10/6/2024 - Bills at Texans post game thread.

BuffaloBill

I’m not that upset about this one, because the Bills really had no business being in this one at the end. The fact that it was tied was a minor miracle and didn’t reflect the play on the field.

I’m not that upset about this one, because the Bills really had no business being in this one at the end. The fact that it was tied was a minor miracle and didn’t reflect the play on the field.

1 minute ago, Ray Finkel said:

We needed one first down to get to OT.  Maybe try shorter passes to get the first instead of throw two bombs to guys that can’t get open.  

This. Running with all of their timeouts still would have given Houston a very good shot at a fg. We’d have punted with 16-18 seconds left with 3 runs assuming no 1st down. High percentage passes to get a 1st down and guarantee OT was the correct move.

What is indefensible is the decision to play the 2 safeties at the 10 yard line with 7 seconds left when they were clearly going to try for a quick pass to get in better fg range. That soft, prevent defense without knowing what the offense actually needed and wanted to accomplish was 13 seconds all over again.

Everyone saying the bills should have played for Ot.  They did.  They needed to get a first down and throwing should have been the best way to achieve that. Too bad that part of their offense sucks right now.  Three passes took off just as much time as three runs with timeouts.  The Bills just did not call or execute good routes.

Just now, Stretch said:

Everyone saying the bills should have played for Ot.  They did.  They needed to get a first down and throwing should have been the best way to achieve that. Too bad that part of their offense sucks right now.  Three passes took off just as much time as three runs with timeouts.  The Bills just did not call or execute good routes.

my issue is they needed to just run their normal offense. Even go heavy set. Pretend it’s the 1st quarter. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Remember that Thanksgiving game in Detroit? Similar situation. In that case, Josh threw a laser to Diggs to set up a game-winning FG. Now, he has no one to throw that to. That's on Beane. Everytime I think that I am over this one, I just keep coming back to the fact that the GM punted on a season for cap reasons.  Why does the cap not apply to the Cowboys and Eagles but it does to the Bills. Is Terry not willing to write those checks anymore.

Maybe he’s not. Stadium construction overruns ? They clearly didn’t do enough in the offseason to be a contender. 

2 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Why we lost:

Hollins and those alligator arms. Two huge misses by him. He shouldn’t even be suited up let alone starting.

Douglass with two huge no-effort plays on the TDs. Awful.

McD not challenging that Kincaid reception.

Brady not eating up clock on the last drive.

This game was so winnable.

I need a Bills detox.

That Kincaid grab wouldn’t have been ruled a catch. His opposite foot and hand were out of bounds, even if that elbow touched green — and I’m not convinced it did. 

But from a tactical standpoint, it should have been challenged there. We didn’t need those timeouts, and it was worth the try in the moment. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Why we lost:

Hollins and those alligator arms. Two huge misses by him. He shouldn’t even be suited up let alone starting.

Douglass with two huge no-effort plays on the TDs. Awful.

McD not challenging that Kincaid reception.

Brady not eating up clock on the last drive.

This game was so winnable.

I need a Bills detox.

Man, you didn't hit up the playcalling which was too focused on deep throws. 

It's also criminal how we are not finding ways to get Cook the ball in space. 

51 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Kincaid could help himself if he could hold on to the ball more regularly than he does. So many receivers had drops today. With some, Josh may have been partially responsible. With others, it was all on them.

the balls were not well thrown - it would be nice if Josh could hit the numbers once a game 

3 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

Samuel, MVS, Hollis and Knox make what $50 M and contribute nothing to the offense. Essentially nothing. That’s on Beane and Brady. They only function if Cook, Shakir and Kincaid are cooking. If not they’re just bodies running around taking up space.

Yep - our GM sucks bad!

Just now, LifeLongBillsFan said:

the balls were not well thrown - it would be nice if Josh could hit the numbers once a game 

The balls were thrown well enough. A QB may misjudge a throw slightly - the receivers job is to catch them if they come near them. We see enough of that from other teams.

2 minutes ago, Stretch said:

How would you feel if the same 3 and out happened but we ran it 3x and burned all their timeouts, AND got maybe 4-5 yards for more room to punt? Now they’re at the 50 with the ball with same time left but no timeouts. They’re forced to make a longer kick instead of the 5 yard pass they did

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I agree

It is just one game. 

Horrible game MGMT at the end. 

Mack hollins needs to only play special teams. 

I'm fine with Mack out there as a blocker and possession receiver, but why are they throwing him the ball down the field? Those targets should go to Coleman or MVS.

• Agree 1

Gotta say… we’ve seen so much over the years.  I mean how many teams win that when give the ball up with 8seconds left, 1 quick out pass, kicker nails a 59yarder to win the game.  

For those that feel this team’s fortunes have changed… I offer we still lose in heartbreaking, unbelievable fashion far more than we pull a game out.   

11 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

You might have an argument if we were't 9 for 30 passing.  You do whatever gets a couple yards and burns the time off the clock.  2 seconds was the difference.  Go ahead and throw it but make it short and complete and burn as much time as you can.  Running routes into deep coverage when your line is suspect at best and stopping the clock after 3 maybe 4 seconds is (as anyone could see) a sure way to give them the ball back with time to score.

2 seconds was only the difference because Martin hit an unrealistically good punt in that situation for how his career has been tracking…there’s no way anyone was expecting that lol 

heck it might’ve made no difference…he might’ve hit from 64.  The only way you ensure there isn’t a high probability you lose in regulation is picking up the first 

it really wasn’t that outrageous of a decision now that the adrenaline has worn off. It wasn’t good by any means but I don’t think it was egregiously bad

your premise seems to be predicated on the idea that the Texans were playing some kind of prevent defense and it didn’t look that way at all to me.  They knew if they stuffed three runs they were probably going to win and even if the bills hit a deep shot they likely weren’t going to have much of a shot at a fg 

I’m thinking the blowback would be even worse if we ran three times, punted, and the Texans hit a fg to win it 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Defense seems coached well.  Adjustments were made.  Young guys made some plays (Carter) and a mistake here or there (Bishop) but overall battled.  Offense, despite the whining here, seems like our guys we count on aren't showing up.  There's a list of starters on offense who are not playing well so I'd have a hard time saying it's all on Brady.  Allen is missing people, Kincaid has a handful of drops (non catches) the last couple of weeks, and the O line is pretty shaky at times.  I get it if we aren't throwing bombs all game long but we need to be able to hit 6 or 7 yard passes to someone

ps I'm not harping on the WR's because I feel like we are counting on the TE's and RB's as pass catchers and Coleman and Hollins are more or less as expected.  That said MVS and Samuels are straight garbage so far.  I mean what's Claypool up to already?  I'm kidding .......... or am I?

• Like (+1) 1