Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think the intent was to get a first down and then call 3 running plays to help run out the clock.  

McDermott, about 10 mins ago at the press conference: “I wish I had that back”.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Einstein said:

McDermott, about 10 mins ago at the press conference: “I wish I had that back”.

Yeah.  Whatever the intent was, I wish he had that back too.  

We didn't deserve to win that game but at the end we had a chance thanks to a couple of takeaways and blew it.  

I'd still be complaining about Brady if we had won but it's a lot more fun criticizing and whining with a W.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2024 at 4:17 PM, sullim4 said:

I reserve "worst" for situations like 13 seconds... but this is yet another late game coaching failure for McDermott.

This isn't even the hardest part of coaching quite frankly.  The bozos in the stands knew what to do - make them take the timeouts.

Speaking of 13 seconds, did you see how far back the safeties were playing the play before game winning FG?  20 - 25 yards behind LOS.  Hilarious.  I guess that was to prevent a Hail Mary.  

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I don’t agree with this. Sean is a good leader, a good man, and a quality coach in many facets.

He has end of game issues, but EVERY coach will come with some issue they struggle with.

I genuinely don’t think we could find anyone better. I don’t even think we can find anyone that’s even equal to him.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I don’t agree with this. Sean is a good leader, a good man, and a quality coach in many facets.

He has end of game issues, but EVERY coach will come with some issue they struggle with.

I genuinely don’t think we could find anyone better. I don’t even think we can find anyone that’s even equal to him.

It's been eight years. How many more years unti Josh Allen is past his prime?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yea I don’t get it. This is PROFESSIONAL sports. Franchises fire coaches for FAR less. It’s cut throat. He’s stale. He’s continuously poor on game day. His coordinators stink. FIRE HIM

• Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

Speaking of 13 seconds, did you see how far back the safeties were playing the play before game winning FG?  20 - 25 yards behind LOS.  Hilarious.  I guess that was to prevent a Hail Mary.  

dude. I don’t get what you all are complaining about. Rewatch the play. The coverage underneath the safeties was in press to take away the short pass, 2 safeties deep incase there’s a beater. The Texans had time to attack anywhere on the field with a play given the time outs in pocket. 

25 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Not advocating him to be fired by any means but come on man… there’s plenty coaches out there who can equal what he’s done when you have a QB as talented as Josh. 

Someone better? Which is what you would want. That’s the real conundrum. 

Edited by Sojourner

1 hour ago, <bills4life> said:

I’m not disputing that the results could have been the same. But to allow them to have timeouts is coaching malfeasance. Also the way I described makes it more difficult to kick the fg.  How many times have you seen a team lose like that? I never have.  And I have been watching football for half a century. Same can be said for 13 seconds. And the Denver debacle last year. Extremely poor coaching decisions. 

Run run run punt would have been the safe conservative thing to do.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Beating a dead horse here, but if the score was 42 - 42 and our offense was humming, sure take some shots.  Plenty of time to move into FG range.  But did McDermott watch the first 59 minutes of the game?  Josh was 9 for 27 going into the last series for a 100 yards and change.  Plus he was dinged up.  Needed to kill clock, not because it was the “no brainer” thing to do but because the context made it the smart thing to do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

With the money we are spending on our front four, scratching my head why we can't get to the QB in a game changing moment.  Realize we didn't have Ed O & Von, but AJE, Groot, Daquan have got to generate some pressure.  Texan's OL was nothing special; grades out below 50%ile.

On 10/6/2024 at 4:13 PM, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

Hey, at least McDermott admitted he made a mistake, right? 😂🤣😂🤣

2 hours ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

Had Terry fired Sean after :13 like he should have and kept Daboll from the Giants along with Leslie, we'd have 1-2 Super Bowl rings right now. 

I totally agree with this

You have 1 of 3 qbs regardless of how the game went if you can win it in regulation you give him the ball.  Looks terrible.  Like Bill going for it on 4th and 5 from the 30 vs Indy.  I dont hate it.  Under 2 minutes give Allen the ball.  He has been insanely successful for his career in late drives.   

24 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

Hey, at least McDermott admitted he made a mistake, right? 😂🤣😂🤣

I totally agree with this

0 chance.  He is Mcdermott light. 

On 10/6/2024 at 4:17 PM, sullim4 said:

I reserve "worst" for situations like 13 seconds... but this is yet another late game coaching failure for McDermott.

This isn't even the hardest part of coaching quite frankly.  The bozos in the stands knew what to do - make them take the timeouts.

We are talking regular season here - just sayin

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Beating a dead horse here, but if the score was 42 - 42 and our offense was humming, sure take some shots.  Plenty of time to move into FG range.  But did McDermott watch the first 59 minutes of the game?  Josh was 9 for 27 going into the last series for a 100 yards and change.  Plus he was dinged up.  Needed to kill clock, not because it was the “no brainer” thing to do but because the context made it the smart thing to do.

Even for McD who has trouble in high stress situations, this was a no brainer. The solution was easy for even a high school coach. Not even a high pressure situation. Yet what unfolded was one of the dumbest series of plays in Bills history. If Brady made that decision to throw 3 times he is an idiot but if McD allowed it or was not in the loop about it, he is a bigger idiot. If they both agreed on the 3 throws they have graduated to imbecile level and should both be replaced. Its hard to forgive Brady who has been doing this for a few years in the NFL but McD? he has been a head coach for 7 years! How does an experienced coach screw that up? 

3 hours ago, Sojourner said:

dude. I don’t get what you all are complaining about. Rewatch the play. The coverage underneath the safeties was in press to take away the short pass, 2 safeties deep incase there’s a beater. The Texans had time to attack anywhere on the field with a play given the time outs in pocket. 

Not advocating him to be fired by any means but come on man… there’s plenty coaches out there who can equal what he’s done when you have a QB as talented as Josh. 

Someone better? Which is what you would want. That’s the real conundrum. 

I mean the issue for me is you need a coach that’s not only good but more or less a scheme fit or you’re probably taking a big step backwards early  especially on the defensive side to maybe take a step forward when they rebuild the roster over a few years.  I’d argue a new coach at this point probably wastes more josh than what is happening currently

then a lot of teams get in the constant cycle of hiring and firing coaches every 3 years because they never get the team quite built the way they want it and someone else takes over and starts the process all over again