10/6/2024 - Bills at Texans post game thread.

BuffaloBill

A few quick observations:

1.  Ravens recognized that Allen's big plays and extra time generally come from rolling to the right and putting immediate pressure on Allen when he does that neutralizes his ability to make a play.  Texans copied that defensive game plan and Josh was forced to make throws from the pocket.

2. Brady's offensive play calling and game plan were awful.  Same running plays and too many first down runs.  Heavy rush but no screens.  

3. As others have noted, this game highlighted the need for a true number one WR.  Texans offense lost all of its momentum after Collins exited the game and Josh did not have an open WR to throw to.  Eagles offense also has played poorly without Brown.  The need is clear.  Interestingly, Diggs is not that guy.  He is better than anything we currently have, but he could not fulfill the number one WR role after Collins left the game.

4. Have to give the undermanned defense props for its overall performance.  Collins leaving the game helped, but they generally played strong against the run for the entire game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I know there are bigger issues to talk about from this game than kickers but hear me out...  When was the last time an opposing kicker missed one at the end of the game?  Didn't most of you feel that the 59 yarder was almost a foregone conclusion?  It was reminiscent of last year when the Bills had the Eagles dead to rights when Jake Elliot banged a 59 yarder into a driving rain to send the game into overtime.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, butch rolle said:

I know there are bigger issues to talk about from this game than kickers but hear me out...  When was the last time an opposing kicker missed one at the end of the game?  Didn't most of you feel that the 59 yarder was almost a foregone conclusion?  It was reminiscent of last year when the Bills had the Eagles dead to rights when Jake Elliot banged a 59 yarder into a driving rain to send the game into overtime.  

Anything under 70 yards is automatic for most kickers.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Does anyone really believe Allen is this bad or maybe he just has a trash group of receivers that cannot create separation,  I pick the later

I mean he’s had worse wrs and played better than he did today so…..Lot of blame to go around. I mean he had Kincaid open deep and underthrew it, and could have made a better throw on the deep throw to Hollins.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Does anyone really believe Allen is this bad or maybe he just has a trash group of receivers that cannot create separation,  I pick the later

He’s not that bad, but he’s streaky and has things he could improve. He needs to take ownership of the offense, that’s what he’s paid to do and should be doing at the highest level at this point in his career. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, bouds said:

I mean he’s had worse wrs and played better than he did today so…..Lot of blame to go around. I mean he had Kincaid open deep and underthrew it, and could have made a better throw on the deep throw to Hollins.

Allen definitely was forcing the issue with trying to stretch the field.  That being said, the deep pass to Hollins seemed to be spot on.  Hollins appeared to lose track of the ball or pull up for some inexplicable reason.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Today was both. Josh was off, but ya it's definitely an issue with the receivers not creating separation.

Im the biggest Josh supporter, but he missed some passes he usually makes in his sleep today 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, bouds said:

Has he had worse WRs? I think today's star studded WR lineup is probably the same as the Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes, Charles Clay days.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Has he had worse WRs? I think today's star studded WR lineup is probably the same as the Kelvin Benjamin, Andre Holmes, Charles Clay days.

Don't forget Zay Jones, lol.

I mean at this point I think this group is a little better than that one, but man, we are in bad shape if we're comparing this group to that group.  Remember when this front office traded for Matthews?  Jesus they can't scout WR.

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty much all I've been thinking after these last two games, but especially after today's game, is that it sure seems like that Josh is feeling the "I have to do this all myself" sort of thing again. And nothing good will come from that. I don't know if we need better coaching, a better member of the O-line, or a true WR1, but we sure as hell need something and we need it soon.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

Just watched McDermott's press conference, not very inspiring! He's a good not great coach that makes way too many coaching errors at this stage in his coaching career. So frustrating at how many opportunities have been squandered....

He’s a good football coach no doubt but a horrible game day coach.  He’s blown too many games with stupid stupid decisions 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Reminds me of the guys we used to trot out in the Coach Gailey era.  Donald Jones, Stevie Johnson, Roscoe Parrish, TJ Graham, etc

Stevie could get separation. Very well. The rest of the group? Oooof. 

12 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Pretty much all I've been thinking after these last two games, but especially after today's game, is that it sure seems like that Josh is feeling the "I have to do this all myself" sort of thing again. And nothing good will come from that. I don't know if we need better coaching, a better member of the O-line, or a true WR1, but we sure as hell need something and we need it soon.

We need a #1 WR most desperately.  Shakir is a very good #3 slot guy that could be an ok #2.  Coleman can make some plays.  The rest are non factors.