Concerned that Joe Brady may have crashed back to reality.

Spiderweb

We would need an elite level offensive coach to make it work with this group. What are we supposed to lean on? Our run blocking is just okay so we can't be a run it down your throat team. We don't have pass catchers that separate quickly so we can't be a quick passing offense. We don't have vertical receivers so we can't be a big play offense. Of all of those he tried the run it down your throat offense today and it was just too inconsistent and left our offense in poor down and distance situations.

So I'm not happy with Brady but I can't really blame him either. All of the offensive coaches that would make this group look better than it is are either head coaches or about to be head coaches. The correct solution if we're going to have a defensive head coach is to ask that head coach to make his side of the ball work with less resources invested, and start pouring as many resources as possible into the side of the ball that will always have less than stellar coaching. That's the one strategy that this regime for whatever reason has been unwilling to try.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Livinginthepast said:

Scary thought , but Joe Brady might be WORSE than even Vanilla Dorsey. He might be Sugar free Vanilla Dorsey! I didnt think that anyone could be worse than Dorsey and his conservative offense but Brady literally looks clueless out there. Perhaps he needs to play some Madden 25 and get some ideas. It literally looks that bad.

Ya they are super different but both bad IMO

Dorsey was a wild man who produced a lot of chunk plays , but struggled with scoring when inside the 40 and with turnovers

Brady is super conservative and predictable, but doesn't "lose" the game with turnovers and seems to call a game like he bets on the under by trying to run the game dry 

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We would need an elite level offensive coach to make it work with this group. What are we supposed to lean on? Our run blocking is just okay so we can't be a run it down your throat team. We don't have pass catchers that separate quickly so we can't be a quick passing offense. We don't have vertical receivers so we can't be a big play offense. Of all of those he tried the run it down your throat offense today and it was just too inconsistent and left our offense in poor down and distance situations.

So I'm not happy with Brady but I can't really blame him either. All of the offensive coaches that would make this group look better than it is are either head coaches or about to be head coaches. The correct solution if we're going to have a defensive head coach is to ask that head coach to make his side of the ball work with less resources invested, and start pouring as many resources as possible into the side of the ball that will always have less than stellar coaching. That's the one strategy that this regime for whatever reason has been unwilling to try.

I don't buy it. Kincaid needs to be used more. Samuel needs to be used more. The lack of creativity is sickening. Run on first down every time. 2nd and short? Run it down the gut instead of going for it. It's oathetic.

Edited by Bferra13

3 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Like does Joe Brady have James cook in fantasy or something? Mix in a play action pass on 1st down for the love of god

The problem is that James Cook is very clearly our best weapon on offense. So when all else fails, Brady's solution is to lean on our best player. I can't really blame him for that. I think as a fanbase we're looking for solutions that don't exist with the current personnel.

I was disappointed in the playcalling today.

We passed on 1st down a few times in the 1st quarter - but after that, it was all north/south kinds of runs.  It was very predictable, and put us in 2nd & 3rd and long all day.  

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The problem is that James Cook is very clearly our best weapon on offense. So when all else fails, Brady's solution is to lean on our best player. I can't really blame him for that. I think as a fanbase we're looking for solutions that don't exist with the current personnel.

I definitely agree with that. The issue in my opinion though is he is "running" to try to set up the pass too often.

I think he needs to switch that to "pass" to set up the run, cause teams are just gonna keep stacking the box on 1st downs. I know easier said than done as the personnel at WR is not good, but he has to change things up IMO

Edited by BillsFan130

He’s a dunk dink, sideline to sideline college OC.  We knew what we were getting, we knew his philosophy doesn’t support a qb like Josh but a statue like Dalton. 

promoting from within and never doing due diligence on hire. 

the process is broken and Diggs wasn’t the cancer of the locker room. It’s our coaches. 

Just now, Bferra13 said:

Kincaid needs to be used more. Samuel needs to be used more.

I loved Kincaid even before we drafted him but what has he shown that makes you think he should be used more? He isn't separating against man coverage and he had two drops today, to add to the two he had last week. He's a good player, not a focal point. Which unfortunately is the best you can say about any of our pass catchers.

Samuel? He's been outright terrible. I think it's a total myth that usage is the issue with him. My take is that he just hasn't been any good. Can't separate at all, slow to react on broken plays, looks slower with the ball in his hands than advertised. He looks like Deonte Harty out there. I want him LESS involved until he proves he deserves a role.

4 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

The lack of creativity is sickening. Run on first down every time. 2nd and short? Run it down the gut instead of going for it. It's oathetic.

This part I don't really disagree with, but like I said above handing the ball off to Cook was our best play today. Allen was 9 of 30 passing the ball. So asking for us to pass the ball more isn't really a solution, it's just doing something different for the sake of doing something different.

I wish Brady was an elite offensive coach but we aren't just going to magically find one of those off the street. Either we add the talent to make it work, or the coaching change needs to come from further up the chain.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Can we at least try passing on early downs?

I honestly can’t handle the predictable early runs.  And it’s going to get Allen hurt, given he faces constant 2nd and longs with no quick separators. 

• Like (+1) 2

We're likely stuck with what we have at this point unless Beane goes and gets Amare Cooper. His contract seems like it would be the easiest to manage.

And Brady is probably here for the long haul too. It's not as though we have some young up and comer on this staff waiting to replace him.

I don't think McD should survive firing another OC either. 

We have talent issues and salary cap issues. This is the mess that McD and Beane built and this kind of mismanagement gets people fired when things go poorly.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I honestly can’t handle the predictable early runs.  And it’s going to get Allen hurt, given he faces constant 2nd and longs with no quick separators. 

This is where I'm at. Play action, easy button passes to get it to more 2nd and mediums/shorts. 

These 1st down runs aren't going to work as teams are just going to continue to stack the box until Brady shows he is willing to throw more on 1st

Many hated Daboll, many hated Dorsey, some are going to start hating on Brady....I'm detecting a trend.

I think its a problem when the coaches are always at fault and not the players.

Two weeks in a row where the other team almost knew exactly what we were doing. He is predictable, and all the defense has to do is blitz and take away the middle of the field.

Where is the 12 base formation we were going to use?  We were going to go big at WR, get both TE's involved. Also we can't zone  block and do what we are doing, we need power blocking on the OL and a more powerful back trucking people if this is how we are going to play.

Its like they are trying to mix philosophies. 

Just now, bouds said:

Many hated Daboll, many hated Dorsey, some are going to start hating on Brady....I'm detecting a trend.

It's definitely both. The receivers are not good at all, but Brady also calls a predictable and vanilla game

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, bouds said:

How many times has Allen left the field with a lead, only to have the defense aka McDermott blow it?

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm fine trying anything different considering how putrid the offense has been the last two weeks. I'm just not expecting any miracles. The personnel we have dictates that we don't have an offensive identity.

26 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

How many times has Allen left the field with a lead, only to have the defense aka McDermott blow it?

Enough times. How many times has the D played well enough to win since Allen became QB1 and the O ***** the bed?  All the time in 2018, many times in 2019, and once so far this season. The O kind of ***** the bed against the Chiefs last playoffs, you couldn’t count on that D to get a stop and the O had critical drops late. Sometimes the players have to make plays, it’s not always the coaches fault. 

Edited by bouds
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

How about throwing to Samuel in the slot instead of in the backfield.  

• Thank you (+1) 1