Out coached 2 weeks in a row

TwistofFate

I don't fault our defense. They did everything they could and gave us chances.

The fault lies on Beane for the weapons, or lack thereof, he put around Josh and for Brady for being a predictable and unimaginative play caller. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I dont question throwing it there. Try to catch them off guard. Everyone and their mother assumes your running the ball. If you run the ball, the Texans most likely stuff it and use their time outs. Still punting from inside your 10. Still giving them great field position for a game winning field goal. I like being aggressive. Id rather lose a game taking a chance then conceding and hoping to make it to OT.

11 minutes ago, Aesop said:

I dont understand this thread? Bills out played the Texans in the 2nd half. Comes down to a FG. I would say the coaches and players adjusted very well in the 2nd half.

You don't understand? 

How did that last Offense series look? 

This team was in a massive hole the first half. 

1 minute ago, Aesop said:

I dont question throwing it there. Try to catch them off guard. Everyone and their mother assumes your running the ball. If you run the ball, the Texans most likely stuff it and use their time outs. Still punting from inside your 10. Still giving them great field position for a game winning field goal. I like being aggressive. Id rather lose a game taking a chance then conceding and hoping to make it to OT.

Catch them off guard? Throwing bombs? 

Get the first down.  That should have been they offensive plan. 

Run the clock unless we hit a big play.  We were in a terrible position inside our own 5.  First down allows us to reset and go to OT in a much better position. 

8 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don't fault our defense. They did everything they could and gave us chances.

The fault lies on Beane for the weapons, or lack thereof, he put around Josh and for Brady for being a predictable and unimaginative play caller. 

Nah, 19 second possession at the end of the second half and 16 second possession at the end of the game, are on the HC as much as the OC.  The turnovers were gifts. This is  a coaching loss. 

Just now, ganesh said:

The DC did ok...He adjusted in 2nd half and gave away only 2 FGs. 

yeah but the play calling by Houston was just as atrocious as ours during the second half. Very predictable and easy to defend. Difference was our offensive calls were a little worse with little to no relief for the QB. Houston had them and they gave their guy enough time. 

The whole series after the fumble recovery in the RZ tells you all you need to know. 

Many called it, they should have done the opposite of what everyone knew was happening on first down with Trubisky coming in. What have you got to lose? 
The 3rd down was even worse. Every single player in the EZ. Disgusting. 

Josh didn’t have a great game by any means but I’m crediting that to poor play calling and Al-Shaair for the Texans. 
That LB was absolutely unbelievable on sniffing out Josh on the spy. 

1 minute ago, TwistofFate said:

Catch them off guard? Throwing bombs? 

Get the first down.  That should have been they offensive plan. 

Run the clock unless we hit a big play.  We were in a terrible position inside our own 5.  First down allows us to reset and go to OT in a much better position. 

I said I dont mind throwing it. Not throwing bombs. That is Josh's fault in his progression. Hero ball Josh. Its like you think the play call was everyone go deep. Go back and watch all the routes run during those last three plays. Texans didnt bite and played coverage. The only question I can have is running empty. I believe on 2nd and 3rd down they ran empty, showing the Texans no threat of running the ball.

I agree that the DC did well in the 2d half. He's doing it with smoke, mirrors and rubbing alcohol fumes because of all the injuries.

Problems with the O are more difficult to diagnose. Not one of Allen's better days. His ball placement could have been better on some plays. At times it seems the OL filed to pick up blitzers or were disrupted by same.  Receivers often had no separation.

It's difficult to put this all on the OC. I'd need to see the all-22.

The quick game we saw in the three wins has disappeared the last two weeks. The Ravens played man alot and the Texans did not seem to play a lot of two deep. If they took the short game away then medium to long game should be open but I don't know that Allen had enough time. All-in-all the O looked out of sync and that speaks to execution rather than lousy play-calling.

11 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

I agree that the DC did well in the 2d half. He's doing it with smoke, mirrors and rubbing alcohol fumes because of all the injuries.

Problems with the O are more difficult to diagnose. Not one of Allen's better days. His ball placement could have been better on some plays. At times it seems the OL filed to pick up blitzers or were disrupted by same.  Receivers often had no separation.

It's difficult to put this all on the OC. I'd need to see the all-22.

The quick game we saw in the three wins has disappeared the last two weeks. The Ravens played man alot and the Texans did not seem to play a lot of two deep. If they took the short game away then medium to long game should be open but I don't know that Allen had enough time. All-in-all the O looked out of sync and that speaks to execution rather than lousy play-calling.

There’s room for improvement yes but the issues were on full display today so I completely and whole heartedly disagree with the “problems on O are more difficult to diagnose”. 

The skill positions let Josh down on a lot of his throws. Cook should have been targeted far more. 

Mack Hollins blew that TD early in the game. He slowed down due to bad tracking of the ball. You saw poor tracking on the ball again on the interesting play selections pinned at the goal line when the Texans had 3 TOs. A reasonable WR with that step on the defender is likely to be getting hands on the ball if not catching it. 

Samuel annd MVS are awful. Very few plays are ever successful when theyre involved. 

Keon Coleman is still raw and made some oopsies. He did however make up for it with that TD. You can give him a pass as he’s a rookie. 

Without Shakir we knew there would be a problem. The problem is just average players at the wide receiver. It’s really as simple as that. These guys are who they are. One or two games in the season that leave you hopeful. Very little else. 

Two. TWO turnovers on back to back drives and we came away with 3 points. The drive we got 3 points from we gained ZERO yards. 

The theme in those two drives? Throwing to MVS and Samuel on key 3rd downs. 

In fact, every failed third down that resulted in FGs or a Punt were to Coleman/MVS/Hollins/Samuel except 2; One was challengeable to Kincaid. 

The problem is unreliable players at a position of importance. We had a reliable guy all regular season but wasn’t when it mattered in the playoffs. What’s going to happen with the 3 journeymen who’ve never proved reliability in their careers? That leaves it to Shakir, Kincaid/Knox, Cook and a rookie who is just as unreliable. 

Not to turn this post into a “trade” statement but today was clear there has to be someone acquired at that position group who is reliable to make a play of the ball comes their way. 

Play calling needs improvement too but a guy who can let Shakir/Kincaid/Cook work the underneath and short game is looking like an absolute necessity for us to make progress in the post season, if we even get there.