Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

The game was lost when the Bills had to settle for 3 after getting the turnover at the Houston 12 yard line.  

People are making far too many assumptions on "what would have happened" if the Bills ran the ball.

First, the Texans were mostly stuffing our run game in the 2nd half and backed up to the end zone they were likely heavily playing the run.  Assuming we would have gotten 3-5 yards "easily" is simply not something you can assume. We just as easily could have gotten stuffed in the backfield and lost yards on the first play. 

Second, they had all their timeouts, it wouldn't have mattered if they ran 3 times, they still would have gotten the ball back because it was unlikely the Bills would have gotten a first down based on how they had been running.

Third, Houston could have done exactly the same thing they did, spiked the ball and then kicked the FG. 

At the end of the day, the O lost this game, they were atrocious. The game was there for the taking and we played one of the worst offensive games I have seen...on par with the Jaguars game that they lost 9-6

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

You’re right - they likely would have gotten a kick off. But all else being equal, It would have been a longer kick. And every yard you add to kick, reduces the probability of making it. And there’s also a chance time runs out during the spike play - heck, it was getting dangerously close to running out with Watson buying time on the second to last play even with a timeout.

You need a *minimum* of 12 seconds to run a play and spike the ball. That doesn’t mean it can’t take, 13, 14, 15 seconds. 12 seconds is minimum. Especially when the defense knows you can’t throw deep and puts 10 defenders within 5-8 yards. 

The absolute best chance of stacking your odds to win the game (outside of a first down), is to take away their timeouts. That drastically limits their playbook. 

Sure, you want a first down. But we don’t live in a world where we always get what we want. That is why you must have backup plans. You have to understand every chess move before it happens. That is what made Belichick so damn deadly. Outside of having the GOAT Qb, he simply knew every move before it happened. It was special to watch, if not nauseating as well. In an interview about the Super Bowl where they beat the Seahawks, he mentioned that a lot of coaches would have called timeout inbetween the play  before Wilson threw the game sealing INT. And he thought about it. But he had such a great sense for the game that he looked over to the other sideline and could tell that they were in disarray. Position groups were having trouble figuring out who was going in and out, coaches were scrambling, etc. So he decided not to bail them out with a timeout, which would have given them extra time to think and perhaps run the ball. The next play, they intercept Wilson. He just had a great sense for the game and he knew every chess move.

Coaches need to understand the game further than just “dur, need first down, dur”. This isn’t caveman football. If you don’t get that first down, you need a contingency. The best contingency is removing their timeouts.

Sure, they might still get a kick. But that kick is significantly harder without timeouts. Heck, the whole situation is significantly harder without timeouts. Not only are they further back, but their playbook is also limited due to no timeouts. The Bills committed 2 safeties deep on that second to last play because McD knew that with Houston having timeouts, the entire field was fair game. With no timeouts, the Bills could have squatted 10 guys within 5-8 yards of the LOS and it would have been next to impossible for them to gain more than a yard or two before spiking the ball. I think more than likely, Watson throws the ball away with so many defenders squatting. He wouldn’t take the turnover risk.

So yes, the kick may have happened. But the kick would have absolutely been longer - there is practically no way for it not to have been.

It was a failure of thinking. And thankfully McD seems to agree, which means he learned from it. That’s all you can ask for.

I am just not sure I agree with your premise that the kick would absolutely have been longer. I can see why you get there but it is still based on a ton of assumption. I agree, and have from the start, that three deep shots from the 2 was not good strategy. McDermott agrees with that. I just don't accept the part where it radically changes what happens without a first down.

• Like (+1) 1

The list of WTF moments by McDermott and his staff unfortunately continues to grow. With his tenure and experience, these situations highlight the lack of growth and learning from our head coach. It’s beyond disappointing and negates a lot of the good that he’s accomplished.

Houston playoff game might have been the first sign. D allows a 4th and 19 conversion.

13 seconds

Losing to Mac Jones who completed one pass

Vikings game

Denver game

Philly

KC last year

And now Houston

I know I’m missing some more. McDermott preaches the right thing but the actions of the team and understanding the moment tells a different story.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

The game was lost when the Bills had to settle for 3 after getting the turnover at the Houston 12 yard line.  

I respect this view viewpoint. 

To make the view even more micro, the game was lost when the line could not contain Houston’s pass rush. Allen was bailing to his right repeatedly due to non-stop pressure… which is why that final drive failed.

• Agree 1

Cowherd had a rant on McDermott.  Said Andy Reid in crisis feels like a life preserver for Kansas City.  He's so excellent.  On the flip side McDermott feels like a kettle bell.  Just pulling the team down to the bottom., again and again.

He said the Bills are just throwing away potential playoff homes games against these similar teams. 

• Agree 1

What ifs are not guaranteeing the results you project.  

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

The list of WTF moments by McDermott and his staff unfortunately continues to grow. With his tenure and experience, these situations highlight the lack of growth and learning from our head coach. It’s beyond disappointing and negates a lot of the good that he’s accomplished.

Houston playoff game might have been the first sign. D allows a 4th and 19 conversion.

13 seconds

Vikings game

Denver game

Philly

KC last year

And now Houston

I know I’m missing some more. McDermott preaches the right thing but the actions of the team and understanding the moment tells a different story.

Vikings, Denver and KC were on the players.   Others are combination of coaching and players.  

Facts!

The Bills in last 4 seasons are 13-15 in one score games and 25-2 in others. The common denominator- McDermott

No team presented with the same situation in the last 45 years has throw 3 straight passes inside the 5.

We threw 3 straight low completion % passes and no driver starters or dump offs.

We made these decisions on a day when we ran for 150 yards and Josh was 9 for 30 and harassed the whole game.

Coaching malpractice yesterday-again. There are guys sitting on couches and on bar stools who make better decisions.

We have Marty Schottenheimer as our coach. His style wins games during the season and gets you beat in playoffs.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

13 seconds

Vikings game

Denver game

Philly

KC last year

And now Houston

The question is when does Terry start getting frustrated with it. His opinion is the only one that counts. He is also the only one who could change things. If this does end up being down year, I still think Beane and McDermott will survive and get the 2025 season to turn things around. After that is anybody's guess if things don't improve.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I respect this view viewpoint. 

To make the view even more micro, the game was lost when the line could not contain Houston’s pass rush. Allen was bailing to his right repeatedly due to non-stop pressure… which is why that final drive failed.

Got to the point Allen was bailing in anticipation of getting pressure or releasing the ball early even when it didn't materialize. They got to do something to shore that up.  No real excuse to be that bad in pass pro, especially since they are normally pretty good.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, DaVinci said:

You're 9 for 27  throwing the ball so you throw at the end zone to youre inept recievers. What happened to the Analytics guy?

Also with the poor pass protection and a couple of holding calls Allen had to be aware of the danger of losing the game on a Texan safety if there was holding in the end zone or he was sacked or grounded the ball.  So he wasn't going to sit in a collapsing pocket and calmly survey the field.  It was basically one read and throw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

It was not three bombs.   I agree with what McDermott said after the game.  They should have run it on first and went from there.  My point is the result could very possibly have been the same. You can second guess anything and everything when it does not go the way you want.  People are upset because of the result. If they got a first and got to ot it would not be something discussed much.  Similar to theb4th andn5 td to Coleman.  If he drops that ball and Houston scores then McDermott would be flamed for that.  

I’m not disputing that the results could have been the same. But to allow them to have timeouts is coaching malfeasance. Also the way I described makes it more difficult to kick the fg.  How many times have you seen a team lose like that? I never have.  And I have been watching football for half a century. Same can be said for 13 seconds. And the Denver debacle last year. Extremely poor coaching decisions. 

23 hours ago, Einstein said:

I don’t understand the thinking at all.

They thought we were going to drive 70 yards in 30 seconds? From our own endzone?

Even if we ran 3 times, got 5 yards, and punted… Houston would have been without timeouts, more time would have been off the clock, AND the kick (if there was one), would have been from 63+.

I think the intent was to get a first down and then call 3 running plays to help run out the clock.  

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Even if this team makes a trade / figures things out and wins the AFC East.....

the season will end in January in large part due to coaching blunders

and everyone knows it.  Including the team 

So true...the script will always be the same. Josh's sheer athleticism wills this team to 9-11 wins every year. Almost guaranteed playoffs. Then when the elite teams in the afc gather, the coaching fails. It's a story as old as time. If there was a bet in Vegas where the Bills make the playoffs but lose in the divisional round,  I'd take it every year.