 4th down again -> Coleman TD. I agree that not running at the end 3x was a mistake but people are way too dramatic about it.

5. Allen was a little off today but still no INT from him (he had some luck today for sure).

6. Bass.

7. Fans like you :) I know everybody is a fan here and it comes from "fanatic" but I'll never understand why people need to act so overly dramatic in October.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 2

Sure.....having the injured guys return is nice.  But we're not winning anything of consequence with the WRs we have.

I suppose that if you are looking for a silver lining, this all happening before the trade deadline and it becoming painfully obvious we do not have a WR1 or WR2 on this team.  It will take some extreme financial gymnastics thanks to so many bad contracts on this team, but Beane HAS to do something.  Him not doing anything and basically donating another year of Allen's prime is just unacceptable.  Look, I don't want to trade a 2nd for Adams.  I really don't.  But Beane should be calling every team about every WR.

We are desperate for a WR.  Not only that, we are desperate for a WR with some speed that can stretch a defense. 

38 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Brutal loss. Please post your silver linings here… there are some good ones.

2. Dwayne Carter has been shining as a rookie. Keon Coleman is TBD but at minimum, seems like he can turn into a good role player.

3. Bernard is back. Taron will be back soon. Von will be back soon. Oliver will probably be back soon. Shakir will probably be back soon. Milano will be back for playoffs.

4. We have a ton of draft capital and cap space to make a move this season or next.

3 point loss to a tough team in which we were down 20-3 on the road. Things will get better.

too bad we can’t lobby the NFL to let us play solely AFC East teams in the playoffs.  We’d be Super Bowl-bound!

Just now, chongli said:

Jets lost; Dolphins lost. The division is ours, which means playoffs. Just get in...and anything is possible with Josh.

Lot's of time to figure it out still.  Past two weeks it has taken them a half to figure it out on offense.  That has to end. 

• Like (+1) 1

The most optimistic take right now is that the Bills take the season for Babich and Brady to get comfortable by learning on the job. We get some guys healthy by the end of the season (Milano?). The rookies get better with experience, and the Bills make the playoffs because our division stinks.

Then maybe we hit the wild card round with a bit of a hot streak and some of our weaknesses shored up to take a run.

45 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

This team as currently constructed and coached is a dumpster fire. The team's obsession with small, character guys, lack of any sort of ingenuity on offense, and an overrated bad head coach give zero hope for any silver lining. We will struggle against the Jets next week and likely lose.

If so, I would honestly prefer they lose out at that point...we need change on the sidelines and we need a high pick for some REAL talent.

I don’t think you can ever throw in the towel when you have #17 even when he plays like dog sh!t but this definitely seems like a transition year. If it’s one and done in playoffs, assuming we even make them, McClappy needs to go. 

• Agree 1