Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

37 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

I will not mention any names.  However it appears as if draconator rolled his eyes.

Just now, Mikie2times said:

He out kicked the coverage which we sort of needed him to do. If he doesn't they would be in field goal range. The punt in that spot was excellent. 

Agreed. It was an excellent punt and even though the return was like at least 10 yards the coverage was good enough. If the Texans had no timeouts. They are going for a Hail Mary or Fairbairn likely misses from 63+. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Our three long developing pass plays took 16 seconds off the clock. Three runs and three time outs take maybe half that. So those extra 8 seconds mean they still have time for a play plus a kick. 

The only way to avoid it was a first down IMO.

How is it that we ALL know this but McD doesn’t? Hes toast! 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Our three long developing pass plays took 16 seconds off the clock. Three runs and three time outs take maybe half that. So those extra 8 seconds mean they still have time for a play plus a kick. 

First pass play: 4 seconds

Third pass play: 4.5 seconds

It was just the one pass that took longer than normal.

I just went back to our previous drive. Our average rush plays, from snap to whistle, were between 4 and 6 seconds.

Even if they have 3 or 4 more seconds, it’s not enough time. They would have to snap the ball, run a play, rush to the line, spike the ball, in 11 seconds. 

And it would have to be a 10+ yard completion to equalize what they got from what we did.

And I have no problem going for a first down. But you HAVE to run twice on first and second down, make them take the timeouts, then on third down you pass, but only if someone is wide open, otherwise tell Josh to uncork it deep. 

If was absolutely brutal coaching.

Edited by Einstein

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

First pass play: 4 seconds

Third pass play: 4.5 seconds

It was just the one pass that took longer than normal.

I just went back to our previous drive. Our average rush plays, from snap to whistle, were between 4 and 6 seconds.

Even if they have 3 or 4 more seconds, it’s not enough time. They would have to snap the ball, run a play, rush to the line, spike the ball, in 11 seconds. 

And it would have to be a 10+ yard completion to equalize what they got from what we did.

Not true. It was

1st - :32 to :27 - 5 seconds

2nd - :27 to :21 - 6 seconds

3rd - :21 to :16 - 5 seconds

If you could have got them to 11 seconds I agree it isn't enough. You need 12. But I'm not sure, save from the Bills getting a first down OR them failing to complete a play, you could stop them being in kicking range. They were always likely to have about 15 seconds to play with.

Edited by GunnerBill

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Bingo. 

45 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

I actually think last week was a much worse coached game. It wasn’t even close at the end. At least this game came down to the last play of the game.

I think another underrated point:

If the bills ran the ball on 1st down for 3-5 yards, there was also a slight chance Houston doesn't even call a Timeout and just lets it go to OT.

We will never know as McDermott/Brady thought the best option was to throw a low percentage, back shoulder throw to Coleman

32 minutes ago, Einstein said:

In that case, you’re missing the yardage gained on the run plays.

If we gain 5 yards on the run plays, and Houston can’t gain 5 yards on the last second play (because they have 0 timeouts), the 59 yard kick is now 69.

You think they’re making a 69 yarder?

I don’t…

I don’t think they’re breaking a NFL record.

so,

i woulda liked to have seen them run something w josh having the ball in his hand, an rb around him and a te out in front, make the d chose and at worst he rumbles forward and gets yards.  i was shocked there were no runs by allen on that last posession.

second, i agree if you run the ball you force the time out, and maybe get a few yards, but what's even more important is that it gives your punter a normal distance to kick, he had a compressed pocked because of how backed up they were.  that woulda given us a shot at a deep and angled kick, and their punt returner was stinking all day, so if he doesn't field it perfectly then we force OT on the punt alone, and even if it was it's very low likelyhood that it's in FG range, so they get to run what, maybe 1 or 2 plays with no TOs?

it's not being conservative vs aggressive, it's being dump and doing the obviously wrong thing at the wrong time.

29 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Or quick pass over the middle.  Or quick QB sneak.  Get the the line and spike it.

Those things all take time.  The refs have to set the ball. The line has to make sure its set.  It doesnt happen in just a couple seconds. At least 5 secs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

I think another underrated point:

If the bills ran the ball on 1st down for 3-5 yards, there was also a slight chance Houston doesn't even call a Timeout and just lets it go to OT.

We will never know as McDermott/Brady thought the best option was to throw a low percentage, back shoulder throw to Coleman

Not that far backed up. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not true. It was

1st - :32 to :27 - 5 seconds

2nd - :27 to :21 - 6 seconds

3rd - :21 to :16 - 5 seconds

I have the actual time stamps (from the frame rate). They were as I said.

But you’re going off the game clock - not the timestamps - which makes sense.

Regardless, the point is still the same. Our run plays were taking between 4-6 seconds on average. Which is exactly what our passes took on that drive. 

The extra 2-3 seconds they may have received still would not have been enough time, with no timeouts, to get into field goal range.

IMG-3899.jpg

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, colin said:

second, i agree if you run the ball you force the time out, and maybe get a few yards, but what's even more important is that it gives your punter a normal distance to kick, he had a compressed pocked because of how backed up they were.  that woulda given us a shot at a deep and angled kick, and their punt returner was stinking all day

An excellent point that I hadn’t considered yet.

From every angle, it was a terrible decision.