Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

Easily one of the dumbest coaching moves I have ever seen. Ive watched football for almost 50 years and that along with 13 seconds are in my top 5 of coaching that cost you a game, or gave it away unnecessarily!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, McBean said:

He’s never getting fired so this is not worth discussing.

It would take multiple years of losing seasons for Pegula to consider it.

I actually like McD. We can do a lot worse.

But let’s call a spade a spade… regardless of his security with the team.

25 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

Agreed terrible decision making.  When Josh and the Offense is off why run 3 pass plays from the end zone and give them time. 

terrible clock management and game awareness. 

Our only chance with garbage wrs is to run 3x, burn as much clock as possible.  Maybe get 5 yards and punt leaving them not enough time for 1 pass.

Agreed terrible decision making.  When Josh and the Offense is off why run 3 pass plays from the end zone and give them time. 

Our only chance with garbage wrs is to run 3x, burn as much clock as possible.  Maybe get 5 yards and punt leaving them not enough time for 1 pass.

28 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

Terrible coach and terrible decisions like usual 

Just now, Einstein said:

If we assume Cook just gets 1.5 yards per carry. Thats 5 yards. Plus they wouldn’t have had the 5 yards they got on the last second play. So you’re 10 yards back. 

They need 10 yards, with no timeouts, and not enough time to run a play and spike the ball.

There only chance would be to throw a 10+ yard out. And that only works if the coaches are stupid enough to not defend the sidelines.

There is no defending this. It was stupid. 

And his kick would have been good from 63 or so.

I guarantee - absolutely guarantee - if we had run it 3 times, kicked and they get the FG the same know-it-alls here would be screaming about how we should have thrown it.

Coaching was not good in the first half, better in the second.  Josh was not good today though; if he’s more like his usual self it’s a win.

• Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

Tony Dungy built and nurtured a fantastic Bucs team but he was fired.

Andy Reid got his Eagles team to the conference championship game a million times and even to the Super Bowl once but it was Doug Pederson years later that won the SB

Two things can be true.  McDermott can be a good head coach.  He can also have hit his peak as a coach of this team.

Knowing how every game is going to end isn’t “Billsy” it’s repetitively bad coaching.

25 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I don’t understand the thinking at all.

They thought we were going to drive 70 yards in 30 seconds? From our own endzone?

I think McD feared a poor punt/coverage and timeouts ultimatley not being a factor because Houston would start with the ball at our 40d yard line or even better field position. But IMO, that is the wrong mindset to have.

You run on fist and second down hoping to at minimum pick up 3 yards and give yourself a chance on 3rd down to pass if that is ultimately what you want to do. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, oldmanfan said:

And his kick would have been good from 63 or so.

Maybe it would have.

We honestly don’t know - because angles change the further back you kick.

Bur even if it was good from 63, then you tip your hat and say good kick. At least you made it harder on him.

You don’t defend stupid coaching just because making it harder on them, may or may not have mattered.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Our three long developing pass plays took 16 seconds off the clock. Three runs and three time outs take maybe half that. So those extra 8 seconds mean they still have time for a play plus a kick. 

The only way to avoid it was a first down IMO.

I don't think the decision to press in that spot is as black and white as people are saying. I can see why we pressed for the first down. Having said that, based on how the passing offense performed to that point, the running plays made more sense. If they get the ball back with anything under probably 12 seconds and the ball is complete in bounds it's OT. They become so limited without any time outs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think McD feared a poor punt/coverage and timeouts ultimatley not being a factor because Houston would start with the ball at our 40d yard line or even better field position. But IMO, that is the wrong mindset to have.

You run on fist and second down hoping to at minimum pick up 3 yards and give yourself a chance on 3rd down to pass if that is ultimately what you want to do. 

Bingo!

Even if you’re going to pass, run the first two downs and set up a 3rd and short.

Then you can even run a play action and perhaps open up a big play.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Alright, so we've got the Hail Murray, 13 seconds, etc. ......what are we calling todays fiasco?

Did the penalty on the broncos game winning field goal miss not get a name?

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

Alright, so we've got the Hail Murray, 13 seconds, etc. ......what are we calling todays fiasco?

Hail Murray wasn't a coaching blunder though I don't think.

Some  coaching blunders I think were 13 seconds, "12 men on the field" (Broncos) and the Pats game last year giving up a 40 yard screen pass to McCorkle. Even week 1 I think it was a coaching blunder to have Bass kick a returnable ball on the kick off. 

Then we just have the track record of McD's defenses being statistically dominant in the regular season and almost never showing up in the post season outside of a couple wild card games. 

Just now, Mikie2times said:

I don't think the decision to press in that spot is as black and white as people are saying. I can see why we pressed for the first down. Having said that, based on how the passing offense performed to that point, the running plays made more sense. If they get the ball back with anything under probably 12 seconds and the ball is complete in bounds it's OT. They become so limited without any time outs. 

Yea its not black and white. I'd have run too. But it only makes their decision at the end slightly more difficult. Say the Bills ran 3 times for 5 yards and the put goes and is returned the same distance. The Texans then need 10 yards to get to where they kicked but throwing 10 yards and getting up to spike it is pretty doable with 15 seconds or so. Romo always say as long as you are throwing within 10 yards 12 seconds is the cut off for the complete pass in the middle and spike.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

No one has mentioned the guy getting about 10 yards on the punt return.  We don’t give them that it’s OT.

He out kicked the coverage which we sort of needed him to do. If he doesn't they would be in field goal range. The punt in that spot was excellent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Bingo!

Even if you’re going to pass, run the first two downs and set up a 3rd and short.

Then you can even run a play action and perhaps open up a big play.

Yep. And all things considered we actually got a great punt and good coverage. If they don't pick up the extra four yards on the final play the kick is likely missed. But I will definitely take my chances on a 63 yard FG at that point. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea its not black and white. I'd have run too. But it only makes their decision at the end slightly more difficult. Say the Bills ran 3 times for 5 yards and the put goes and is returned the same distance. The Texans then need 10 yards to get to where they kicked but throwing 10 yards and getting up to spike it is pretty doable with 15 seconds or so. Romo always say as long as you are throwing within 10 yards 12 seconds is the cut off for the complete pass in the middle and spike.

Agreed.  Good luck getting anyone else.

Just now, Mikie2times said:

He out kicked the coverage which we sort of needed him to do. If he doesn't they would be in field goal range. The punt in that spot was excellent. 

Punt was good but we needed better coverage.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

No one has mentioned the guy getting about 10 yards on the punt return.  We don’t give them that it’s OT.

That is cos backed up Martin has to line drive it and that means the coverage team doesn't have the necessary time to get down the field. I'd kind of factored that in to my thinking before the series even started. You are gonna be giving up some yardage on the return.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1