Worst (regular season) coached game in the entire McD era

Einstein

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

There is NEVER a circumstance where you run an offense, in a tied game, with 30-some seconds left, out of your own endzone!

You make them burn their timeouts.

Let’s say we get 5 yards on 3 runs… that 59 yard kick is now a 67 yard kick.

Why?

Without timeouts available, the Texans can’t run that last second play to get another 3-4 yards. So you have the 5 yards from the runs, AND the 3-4 yards they got on the last play. 

He isn’t making it from 67.

And don’t even get me started on not challenging the Kincaid catch and instead taking TWO timeouts into the half.

Stroud gifted us a punt, when they should have been kicking a go-ahead field goal… and we return the favor by throwing 3 times out of our endzone!?!?

I don’t know how anyone disagrees with this. Play calling and execution have been horrible since DC’s have had a chance to study us and  formulate a defense for what we are doing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I don’t know how anyone disagrees with this. Play calling and execution have been horrible since DC’s have had a chance to study us and  formulate a defense for what we are doing. 

Brady needs to adjust his schemes.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Process said:

Burning clock and making them use their timeouts at the end should not have been a consideration at all. Forget run verse pass. The bill should have ran the best plays they thought possible in order to get a first down. That's what mattered.

Also I put the blame on play calling, but I have no idea what Josh is doing here on second down after rewatching it. He has Kincaid wide open for an easy 6 to 7 yards.. 

As he said it's almost like they didn't know the score. They were running plays indicative of what you'd expect if they were losing.  Absolute headscratcher.  

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

That would have been extremely risky on Houston’s part (to run a play and spike). And it would have to be a 10 yard play (to make all else equal). That would take some balls. I’m not sure they try that.

Why not? What is the risk for them? That it goes to overtime? It wouldn't have been risky. They'd have had the 12 seconds they needed as long as they completed a pass they'd have been kicking from a makeable spot. 

When I saw Allen lining up in the shotgun on that last series, I was really mystified - I figured they were trying to fool them, but obviously they'd still run it.

I hope he gets asked about that series all week.  He needs to explain that.

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

I reserve "worst" for situations like 13 seconds... but this is yet another late game coaching failure for McDermott.

This isn't even the hardest part of coaching quite frankly.  The bozos in the stands knew what to do - make them take the timeouts.

And now we have 32 seconds

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Why not? What is the risk for them? That it goes to overtime? 

Yes. 

Giving up a 65 yard kick to maybe hopefully get closer…but also maybe don’t get any chance. Thats risk.

I don’t think most coaches do that.

• Disagree 1

33 minutes ago, Process said:

Burning clock and making them use their timeouts at the end should not have been a consideration at all. Forget run verse pass. The bill should have ran the best plays they thought possible in order to get a first down. That's what mattered.

Also I put the blame on play calling, but I have no idea what Josh is doing here on second down after rewatching it. He has Kincaid wide open for an easy 6 to 7 yards.. 

When Allen is overpressured he reverts to his forcing the ball downfield mode. It’s a fatal flaw. I thought he had it kicked the first few games this year but when the pressure really came on, bam right back to it.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Yes. 

Giving up a 65 yard kick to maybe hopefully get closer…but also maybe don’t get any chance. Thats risk.

I don’t think most coaches do that.

I don't think they kick from 65. I think they run a play as long as they have 12 seconds or more. That is how it is coached up and down the league. And I don't see how they wouldn't have 12 seconds or more.

The Bills had to get a 1st down on offense or stop their one play from scrimmage to stop them having a kick for the game. 

Going bombs away from the 2 was not the percentage way to get the 1st down. But whether they did that and didn't get it or ran into the pile three times and didn't get it the calculation for Houston on the other side woulda been very similar.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

When Allen is overpressured he reverts to his forcing the ball downfield mode. It’s a fatal flaw. I thought he had it kicked the first few games this year but when the pressure really came on, bam right back to it.

The line has been awful. There’s a guy running free at Josh on every pass pay.

2 minutes ago, Governor said:

The line has been awful. There’s a guy running free at Josh on every pass pay.

How can we not have an answer for this? It’s going to keep happening, If Brady doesn’t have an answer, Allen will get hurt next week.

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

How can we not have an answer for this? It’s going to keep happening, If Brady doesn’t have an answer, Allen will get hurt next week.

Yeah, I think teams are just blitzing us constantly now. Josh can’t roll out to his right and step into a throw. He’s running for his life backwards diagonally to the right and throwing off his back foot, or just getting smashed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Governor said:

Yeah, I think teams are just blitzing us constantly now. Josh can’t roll out to his right and step into a throw. He’s running for his life backwards diagonally to the right and throwing off his back foot, or just getting smashed. 

Teams are running lots of pressure packages, blitzes and overloads because they don't fear the Bills ability to make them pay downfield. Until the Bills have guys who can threaten to make you pay down the football field on the outside we will continue to see defenses teeing off. 

Just now, RyanC883 said:

the only hope was this was some genius ploy designed to demonstrate why we need better WR’s, but that’s unlikely.  

Oh I think Brady is sending messages. Its why he keeps sending running backs deep to the outside in fringe redzone scenarios. He is saying to his bosses "I'm using my backs out here cos my outside receivers suck." 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Success said:

When I saw Allen lining up in the shotgun on that last series, I was really mystified - I figured they were trying to fool them, but obviously they'd still run it.

I hope he gets asked about that series all week.  He needs to explain that.

They already asked him.

He admitted it wasn’t smart.

• Thank you (+1) 1