Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Yea it would be really tight to run a play with 11 seconds left. Falcons had 12 seconds left and got a 14 yard pass and spiked with 1 second left on TNF.

Why would the Texans have needed 10 yards to make things even? You're just assuming that we get 5 yards on 3 rushes? What if we tried running on 1st down and lost yards for a safety? 

Romo ALWAYS says 12 seconds is the cut off. I'm not sure there was a way to get them under 12. I'm more willing to listen to the argument that pass, pass, pass was not the most effective way of trying to convert a 1st down. I agree with that. I think its obsessing about the time thats a red herring.

Burning clock and making them use their timeouts at the end should not have been a consideration at all. Forget run verse pass. The bill should have ran the best plays they thought possible in order to get a first down. That's what mattered.

Also I put the blame on play calling, but I have no idea what Josh is doing here on second down after rewatching it. He has Kincaid wide open for an easy 6 to 7 yards.. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

And that’s where you are wrong….respectfully 

If we showed run they stack it, call their TOs, we run maybe 6-7 seconds off the clock.  We punt they have time to run a play and spike it. 

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

If we showed run they stack it, call their TOs, we run maybe 6-7 seconds off the clock.  We punt they have time to run a play and spike it. 

Come on. Everyone understands the math except you and McD.

PS: We lost!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

They were gonna get 1 play plus a kick unless we converted IMO.

This is true. They would have had 1 play and a kick regardless. But with these caveats:

1) That one play would have been without a timeout, meaning that they wouldn’t have been able to use the middle of the field. No team is risking a spike with 11 seconds left. The game clock could easily run out. They would have had to play the sideline game, which NFL defenses defend in that situation.

2) That one play would have been from 5 or so yards deeper, meaning they would have had to gain 10 or so yards to kick the same length field goal.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is... something.

Yeah…

The whole team knows it was the wrong decision.

McD knows too.

The only folks who don’t know are a few posters on this forum that are holding on to a bad decision.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

This right here. Running it out of the EZ would have been useless anyway. You think punting from our own 5 or from where we did would make a difference in the success of the Texans kick?!? Did you watch the game people? Stroud had two throw aways also. So thise would have been easy completions like they weer all day. we lost. we suck. Josh played brutal once again. And you wonder why he is called overrated????? brutal throws all day. He couldn;t hit the side of a barn in the 1st half.

OK, let's go with that.  Josh was terrible. So why would you want him throwing out of his own endzone given all the risks then?  Tipped ball, holding in EZ, sack, you name it.  Those are high risk plays, especially when your QB is 9 for 30 on the day.  

We ran for 150 yds today. If nothing else, run on first and second down get a few yards, maybe break one for a first down, who knows. Low risk plays, force timeouts.

On third down, play action, roll Josh out, let him throw a short pass or even just run for the first.  What we saw was just bad.

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Come on. Everyone understands the math except you and McD.

PS: We lost!!

Second:

Even if we had run the ball 3x in a row and HOU used all 3 timeouts, we're punting with 20+ seconds left on the clock instead of 16. Everything else being the same the Texans would've had 11 seconds to run a play in the middle of the field and spike it (risky), or a pass to the sideline. 

Third:

Let's say we followed your script and ran the ball 3x and then successfully defended the sideline on the Texans one play..... there's still a good chance Fairbairn makes the 64 yard FG

From another poster a couple pages back.  Not everyone agrees with you.

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

OK, let's go with that.  Josh was terrible. So why would you want him throwing out of his own endzone given all the risks then?  Tipped ball, holding in EZ, sack, you name it.  Those are high risk plays, especially when your QB is 9 for 30 on the day.  

We ran for 150 yds today. If nothing else, run on first and second down get a few yards, maybe break one for a first down, who knows. Low risk plays, force timeouts.

On third down, play action, roll Josh out, let him throw a short pass or even just run for the first.  What we saw was just bad.

Oh, I agree. What we saw was bad. Better, it was brutal. But running the ball was almost the same as white toweling. McD said: "Go get em studboy. Do your thing" knowing full well he couldn't... and didn't.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I repeat, I'd have run the ball too but not cos of the clock. I'd have run it because the risk of a safety would have made me reluctant to drop back from the 2. But unless we converted the 1st down I don't think the timing element would have made much difference. They were gonna get 1 play plus a kick unless we converted IMO.

I’ll repeat as well. I run not only because of the clock, but two, to set up an easier to convert third down through the air.

3rd down and medium vs. 3rd and 10.

you also have the possible option of 3rd and short or picking up the first on the ground. Bills punted on that option though. 

picking up the first through the air is fine but let’s give ourselves an easier option than trying to pick up 10 yards on one play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

No one has mentioned the guy getting about 10 yards on the punt return.  We don’t give them that it’s OT.

If we had run a few times, punter likely not kicking with feet at back of end zone and likely to have gotten off a better punt

1 minute ago, ticketssince61 said:

If we had run a few times, punter likely not kicking with feet at back of end zone and likely to have gotten off a better punt

Just an assumption on your part.  We show run formation they stack it and we run little time off.  Martin’s punt was good, coverage was late.

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I’ll repeat as well. I run not only because of the clock, but two, to set up an easier to convert third down through the air.

you also have the possible option of 3rd and short or picking up the first on the ground. Bills punted on that option though. 

picking up the first through the air is fine but let’s give ourselves an easier option than trying to pick up 10 yards on one play.

So you assume running plays pinned within the 5 yard line would automatically work.

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Just an assumption on your part.  We show run formation they stack it and we run little time off.  Martin’s punt was good, coverage was late.

So you assume running plays pinned within the 5 yard line would automatically work.

not at all but picking up 3-4 yards to get to 3rd and 6 or 3rd and 7 is not outrageous. Worst case scenario is we are at 3rd and 10 which we ended up at anyway but at least we made them burn two time outs.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I don’t understand the thinking at all.

They thought we were going to drive 70 yards in 30 seconds? From our own endzone?

Even if we ran 3 times, got 5 yards, and punted… Houston would have been without timeouts, more time would have been off the clock, AND the kick (if there was one), would have been from 63+.

Maybe mentioned, but Cook was pretty good today. 

Not saying he would have busted a 90 yarder, but better chance than 3 passes from the EZ. Kills some clock if nothing else.

The risk of a hold/safety by passing wasn't worth it. 

The players deserved better. May have lost in OT too, but the players earned the chance. 

Bills fans have seen that intentional grounding not called so many times through the decades. Why did they look the gift horse in the mouth?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

This is true. They would have had 1 play and a kick regardless. But with these caveats:

1) That one play would have been without a timeout, meaning that they wouldn’t have been able to use the middle of the field. No team is risking a spike with 11 seconds left. The game clock could easily run out. They would have had to play the sideline game, which NFL defenses defend in that situation.

2) That one play would have been from 5 or so yards deeper, meaning they would have had to gain 10 or so yards to kick the same length field goal.

Yeah…

The whole team knows it was the wrong decision.

McD knows too.

The only folks who don’t know are a few posters on this forum that are holding on to a bad decision.

I still don't buy we'd have got them to 11 seconds. That is where this disagreement is. Not that they should have run - I agree. The point is only that even if they had run all 3 plays unless they made the first down timewise the result was unlikely significantly different. They'd have had the time for a short pass, a spike and a kick. The only way we could prevent that was making a 1st down.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

This is 2 of the worst coached games in his career, no doubt.   This was very winnable.

16 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The other half of that I don't dispute. It is the clock bit I take issue with. That is a red herring IMO.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I still don't buy we'd have got them to 11 seconds. That is where this disagreement is. Not that they should have run - I agree. The point is only that even if they had run all 3 plays unless they made the first down timewise the result was unlikely significantly different. They'd have had the time for a short pass, a spike and a kick. The only way we could prevent that was making a 1st down.

That would have been extremely risky on Houston’s part (to run a play and spike). And it would have to be a 10 yard play (to make all else equal). That would take some balls. I’m not sure they try that.