10/6/2024 - Bills at Texans post game thread.

BuffaloBill

14 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

I think the notion that McD is actively neutering the offense is insane and absurd.

Actively?

no.

philosophically?

yes

no killer instinct.

soft approach.

slow to react.

Won’t veer from game plan.

McD is out of his element at this point.

I hope he gets fired sooner than later, BUT, in the future, he could take a team to the SB, and win it, but not anytime soon, and not this team.

• Like (+1) 1

People can’t actually be this dense to criticize passing on the last offensive sequence?

I can only imagine the outrage after three runs, followed by 3 timeouts and the same outcome.  “Conservative McClappy turtles again!”

We needed at least to get the first down to get to OT and there was enough time to think about getting the game winning FG.

But I guess we need to focus on anything but Teflon going 9-30.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Now that I've had time to sleep on this game, here's a few thoughts and frustrations. I'm fine with the bills throwing at the end, really don't think it would've made a difference. However, if you're gonna throw, why not take some deep shots? I mean doesn't kc live off this? You throw deep and maybe get a pi call, and all of a sudden they're in fg range. Throwing 10 yard passes at your goal line does absolutely nothing. Brady needs to get more creative. Our recievers are 3 and 4 depth recievers. Don't need to run trick plays, but have to do something to create some space. Maybe more motion, some slants etc. Gotta stop with the 1 yard screens to Samuel. 

When you're throwing from your own end zone and facing a lot of pressure all day, I can understand not throwing deep balls b/c you risk a sack. And even a hand off running play could be risky (given we'd been stuffed a number of times).  That's why at least one QB sneak (on first down) to burn time/force timeout would have been a good start.  And maybe we gain 2-3 yards and get more breathing room?  And then either another QB sneak or play action pass on 2nd down?

And to be clear, my philosophy at that point in the game is to get to OT.  We were on our own 3 yard line!  No need to try to win the game from that spot/situation.  No need to do anything fancy.  Just try to move the ball a bit and either get a first down or at least kill clock//make them use multiple time outs.

Edited by TheWei44

2 minutes ago, bills742 said:

Maybe Josh was trying hero ball and McD wasn't fully to blame for the end of game debacle.

or maybe mcd was saying check down

or singing lil john turn down.

or turn that frown upside down.

regardless, if your coaching staff cannot hold acountability to even their best players and help contain their actions than they are failing. not saying this is the case but this is something Daboll did do to Josh. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, bills742 said:

Maybe Josh was trying hero ball and McD wasn't fully to blame for the end of game debacle.

Why is Shavers on the field? He was also on the  field when it was 3rd down when they settled for tying FG. 

Edited by BananaB

10 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

When you're throwing from your own end zone and facing a lot of pressure all day, I can understand not throwing deep balls b/c you risk a sack. And even a hand off running play could be risky (given we'd been stuffed a number of times).  That's why at least one QB sneak (on first down) to burn time/force timeout would have been a good start.  And maybe we gain 2-3 yards and get more breathing room?  And then either another QB sneak or play action pass on 2nd down?

There is zero chance they call a QB sneak after Allen bonked his head.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, bills742 said:

Maybe Josh was trying hero ball and McD wasn't fully to blame for the end of game debacle

Coleman's not really that open. The corner is coming down on him as soon as he stops the route and there's really not a lane to cleanly throw that ball to Kincaid. He's being backpedaled, I wouldn't have a lot of confidence that he's getting it over the D-Line. 

Don't get me wrong though, it's 100% the wrong decision to throw to Hollins ever. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Mango said:

i am going to be very interested in the all 22 this week to see how much of this was a coaching/gameplan issue, wr issue, or decision making issue. 

Based on the pocket I'd say the throw over the middle or sides would of been difficult to keep the ball low. I see it as if he looked at Kincaid but with the pocket where it was and him not daring to scramble or else a holding call ends them he chooses the long ball hoping Hollins can make up for his earlier blunder with the intention to make sure it can't be picked easily. The one option he had was to gun it to Ty Johnson up top but it would of needed to be a timing route to a RB which isn't exactly a comfortable play. His progression looks as if both top guys weren't even on the play's initial reads however. He had a short play to Keon potentially but I can understand his hesitation to risk a pick 6.  

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

You said it your self it was his worst game as a pro. How in the world is it not on him. His decision making in the first half put the team in a hole. Josh was a major part of the issues yesterday. Yes the receivers let him down at times but it’s not all on them. People need to stop thinking he’s perfect and can’t do any wrong. He’s an extremely talented but flawed QB. 

I don't know what QB in the world makes yesterday a success. No clear options downfield. No altertness for short passes. Constant pressure in his face. Weak ass play calling. It was his worst game, yes. But not every poor QB performance is a result of the QB. 

Edited by Danger Mouse
  • Disagree 1

I’m also looking forward to the All-22. Josh had a horrific game but I’d like to see if his decision making has regressed.

Are our receivers as bad as I think they are? Were there easy plays to be made that Josh just passed up going for deeper shots?

And speaking of the deep ball, when’s the last time Josh hit one? My perception is that his deep ball has sucked now since last year. He’s missing wide open guys deep on the regular and when he does hit one, they drop it.