Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

Just now, Green Lightning said:

During the crucial moments of a game. When everything is on the line, McD logs onto http://www.dumbass.com for direction. Any ass clown could have coached us into OT, save for McD. He is the worst coach in the clutch ever. Consistently finds ways to lose.

Tell me exactly what you would have done.

2 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Everything else being the same the Texans would've had 11 seconds to run a play in the middle of the field and spike it (risky), or a pass to the sideline. 

I would be shocked if they did this. 11 seconds is about the cut-off for running a play and getting a spike off. And they would have needed to get 10 yards on that play to make things equal.

Thankfully, McDermott all but just admitted at the press conference that it was a mistake so I don’t think we see it again.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Tell me exactly what you would have done.

Run the ball at least 2 times to eat clock and burn their TOs. If close enough on 3rd down, try a pass or a Josh scramble. Throwing out of your endzone 3 times is just stupid. Especially when your QB is 9 of 30 on the day.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

First:

image.png.6b6f5f8c609d8e4530bfc26638a548d2.png

Second:

Even if we had run the ball 3x in a row and HOU used all 3 timeouts, we're punting with 20+ seconds left on the clock instead of 16. Everything else being the same the Texans would've had 11 seconds to run a play in the middle of the field and spike it (risky), or a pass to the sideline. 

Third:

Let's say we followed your script and ran the ball 3x and then successfully defended the sideline on the Texans one play..... there's still a good chance Fairbairn makes the 64 yard FG

That's assuming those runs do nothing and everything else is the same.  Josh had NINE completions on the day. NINE.  I would have more confidence in the running game picking up a first than throwing, plus throwing that deep in your own end are much risker plays.  Tipped balls, holding in the EZ, sack, etc.  

It's not the worst anything. Not even close. It was a normal loss. It sucks. They fought back and got in it and then lost with a last second field goal. When you lose, it is because things go wrong, obviously. There's always something to point to.

On to next week.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Why didn't they run the ball and make the Texans use their time-outs  ??  Maybe Cook with 3 carries could have made the 1st down.  It was insane coaching!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Run the ball at least 2 times to eat clock and burn their TOs. If close enough on 3rd down, try a pass or a Josh scramble. Throwing out of your endzone 3 times is just stupid. Especially when your QB is 9 of 30 on the day.

This is a legitimate alternative to run 3 times.

Run twice, burn two timeouts, then let Josh either pass to an open guy, or scramble for the first.

Passing all 3 times removes any chance of a 3rd down scramble because of the angle of pressure in the endzone.

If its 3rd and 5 or 6 though? Different story.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I would be shocked if they did this. 11 seconds is about the cut-off for running a play and getting a spike off. And they would have needed to get 10 yards on that play to make things equal.

Thankfully, McDermott all but just admitted at the press conference that it was a mistake so I don’t think we see it again.

Yea it would be really tight to run a play with 11 seconds left. Falcons had 12 seconds left and got a 14 yard pass and spiked with 1 second left on TNF.

Why would the Texans have needed 10 yards to make things even? You're just assuming that we get 5 yards on 3 rushes? What if we tried running on 1st down and lost yards for a safety? 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

The last sentence is reasonable.  Running twice would have eaten little clock given they had 3TOs.

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Yea it would be really tight to run a play with 11 seconds left. Falcons had 12 seconds left and got a 14 yard pass and spiked with 1 second left on TNF.

Why would the Texans have needed 10 yards to make things even? You're just assuming that we get 5 yards on 3 rushes? What if we tried running on 1st down and lost yards for a safety? 

Typically you QB sneak on first down. That gets you a yard or two, which gives you breathing room.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

This is a legitimate alternative to run 3 times.

Run twice, burn two timeouts, then let Josh either pass to an open guy, or scramble for the first.

Passing all 3 times removes any chance of a 3rd down scramble because of the angle of pressure in the endzone.

If its 3rd and 5 or 6 though? Different story.

A combo like this would have been reasonable.

Just now, Einstein said:

Typically you QB sneak on first down. That gets you a yard or two, which gives you breathing room.

Would have taken maybe 2 seconds off the clock

11 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I agree but u like our chances a lot more if we can get to 3rd and 6 or 3rd and 7 after two run plays.  Then get a run pass option with Allen rolling out on third down.

worst case scenario we burned some clock and they only have one timeout left.

the first down pass play was extreme arrogance from McD. Or stupidity. Or maybe both.

I repeat, I'd have run the ball too but not cos of the clock. I'd have run it because the risk of a safety would have made me reluctant to drop back from the 2. But unless we converted the 1st down I don't think the timing element would have made much difference. They were gonna get 1 play plus a kick unless we converted IMO.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Would have taken maybe 2 seconds off the clock

The point of the sneak isn’t to remove time. Thats irrelevant. It’s to give you breathing room to run plays without being in your endzone. And it burns a defensive timeout.

McDermott knows he screwed up. He’ll learn from it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

I mean what if we ran it three times and they used all their timeouts and the FG was 5 yards longer? It still would have been good. 

I don't mind the aggression at the end. Didn't execute. Samuel was wide open.  

Offense was absolutely pathetic the entire game in every single way possible. 

Allen waa bad receivers were bad Brady was bad. 

They need to figure it out. 

This right here. Running it out of the EZ would have been useless anyway. You think punting from our own 5 or from where we did would make a difference in the success of the Texans kick?!? Did you watch the game people? Stroud had two throw aways also. So thise would have been easy completions like they weer all day. we lost. we suck. Josh played brutal once again. And you wonder why he is called overrated????? brutal throws all day. He couldn;t hit the side of a barn in the 1st half.

• Agree 1

Just now, Einstein said:

The point of the sneak isn’t to remove time. Thats irrelevant. It’s to give you breathing room to run plays without being in your endzone. And it burns a defensive timeout.

McDermott knows he screwed up. He’ll learn from it.

We weren’t on the one yard line I don’t believe.