Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

By this logic, any decision that results in a loss, was the right decision.

If Josh took the ball and purposefully ran out of the back of the endzone, creating a safety and losing the game, that’s the “right” decision just because the outcome is the same (a loss)? No.

I don’t think the decision was wrong.  And as I’ve said if we had run and they kick the FG people would be screaming we should have thrown to get a first down.  A first down was the only thing that guarantees getting to OT.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

I don't think you're understanding that the timeouts don't really matter to Houston when they get the ball back in good field position and only need 5 yards or so to get into field goal range.  They can run a couple plays out of bounds and kick.

I don’t think you understand how defenses play in this situation. They guard the sidelines. They force you to throw the ball to the middle of the field, where time runs out.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I don’t think the decision was wrong.  And as I’ve said if we had run and they kick the FG people would be screaming we should have thrown to get a first down.  A first down was the only thing that guarantees getting to OT.

You’re NOT trying to guarantee anything at that point on the field. (Just like you weren’t with 13 seconds.) You’re trying to stack the odds….not guarantee them. 

• Like (+1) 1

No one will ever convince me that there wasn’t a much more proven NFL way of killing the clock and getting to OT.  There was a series of plays they could have run, and then left Houston with no timeouts left at the very worst. low percentage throws to lousy receivers wasn’t the way 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think three runs would have taken 12 seconds. The Bills couldn't risk anything lateral because of the safety risk so they had to be hard fast downhill runs. I think generously maybe 3 seconds per play.

i think 12 is totally reasonable. 3 seconds per run play is the absolute minimum. Get any kind of run beyond the LOS or a push where forward progress is not immediately stopped and you are going to 4-5 seconds easily.

This doesn’t even factor in the possibility of picking up the first on the ground too. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’re NOT trying to guarantee anything at that point on the field. (Just like you weren’t with 13 seconds.) You’re trying to stack the odds….not guarantee them. 

Preach!

so.. many… people … they just don’t understand this concept.

This thread is essentially an IQ test of the members of this forum. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I have no problem with ONE throw. On first down. You line up UNDER CENTER, with Cook behind. Then you throw a quick swing, or little quick slant. Instead they lined up in Shotgun,  no rb and tried long development plays after a whole game of seeing your wrs can't separate. Absolutely INDEFENSIBLE.

• Like (+1) 1

People assume we would have gotten no yards running the ball.  If they even gotten a couple yards, it makes 3rd down easier.  Could have dialed up a pass play from any play in the book in that situation.  The problem for me is not exactly that they passed the ball.  Its the type of plays they ran.  They were actually trying to get enough yards to kick a field goal.  What they should have done is tried to just get a first down.  This was the time for the short quick plays. A quick slant or a dump off. Wheel route. Something.  Just get a few yards each play and try and get that FD. Instead they tried running sideline plays in hopes they could get in FG range with clock left.

Its bad coaching for the second week in a row.  Its a bad offensive game plan. Its bad roster management by Beane too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

i think 12 is totally reasonable. 3 seconds per run play is the absolute minimum. Get any kind of run beyond the LOS or a push where forward progress is not immediately stopped and you are going to 4-5 seconds easily.

This doesn’t even factor in the possibility of picking up the first on the ground too. 

If they get the first the time is irrelevant. That was the only way to assure that they didnt get a kick at it.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

For all those defending this decision, I hope you enjoy it - because I don’t think you’ll ever see it done again. I think McDermott knows he made a mistake and I don’t think he would ever do it again. 

First:

image.png.6b6f5f8c609d8e4530bfc26638a548d2.png

Second:

Even if we had run the ball 3x in a row and HOU used all 3 timeouts, we're punting with 20+ seconds left on the clock instead of 16. Everything else being the same the Texans would've had 11 seconds to run a play in the middle of the field and spike it (risky), or a pass to the sideline. 

Third:

Let's say we followed your script and ran the ball 3x and then successfully defended the sideline on the Texans one play..... there's still a good chance Fairbairn makes the 64 yard FG

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

If they get the first the time is irrelevant. That was the only way to assure that they didnt get a kick at it.

I agree but u like our chances a lot more if we can get to 3rd and 6 or 3rd and 7 after two run plays.  Then get a run pass option with Allen rolling out on third down.

worst case scenario we burned some clock and they only have one timeout left.

the first down pass play was extreme arrogance from McD. Or stupidity. Or maybe both.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

For all those defending this decision, I hope you enjoy it - because I don’t think you’ll ever see it done again. I think McDermott knows he made a mistake and I don’t think he would ever do it again. 

McDermott suddenly acting like Brandon Staley.  What the hell was he thinking?!  it’s indefensible 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I do not think running stacked it more necessarily.