Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Process said:

I mean what if we ran it three times and they used all their timeouts and the FG was 5 yards longer? It still would have been good. 

What if we made it harder on them? Uh, good? That should be the goal?

1) A kick looking good from 64, when kicking from 59, does not mean it actually would have been good from 64. Why? Because when kicking from 64, the entire angle of the kick changes. Much easier to block too.

2) Running 3 times, removes all timeouts from Houston. Know what that means? It means they can’t run that last second play to gain another 3 cards. So it wouldn’t have been 64, it would have been more like 67. 

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I think I'm done with Sean, he's done great with taping together defenses as well as digging us out of the ground but his crunch time coaching is something to be at awe of for all the wrong reasons.

Why in God's name would they choose 3 passes out of their endzone when Josh has struggled in large part due to his receivers just not being useful in the slightest. Effectively he was telling Josh, I know that your receivers aren't getting open, and a hold can cause us to lose on a safety, and you literally just got out of the blue tent but go for a dagger from the 3..... WTF! 

• Agree 4

AWFUL coaching today.  Brady is either overthinking it or he just doesn’t have it.  His offense is extremely predictable.  I’m a football fan and I could walk into the Jets facility tomorrow and have a gameplan to shut us down next week.  Focus on the run 1st down, take away the middle of the field on 2nd and 3rd.  Make no name WRs beat you all the way down the field by forcing them to make consistent plays on the outside.

Say what you will about the no challenge everyone saying “we wouldn’t have won it”.  But there were 2 minutes left in the half we weren’t getting the ball back.  You throw the flag how many times has this team been burned by challenges that make NO SENSE.  The play the odds and maybe they change the call.

And at the end of the game you have ZERO time outs and you are starting within your 5 yard line.  You aren’t winning the game.  It’s your #1 job to PREVENT them from winning the game.  You make that team burn their time outs so that they don’t have the opportunity to run a small play to get better field position you force them to kick from where ever they field it.

This coaching staff just doesn’t have it.  We have consistently repeated the mistakes from 13 seconds year after year after year.  McDermott is a fantastic coach but his deficiencies are the death of this team yearly.

I don’t mind the fact that we lost.  I am upset with how we lose.

I’m sure I’ll calm down in a day or two but this feels like Groundhog Day 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

There is significantly less talent this year than years past but from an X's and O's and time management perspective it is correct. You have to play for OT pinned that deep on the road.

Yes, it was a 59 yarder but did anyone think he wasn't making it. Houston tried to give it back with turnovers and penalties and this staff had no answers.

This one hurts.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s pointless complaining about it … nothing is going to change anytime soon … Allen has been let down this season …. his supporting cast outside of Cook is terrible .. we all knew this was going to be a possibility this year …

They might still win a terrible division but they aren’t a real contender with this team and coaching ..

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

1) That’s not how kicks (and physics) works. A kick looking good from 64 kicking from 59, does not mean it actually would have been good from 64. Because kicking from 64, the entire angle of the kick changes. Much easier to block too.

2) Running 3 times, removes all timeouts from Houston. Know what that means? It means they can’t run that last second play to gain another 3 cards. So it wouldn’t have been 64, it would have been more like 67. 

Yes I realize they wouldn't have been able to run that play that's why I brought up the FG being 5 yards longer. 

I see zero reason to believe based on the kick we saw that he wouldn't have made a slightly longer kick. 

Our pathetic offense couldnt complete a single freakin pass to move the ball and get the game to OT. That was the issue. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Lionel Hutz said:

There are probably 10 games that were worse than this under McDermott. He has to go.

haha yeah Eagles game last year, Broncos last year, Vikings game, and 13 seconds were easily worse than today; and that’s just off the top of my head

Actually, maybe scratch the Vikings game as I guess that was more horrific execution at the end of regulation and then OT.

Edited by RiotAct

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

There is significantly less talent this year than years past but from an X's and O's and time management perspective it is correct. You have to play for OT pinned that deep on the road.

Yes, it was a 59 yarder but did anyone think he wasn't making it. Houston tried to give it back with turnovers and penalties and this staff had no answers.

This one hurts.

Agreed that we are lacking in talent.

Mack Hollins losing track of TWO deep passes, one that hit him in the hands, is inexcusable.

The Texans/Stroud seemed to be trying to give the Bills the game. Not to be outdone, McDermott gives it right back.

Do the Bills have an analytics guy on the staff? The odds of something bad happening when you go for it from your own three with 32 seconds left and the other team has three timeouts left must be much higher than those of something good happening.

McD does not appear to understand timeouts. What made 13 seconds possible was that the Chiefs had three time outs.

We're overly conservative all game and then started throwing when they should've been conservative. Maddening. This whole staff has no prayer of every winning a SB. Do you want to keep winning wild-card games before getting dispatched by better-coached teams in later rounds, or do you want to try something different and possibly go to the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Process said:

Yes I realize they wouldn't have been able to run that play that's why I brought up the FG being 5 yards longer. 

In that case, you’re missing the yardage gained on the run plays.

If we gain 5 yards on the run plays, and Houston can’t gain 5 yards on the last second play (because they have 0 timeouts), the 59 yard kick is now 69.

You think they’re making a 69 yarder?

I don’t…

I don’t think they’re breaking a NFL record.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

Oh please.  Run and TO x 3.  Takes maybe 10 seconds.  We kick, they throw a quick out.  Done.

• Dislike 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Oh please.  Run and TO x 3.  Takes maybe 10 seconds.  We kick, they throw a quick out.  Done.

So you’re saying the coaches would have left the sideline open? So you agree the coaches are an issue?

• Like (+1) 1