10/6/2024 - Bills at Texans post game thread.

BuffaloBill

I think the biggest issue in the Bills loss today was a shortage of mental toughness in the first half.  Yeah, there mistakes in the second half too, but in the first half, after the first Bills drive, they looked entirely hapless.  Josh couldn't throw on target.  When he did get the ball to the receivers, they couldn't hold on.  The defense had numerous breakdowns.  More often than not, it appeared to be a breakdown of discipline.  Stroud made some great plays to be sure, but Buffalo was off their game.  

I think there are some coaching issues.  One think I've noticed is that If Buffalo runs the ball successfully on first down, they will almost always run the ball on the next play.  Against the Texans at least, they were almost always unsuccessful running the ball the second time.  I think the Texans knew what was coming and defended against it.  

Late in the game, when Buffalo had the ball deep in their own end, I thought Buffalo should have tried to get a first down using higher percentage plays, short passes perhaps.  The odds of Buffalo scoring in that situation were slim.  If they had made a first down, it would have been far more difficult for the Texans to move the Ball into long flied goal range.  Just my thoughts.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, finn said:

That's probably was thinking in the first Jets game when Allen's 60-yard bomb hit him in his hands. Not quite perfect. 

Hollins is what he is: a journeyman receiver who should be confined to special teams, blocking, and the occasional emergency fill in. Yet he's the Bills starting receiver, which says it all.

You were dealt a poor hand, Beane, but you're also playing it poorly. 

But Beane isn't calling the plays, so even if was dealt a bad hand, he's not the one making the game time decisions. 

The Commanders & Sam Howell got more out of Curtis Samuel than the Bills & Allen have. Top teams with top QBs find a way to make things work, at least to a degree. The Bills have not been able to do that. The players we've drafted on offense have been average as best. So we're losing in FA, we're losing in the draft, and we're losing on the field. 

There's a reason that despite their records, people still kept believing the Bengals & Ravens were GOOD teams. The Bills don't look like them at all, as our only star player is supposedly Allen, and he's looked just as bad in our losses as everyone else. 

47 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

They still have to play Pittsburgh twice. Mike Tomlin has Zac Taylor's offense all figured out. They have to play the Ravens again in Baltimore and then will lose at least one of their two against the Browns (they do every year). If they split with the Steelers (which they will) that make 7 probable losses. And they'll lose to one of the Eagles or the Cowboys. That loss to the Pats in week 1 was brutal.

They will beat Pittsburgh twice. They will beat the Giants, Titans, Browns twice, Raiders and Broncos.  They will have toss ups with the Cowboys, Eagles.   They can get to ten wins.   If that happens the Bills have no chance against them in the playoffs.

Just now, paulmm3 said:

How many first downs were 0-2 yard runs to James Cook? Like 2/3 of the time?

When your QB is 9 for 30 the 2 yard runs on first down are not the problem.  Our running game was the only thing that worked even marginally well.  Even with a few boring 1st downs.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Real McClappy said:

How do you know that if we ran on 1st down and rip 5-7yds that Houston would even call a timeout? They might have been just fine at that stage going to OT. The final series by the coaching staff was not called correct at all. 

What did you see in the second half that is giving you confidence we were ripping off a 5-7 yard run when Houston was trying to go out and stuff three runs to win the game in an obvious running situation?  

everyone complaining about stuffed first down runs claiming we would’ve ripped off a decent run to close out regulation are giving me a needed chuckle 😂

I don’t think it was ‘correct’ by any means but it wasn’t torch and pitchforks bad is what I’m saying. And obviously they’re not gonna come out in a press conference and be like ‘yea our punter sucks so we had to do something that looks stupid’ lol

lets say we gained 3 yards total on 3 straight runs which I think is more than fair,  I think 70-80% of the time Houston is starting in fg range after the punt 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Just now, Maine-iac said:

When your QB is 9 for 30 the 2 yard runs on first down are not the problem.  Our running game was the only thing that worked even marginally well.  Even with a few boring 1st downs.

Part of the reason the passing game was bad was the bad first down running game forced us into lots of obvious long passing downs. More a criticism of offensive playcalling than James Cook who did have some good runs.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BigAl2526 said:

I think there are some coaching issues.  One think I've noticed is that If Buffalo runs the ball successfully on first down, they will almost always run the ball on the next play.  Against the Texans at least, they were almost always unsuccessful running the ball the second time.  I think the Texans knew what was coming and defended against it.  

Late in the game, when Buffalo had the ball deep in their own end, I thought Buffalo should have tried to get a first down using higher percentage plays, short passes perhaps.  

But this reminds me of the old days- the play calling looks bad because the coaching had to revise their plan after such poor execution.

When your QB can't hit anyone on target & is absolutely floundering out there, you reign it in & change the way you're calling the game. They'd run on 1st & 2nd down because they stopped believing they could throw the ball. 

That's what happens when you have 9 whole completions all game. There will be multiple receivers who have more receptions this week. Then when they wanted to pick up that 1st down, Allen proved again he couldn't find the target. 

People look at things in a vacuum in hindsight. "They should've ran 3 times to kill Houston's timeouts!" Ok, but then the Texans don't call plays the same way they did anyway, and could've still got in FG range. We've seen the Bills go super conservative & play not to lose, then get screwed over anyway. Then everyone is crying about the lack of aggressive play calling & blaming McDermott for the loss anyway.

22 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

No.  He's losing the fan base.  Not the locker room.  Stop projecting.  He took a gamble, believing they needed a first down.  Once the first down pass was incomplete, they were locked in.  In hindsight he admits they should have run the ball on first down and go from there.  I think we all thought the same.  

NFL head coaches, should get it right with foresight, not hind sight.  

4 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

But it is. Because they’re become predictable. This is a JV offense. 

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

When your QB can't hit anyone on target & is absolutely floundering out there, you reign it in & change the way you're calling the game. They'd run on 1st & 2nd down because they stopped believing they could throw the ball. 

This is stupid. That is all. 

Welp - Josh sucked. Big time. He can't hit the long ball if his life depends on it. Starting to become an issue. We are all clamoring for new stud WR's. Can Josh hit them? the 1st half Josh was brutal. Missed 4 throws that should have been receptions/TD to Coleman. He makes stupid decisions game after game. Our boys were open. He missed them. Unreal. And again, you wonder why he is called overrated?!? Josh is good, but he's showing his true colors. Above average with a tendancy to play hero sugar rush ball. No accuracy past 20 yards.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

Honestly losing at the buzzer on the road against a playoff team with 6 starters out and your quarterback completing 30% of his passes should be encouraging but somehow its not at all

You're right.

That was a "Good" loss !