10/6/2024 - Bills at Texans post game thread.

BuffaloBill

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

But this reminds me of the old days- the play calling looks bad because the coaching had to revise their plan after such poor execution.

When your QB can't hit anyone on target & is absolutely floundering out there, you reign it in & change the way you're calling the game. They'd run on 1st & 2nd down because they stopped believing they could throw the ball. 

That's what happens when you have 9 whole completions all game. There will be multiple receivers who have more receptions this week. Then when they wanted to pick up that 1st down, Allen proved again he couldn't find the target. 

People look at things in a vacuum in hindsight. "They should've ran 3 times to kill Houston's timeouts!" Ok, but then the Texans don't call plays the same way they did anyway, and could've still got in FG range. We've seen the Bills go super conservative & play not to lose, then get screwed over anyway. Then everyone is crying about the lack of aggressive play calling & blaming McDermott for the loss anyway.

This is the problem with WRs and TEs who can’t create separation. Or play calling that can’t design it. The QB has to throw wide and make plays on his own

1 minute ago, paulmm3 said:

Part of the reason the passing game was bad was the bad first down running game forced us into lots of obvious long passing downs. More a criticism of offensive playcalling than James Cook who did have some good runs.

I see what your saying but just no ............. the passing game was bad because it was bad.  Allen missing guys, drops, bobbles, bad execution, and Allen leaving the pocket mixed with bad blocking.  A 1st down run for 2 or 3 yards was looking pretty good given the negative plays with the poorly executed screens and Allen getting dropped several plays in a row.  You keep running the ball because it slows down the rush, you might pop one, and 2nd and 7 is better than 2nd and 10 or worse.  We were lucky it wasn't Trubisky out there.

2 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Welp - Josh sucked. Big time. He can't hit the long ball if his life depends on it. Starting to become an issue. We are all clamoring for new stud WR's. Can Josh hit them? the 1st half Josh was brutal. Missed 4 throws that should have been receptions/TD to Coleman. He makes stupid decisions game after game. Our boys were open. He missed them. Unreal. And again, you wonder why he is called overrated?!? Josh is good, but he's showing his true colors. Above average with a tendancy to play hero sugar rush ball. No accuracy past 20 yards.

Haha this board is so funny.  Like I agree he was bad this game but this post is full of massive exaggerations and I disagree with it but I will then be labeled as blindly defending Josh 🤣

3 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Welp - Josh sucked. Big time. He can't hit the long ball if his life depends on it. Starting to become an issue. We are all clamoring for new stud WR's. Can Josh hit them? the 1st half Josh was brutal. Missed 4 throws that should have been receptions/TD to Coleman. He makes stupid decisions game after game. Our boys were open. He missed them. Unreal. And again, you wonder why he is called overrated?!? Josh is good, but he's showing his true colors. Above average with a tendancy to play hero sugar rush ball. No accuracy past 20 yards.

Insane take if you actually watched the game. I doubt you did though.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BILLieve85 said:

But it is. Because they’re become predictable. This is a JV offense. 

Predictible doesn't excuse horrible execution.  Dropped passes and bad throws have nothing to do with predictable.  Again Allen got hit on multiple plays and we're Lucky they didn't take his helmet.  Running the ball was not part of the problem or the reason we lost.

End of the day ever since Brady took over the Bills offence we have become a run first team with focus on short passes.  They no longer scare teams with their passing attack and big chuck plays.  The defence was not great but they made enough plays today to win this game. Running on first and second downs when you have a QB with the strongest arm in the NFL is a pathetic joke and that happened on a couple of key drives in that 4th quarter.  McDermott is pushing this caveman football approach with 2 TE'S and and big receivers who can block for the run. Mack Hollins is not an quality NFL receiver and that explains why he has been on so many teams.  Do we really need Dawson Knox making 8.5 million and how many catches did he have today. The sad thing is Beane will do nothing and Allen will take the blame. 

• Like (+1) 1

Odd to see so many saying we could not have run the ball at the end. Isn’t that what the whole transformation of this offense was supposed to be? That we could run the ball whenever we wanted to? But now we can’t run with the clock running out? Can get even 5 yards in 3 plays? Even punting from the 10 with less time on the clock and no to’s for hou we are likely in ot. Getting by out of the end changes lots of things. But we can’t run. 

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

They had 3 timeouts

They should have run it on first down like McDermott said but the criticism is harsher than it deserves.  Like you said they had their timeouts.  You could have taken all three at the expense of shorter plays and no chance to convert.  When they coach aggressive and it works people don’t say crap when it does not work out the coach is dumb

cass in point.  If they had not gotten theb4rg and five then Houston scores that is what we would be dicussiong. Since it worked out, not a peep. 

Just now, jkeerie said:

And if Josh does hit on one of those passes, we're all singing differently.  Coach gambled on his QB.

Incomplete passes happen a lot.  Runs always keep the clock running. Don't overthink this.  McDermott himself said it was a mistake. I simply said, coaches should not make the mistake he admitted to already. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, jkeerie said:

And if Josh does hit on one of those passes, we're all singing differently.  Coach gambled on his QB.

I am almost positive they didn’t trust Martin at all there and are not gonna walk into a press conference and throw the punter under the bus.  I honestly was surprised we held them to a 59 yarder and they didn’t start their drive on like the 35 😂

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Haha this board is so funny.  Like I agree he was bad this game but this post is full of massive exaggerations and I disagree with it but I will then be labeled as blindly defending Josh 🤣

enlighten me... what is exaggerated?

Just now, Maine-iac said:

Predictible doesn't excuse horrible execution.  Dropped passes and bad throws have nothing to do with predictable.  Again Allen got hit on multiple plays and we're Lucky they didn't take his helmet.  Running the ball was not part of the problem or the reason we lost.

It’s two fold. This offense needs to be perfect. They just don’t have the players. Or aren’t willing to use them. But running on first and second down so it’s 3rd and long is never the answer. This staff has never put the offense in position to best succeed

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

End of the day ever since Brady took over the Bills offence we have become a run first team with focus on short passes.  They no longer scare teams with their passing attack and big chuck plays.  The defence was not great but they made enough plays today to win this game. Running on first and second downs when you have a QB with the strongest arm in the NFL is a pathetic joke and that happened on a couple of key drives in that 4th quarter.  McDermott is pushing this caveman football approach with 2 TE'S and and big receivers who can block for the run. Mack Hollins is not a quality NFL receiver and that explains why he has been on so many teams.  Do we really need Dawson Knox making 8.5 million and how many catches did he have today. The sad thing is Beane will do nothing and Allen will take the blame. 

This is a great post

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Insane take if you actually watched the game. I doubt you did though.

correct - I was sleeping. Dude, what is insane?? Everyone in my section was syaing the same thing... Josh is off again today. He looked stressed out! When he ran to the dressing room at halftime he ran right by us... looked like he was about to cry for frick sakes. He's frustrated dude. Trust me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

im sure 95% of us at 20-3 thought the game was over...

which of course makes it hurt all the much more after the missed opportunities

houston wanted to give us the dubya n we lacked the killer instinct when need be

hollins missed td, kincaid missed challenge, bishop terrible read on the collins td, list goes on and on

i certainly presumed 3 runs at the end, make them take the timeouts, maybe get 3 yards 3 yards 4 n a 1st down...maybe a quick dump out to cook or johnson, their rb sure seemed to get open on a few dumpoffs, allen could make some1 miss

fairbairns kick looked good from 65 but who knows, with a little more room to punt, martin may have, may have not got more on the kick...

just y not high percentage short 5-7yard outs, dumpoffs,  if u r going to pass...we were not scoring, we had 3 plays to get a 1st down, 15yard low percentage passes are not needed, especially with the dull weapons we had out there...

could go on n on, but the rant is done...

thank god our division is middling...

sad end to a decent 2nd half...

The Bills offense got the ball back FOUR TIMES down 17-20/tied 20-20.

Punt

Punt

FG (got the ball at the 15 and gained zero yards)

Punt

The defense gave us every chance to win. Houston tried to give the game away. 

I have no words for this offense 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1