Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Joe is right. It was a mistake because they needed a first down and the three plays they ran were not conducive to achieving that aim. The time is a red herring. They needed a first down.

This isn't an opinion. It's a fact. McDermott does not report to Beane. They both report to Terry. It is also true to say that is increasingly becoming the most common structure in the NFL. 

If they go run run run there, Hou doesn't get a FG attempt because they use their TO's. 

Allen was 9 for 27 at the start of that series, our D was DOMINATING , it was so infuriating and baffling man... Smh

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

Agreed terrible decision making.  When Josh and the Offense is off why run 3 pass plays from the end zone and give them time. 

terrible clock management and game awareness. 

And one is a long pass to Hollins.  That guy couldn’t track a ball even if it had GPS.  

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Process said:

I mean what if we ran it three times and they used all their timeouts and the FG was 5 yards longer? It still would have been good. 

I don't mind the aggression at the end. Didn't execute. Samuel was wide open.  

Offense was absolutely pathetic the entire game in every single way possible. 

Allen waa bad receivers were bad Brady was bad. 

They need to figure it out. 

It shows how bad this passing offense is that Baltimore’s secondary was roasted in their first 3 games, the Bills couldn’t do anything against them,  and Burrow just toasted them again.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

If they go run run run there, Hou doesn't get a FG attempt because they use their TO's. 

Allen was 9 for 27 at the start of that series, our D was DOMINATING , it was so infuriating and baffling man... Smh

That is not true.  One he could have hit it from where they got the punt and two the running plays with timeouts would have added a few seconds to the clock.  They needed a first down. 

34 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

That is not true.  One he could have hit it from where they got the punt and two the running plays with timeouts would have added a few seconds to the clock.  They needed a first down. 

Add another 6 yds to that from the three running plays most likely. Also if on 3rd and six throw a high percentage pass play for a couple of yds to at least keep the clock running. But no let’s throw 3 bombs from the end zone when only 4 catches were caught by wr the whole game. Genius!!!

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

McDermott didn't know that Martin would boom a punt from the back of his end zone that resulted in the return man not getting them in field goal range even with no time outs left for the Texans.  It was a tricky situation but run, run, roll out pass/qb eat it if it wasn't there was pry the correct series of calls there.  However, there was no guarantee whatsoever that Houston doesn't get a FG attempt just because they used all their time outs.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

And they get it back with enough time to run a play, spike and kick. 

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

McDermott didn't know that Martin would boom a punt from the back of his end zone that resulted in the return man not getting them in field goal range even with no time outs left for the Texans.  It was a tricky situation but run, run, roll out pass/qb eat it if it wasn't there was pry the correct series of calls there.  However, there was no guarantee whatsoever that Houston doesn't get a FG attempt just because they used all their time outs.

Completely right. I think it was the wrong plan to maximise our chance of a first down. I don't think it was the wrong plan to stop them kicking a FG. There was no right plan to stop Houston kicking a FG if the Bills didn't convert. 

FIRE Coach McDermott and Beane. NOW Both are OK but NOT championship caliber and they never will be. Coach Andy figured out McDermott years ago and thats why after Leslie  Fraiser was thrown under the bus, no coach of weight or worth his salt will work for him. Thats why they promote from within. We have JV Coordinators. Same goes for the Special Teams coach he threw under the bus in 13 seconds. He brought out that 13 seconds defense on the last play so it was he who made that 13 seconds D call. It was so bizarre I thought the game was fixed. The man is spaced out and I would like to know where I can get the drugs hes on. Or his bookies

• Haha (+1) 1

"You are a complainer but you never fix anything..."

Did you say Walt Patulski? 

Well being passive doesnt change the world, angry complainers do.  We also fix things. Lets say those who make the same decisions year after year expecting the same results are not only doomed to failure obviously also have issues between the ears and have hit their peak.  7+ years and he hasnt learned end of game management nor time out usage. 

Remeber that last playoff game in Tennesee when his defense lost it in the final seconds. How bout 13 seconds. That D alignment was so bizzare in KC I thought the game was fixed. Then he rolls it out yesterday to give them a guaranteed 5 yards for a long FG. What you dont see that? Lets go back to philly,last year in a monsoon 50+ yard field goal. Denver? 

Andy Reid also sees it like I do so look him up as he only won a couple of Super Bowls. Coach Cub Scout as reported by the national media by former disgrunteled coaches he fired after throwing them under he bus say he freezes ike a deer in headlights at the end of close games. His players also know it. Hear that comment from the locker room yesterday? 

Yesterday further substantiates the above. Its on him and hes NO nice guy. Hes a MF in drag who plays the religious card. Get him otta here. 

Trust the Process 

1 hour ago, <bills4life> said:

Add another 6 yds to that from the three running plays most likely. Also if on 3rd and six throw a high percentage pass play for a couple of yds to at least keep the clock running. But no let’s throw 3 bombs from the end zone when only 4 catches were caught by wr the whole game. Genius!!!

It was not three bombs.   I agree with what McDermott said after the game.  They should have run it on first and went from there.  My point is the result could very possibly have been the same. You can second guess anything and everything when it does not go the way you want.  People are upset because of the result. If they got a first and got to ot it would not be something discussed much.  Similar to theb4th andn5 td to Coleman.  If he drops that ball and Houston scores then McDermott would be flamed for that.  

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

Wait, wasn't Einstein a pretty smart guy in real life???

So, an ironic nickname here?

15 hours ago, Einstein said:

No, this takes the cake

Last week was bad, but we were out coached and outmanned. 

This week, the coaching design to pass 3 times out of your endzone instead of making Houston burn a single timeout is outragoeus

Oh, I get the Einstein nickname now.  Yes, simple sarcasm and irony...

Like:  "Hey, Einstein, you have to turn the hot water spigot to get the hot water to come out."

Makes much more sense now, an extremely apt nickname.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Well, I'd do run, play-action to short/mid pattern, then figure out third down from there, just running it if it's third and long.

1 hour ago, Matt_In_NH said:

People are upset because of the result. If they got a first and got to ot it would not be something discussed much.  

Cant speak for others, but I can say this is NOT true for me. I was screaming at my TV to hand the ball off before they took a single snap. Why? Its logic and game theory.

Around the NFL, broadcasters were live-criticizing the decision to throw *as it happened*. Not in retrospect. As it was occurring.

This is not a hindsight-is-20/20 situation. The football world was lamenting these horrible decisions while the crash was happening.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And they get it back with enough time to run a play, spike and kick. 

You’re right - they likely would have gotten a kick off. But all else being equal, It would have been a longer kick. And every yard you add to kick, reduces the probability of making it. And there’s also a chance time runs out during the spike play - heck, it was getting dangerously close to running out with Watson buying time on the second to last play even with a timeout.

You need a *minimum* of 12 seconds to run a play and spike the ball. That doesn’t mean it can’t take, 13, 14, 15 seconds. 12 seconds is minimum. Especially when the defense knows you can’t throw deep and puts 10 defenders within 5-8 yards. 

The absolute best chance of stacking your odds to win the game (outside of a first down), is to take away their timeouts. That drastically limits their playbook. 

Sure, you want a first down. But we don’t live in a world where we always get what we want. That is why you must have backup plans. You have to understand every chess move before it happens. That is what made Belichick so damn deadly. Outside of having the GOAT Qb, he simply knew every move before it happened. It was special to watch, if not nauseating as well. In an interview about the Super Bowl where they beat the Seahawks, he mentioned that a lot of coaches would have called timeout inbetween the play  before Wilson threw the game sealing INT. And he thought about it. But he had such a great sense for the game that he looked over to the other sideline and could tell that they were in disarray. Position groups were having trouble figuring out who was going in and out, coaches were scrambling, etc. So he decided not to bail them out with a timeout, which would have given them extra time to think and perhaps run the ball. The next play, they intercept Wilson. He just had a great sense for the game and he knew every chess move.

Coaches need to understand the game further than just “dur, need first down, dur”. This isn’t caveman football. If you don’t get that first down, you need a contingency. The best contingency is removing their timeouts.

Sure, they might still get a kick. But that kick is significantly harder without timeouts. Heck, the whole situation is significantly harder without timeouts. Not only are they further back, but their playbook is also limited due to no timeouts. The Bills committed 2 safeties deep on that second to last play because McD knew that with Houston having timeouts, the entire field was fair game. With no timeouts, the Bills could have squatted 10 guys within 5-8 yards of the LOS and it would have been next to impossible for them to gain more than a yard or two before spiking the ball. I think more than likely, Watson throws the ball away with so many defenders squatting. He wouldn’t take the turnover risk.

So yes, the kick may have happened. But the kick would have absolutely been longer - there is practically no way for it not to have been.

It was a failure of thinking. And thankfully McD seems to agree, which means he learned from it. That’s all you can ask for.

• Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Cant speak for others, but I can say this is NOT true for me. I was screaming at my TV to hand the ball off before they took a single snap. Why? Its logic and game theory.

Around the NFL, broadcasters were live-criticizing the decision to throw *as it happened*. Not in retrospect. As it was occurring.

This is not a hindsight-is-20/20 situation. The football world was lamenting these horrible decisions while the crash was happening.

I concede people questioned it at the time...just like they questioned going on 4th and 5 at the time.  My take on it is they shoudl have run but it is getting way more play and over reaction than it deserves.  You don't want a coach who always does the conventional safe thing.

Silver lining? 

McD is out of coordinators to throw under the bus. He's already blamed the ST coach,  the D coordinator, and fired the OC midseason (this one was probably warranted) because of his signature losses.  There's nobody left to shift blame to and I think that's why everyone is even more heated than they might have been last year. 

We should have stuck with Daboll and fired McD after the 13 seconds meltdown.