Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

They already asked him.

He admitted it wasn’t smart.

I'll have to watch it.  

I mean, why did not know it wasn't smart at the time?  It wasn't even close to a "hindsight" thing.  It is BASIC COACHING.

I don't think even a high school coach would have passed there. I'm really dismayed. And I've been a McD supporter in general, but he totally blew that, and really let down a bunch of guys who had worked so hard to get that game tied.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Success said:

I'll have to watch it.  

I mean, why did not know it wasn't smart at the time?  It wasn't even close to a "hindsight" thing.  It is BASIC COACHING.

I don't think even a high school coach would have passed there. I'm really dismayed. And I've been a McD supporter in general, but he totally blew that, and really let down a bunch of guys who had worked so hard to get that game tied.

Agreed and I plan to watch it later to hear more. I’m just reading what the Bills reporters are saying.

Its mind boggling to me, personally.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

The amount of amazing losses associated with MCDS legacy continues to grow.  Losing a game  where you won the turnover ratio is hard enough to do.   We got 3 points if two turnovers.  Then we are gifted the ball with 30 seconds , really should be assured of ot , tho mcd loses all those as well, and he allows 19 seconds to go off clock w no time outs burned and no yards gained to make the Texans at least have to earn some yardage for the fg , not an automatic kick. 

MCD continues to lose every unique end game situation ; he may be the worst end game coach ever.  No game is safe with mcd if any time is left on the clock.  They were without Collin’s as well, after he burned the rookie safety, who has to know your main job was to not get beaten deep  

THIS TEAM IS ALMOST DEVOID of leadership other than a quiet Allen, who played terribly today,, but without weapons! And still has not changed from lading by sitting alone on the bench.   That’s ok , it’s his style.  But some games we end up losing to lesser.talent and it’s a yearly thing with uninspired quarters or half’s. Beane has saddled him with a very weak wr crew once again with Knox, sanders, hollins really disappearing to a point where they will end up getting Allen hurt as he won’t give up.  

So Beane  needs to do something to protect  Allen , Brady is not the savior. As each game passes , teams will take away the run more , while running on us and beating the sift zine in third downs as they have for 7 years. Also, the  safety postion cost us our first gains as many predicted and  will cost more if they stand pat.  This type of repetition of poor, needless losses, is why KC  plays most playoff games at home , and why they are trying to three peat as we keep chasing them.

Home field advantage is huge , yet this staff is ok to give away games like today. One of the worst offensively coached games I can remember in a while, , like the Jax 10-3 or 9-6 games. Getting a fg after starting at the 13 of Texas was on Brady , like the endgame , and it’s the same things for almost 8 years. It’s similar poor coaching, and it’s embarrassing as a franchise. This is why the franchise and ALLEN , are not believed in as press waits for the inevitable   I know it’s early in the season , but the same patterns keep showing up.  Team tends to start slow , gets behind , presses , manages to close the gap, but loses with poor end game coaching. It’s entertaining, but usually only for parts of a game, while every year other staffs have seemed  to innovate, like Detroit / Vikings this year, and despite a franchise qb , this regime has never approached the great 90’s teams. Lots of injuries , but same type of errors suggest the message might be getting old. 

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Agreed and I plan to watch it later to hear more. I’m just reading what the Bills reporters are saying.

Its mind boggling to me, personally.

let me guess McDermott will watch tape and learn from it

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, iwishitwerecolder said:

I was watching the game, that. Was. Horrible. That call to pass it three times at your own 5 with no timeouts and NOT send it to overtime is horrible. Makes me wanna throw up. I hope he gets fired for that.

Again, you run it where?  Into the middle?  Each play is like 2-3 seconds because they call their TOs.  We wind up punting and giving them the ball with around 10-15 seconds.  They have time to run a play, get to the line, spike it.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

Burning clock and making them use their timeouts at the end should not have been a consideration at all. Forget run verse pass. The bill should have ran the best plays they thought possible in order to get a first down. That's what mattered.

Also I put the blame on play calling, but I have no idea what Josh is doing here on second down after rewatching it. He has Kincaid wide open for an easy 6 to 7 yards.. 

He also had Coleman open. That was what I was saying earlier... the Problem was not that they passed the ball. The problem was they were looking to march down the field and win the game instead of just trying to get a FD and go to overtime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BufBills83 said:

No, but passing 3 times or running 3 times and not getting a first down results in the same outcome.

NO, it does not! Ever.

the critical factor is Time left v.s. TOs!

Just like in 13 seconds you must burn time and force Time Outs!

Both McD and yourself can’t grasp that.

Joe Marino spends the first portion of this podcast explaining why that final sequence was so poor. He concedes that a 1st down there was necessary to ice the game going to OT. But, in that context we needed to run the most efficient possible plays to pick up 10 yards. Instead we launched three low percentage passes downfield in a game where our WRs had caught 4 of 18 targets. That final sequence was about giving the team the best possible chance to win the game and Joe is baffled that we did the opposite.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

Why the F were we defending the Hail Mary when everyone knew Houston wanted 5-10 yards and to kick a FG?!?!?  That was absolutely fireable on its own.  Should’ve been cover zero bringing the house

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, McBean said:

He’s never getting fired so this is not worth discussing.

It would take multiple years of losing seasons for Pegula to consider it.

Totally agree.  My fear with Terry  pegula is that he is more businessman than than actual fan.  The value of the team has to have increased substantially.  Why would Terry risk changing anything from a financial investment point of view?  

• Agree 1

Prevent defense with 2 safeties 25-30 downfield preventing the deep pass to Nico Collins. Great situational awareness football. McD is playing 3-dimensional chess to Bobby Slowak’s 2-dimensional checkers. 

Edited by Dr.Sack

Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of hierarchy up top in this organization.  I don't think beane could fire mcd even if he wanted to.  McD might actually be higher up than Beane is.  

We need structure and a gm who can and will hold coaches accountable.  (Just like coaches hold players accountable)

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

I agree it was a poor decision at the end.  It wouldn’t have mattered if our QB wasn’t the worst player on the field.  He sucked and that’s why we lost.  While not a well coached game, this definitely wasn’t the worst coached game. 

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Joe Marino spends the first portion of this podcast explaining why that final sequence was so poor. He concedes that a 1st down there was necessary to ice the game going to OT. But, in that context we needed to run the most efficient possible plays to pick up 10 yards. Instead we launched three low percentage passes downfield in a game where our WRs had caught 4 of 18 targets. That final sequence was about giving the team the best possible chance to win the game and Joe is baffled that we did the opposite.

Joe is right. It was a mistake because they needed a first down and the three plays they ran were not conducive to achieving that aim. The time is a red herring. They needed a first down.

39 minutes ago, TurfToeJam said:

Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of hierarchy up top in this organization.  I don't think beane could fire mcd even if he wanted to.  McD might actually be higher up than Beane is.  

We need structure and a gm who can and will hold coaches accountable.  (Just like coaches hold players accountable)

This isn't an opinion. It's a fact. McDermott does not report to Beane. They both report to Terry. It is also true to say that is increasingly becoming the most common structure in the NFL. 

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This isn't an opinion. It's a fact. McDermott does not report to Beane. They both report to Terry. It is also true to say that is increasingly becoming the most common structure in the NFL. 

That structure only works if the owner plays an intimate role holding the gm/h.c. accountable or has someone to do it for him/her.