Concerned that Joe Brady may have crashed back to reality.

Spiderweb

Do some of you guys even watch the game critically or do you just look at the results and say “Oh Brady sucks now”

Holy sht. Ok let’s start with the fact that the trick play was an abomination and cost us a chance to get back in the game. Brady flat out said he blew it, and also said the game plan was sound but his play calling sucked. That’s accountability.

Now, why did our offense suck? It’s simple, our offensive line had a crap night. Josh was under pressure 50% of his drop backs and we had limited success running against one of the better run D’s. Couple that with our defense being a sieve and we were in a 2 score deficit 90% of the game, the game script goes out the window.

So how did Brady adjust? In the second half we saw much more 12 personell, 6-7 man protections. And guess what, the Ravens STILL GOT PRESSURE rushing 5 guys. If you have 7 man protection, Josh and Cook on the field, then you only have 2 WR and maybe a RB or TE in a route being covered by 6 guys. How do you win a game when they can rush 5 and get pressure when you are keeping 6-7 guys in to block?

You can’t.

I’m not absolving Brady, and he needs to bounce back with a sound game plan this week, but any game plan will go to hell when your O-line is as bad as ours was Sunday night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

So I guess we don't have to worry about Brady getting hired somewhere as a HC?

It was one game. Coaching sucked all around.  Everyone had a bad night. Every team in the NFL has a clunker game. Too early to say about Brady. All you can do is wait and see what happens over the course of the season.  Or you can just over react one way or the other every week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

It was a dumb call regardless if it succeeded or not. Just like Pete Carroll throwing it at the 1 w/ Marshawn

That is the Mount Olympus of stupid calls!!!!!

But, BB having a scrub DB no one ever heard of ready to jump it? 
BRILLIANT

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

So I guess we don't have to worry about Brady getting hired somewhere as a HC?

It was one game. Coaching sucked all around.  Everyone had a bad night. Every team in the NFL has a clunker game. Too early to say about Brady. All you can do is wait and see what happens over the course of the season.  Or you can just over react one way or the other every week.

Until next week if the beat Houston.

I agree to a certain extent. I'm definitely not sold on Brady yet.

Out of 4 games this year I think he was excellent against the Jags but that's it.

ARZ I didn't like his game plan as I feel like Josh bailed him out.

Miami was hard to judge as the defence won that game.

Jags excellent, and Baltimore horrible.

So out of 4 games, I feel like he called 1 really good game, 1 horrible game, 1 game that was hard to judge, and 1 neutral game where his QB played special 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Do some of you guys even watch the game critically or do you just look at the results and say “Oh Brady sucks now”

Holy sht. Ok let’s start with the fact that the trick play was an abomination and cost us a chance to get back in the game. Brady flat out said he blew it, and also said the game plan was sound but his play calling sucked. That’s accountability.

Now, why did our offense suck? It’s simple, our offensive line had a crap night. Josh was under pressure 50% of his drop backs and we had limited success running against one of the better run D’s. Couple that with our defense being a sieve and we were in a 2 score deficit 90% of the game, the game script goes out the window.

So how did Brady adjust? In the second half we saw much more 12 personell, 6-7 man protections. And guess what, the Ravens STILL GOT PRESSURE rushing 5 guys. If you have 7 man protection, Josh and Cook on the field, then you only have 2 WR and maybe a RB or TE in a route being covered by 6 guys. How do you win a game when they can rush 5 and get pressure when you are keeping 6-7 guys in to block?

You can’t.

I’m not absolving Brady, and he needs to bounce back with a sound game plan this week, but any game plan will go to hell when your O-line is as bad as ours was Sunday night.

Alot of what you wrote is true. But remember,  just because you show "accountability" doesn't mean you're not going to make more mistakes down the road. We've witnessed this with Sean.  Josh deserves to be surrounded by better coaches. How that happens I frankly don't care anymore.  Going 8% heavy box against Henry was pure stupidity.  I don't care if we were down several players.  That trick play call (design) was reprehensible. Josh still deserves a better OL. He deserves the same kind of weapons Tua & Burrow have enjoyed. In 2018, 2019 and 2024 Josh didn't even have a WR1.  When will this organization take their chips and go all-in for Josh?

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Yes, it was one game, but Joe had absolutely no clue how to adjust to what the Ravens were doing. This is far more than receivers not getting separation, but more about his failure to adjust to the Ravens pressure packages and leaving Allen to run for his life. Unless we can regain an intermediate passing game, we are in big trouble. Just a couple years ago, how many first downs did we get on 3rd and 8 to 15 (and occasionally more). Blame the receivers, yes, but don't forget being clueless pass pro wise against the Ravens. Runner up, Babich in not adjusting defense to deal with Ravens heavy packages.

His biggest indictment was the the trick play which his admitted was bad process and bad execution.  

If anything, before that the offense was starting to gel a bit.  The running game actually performed well against a good Ravens interior and Josh started completing a few passes downfield.  

With that said, when the Bills can’t run the ball passing is going to be challenge when facing strong secondaries given the WR’s

14 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Yes, it was one game, but Joe had absolutely no clue how to adjust to what the Ravens were doing. This is far more than receivers not getting separation, but more about his failure to adjust to the Ravens pressure packages and leaving Allen to run for his life. Unless we can regain an intermediate passing game, we are in big trouble. Just a couple years ago, how many first downs did we get on 3rd and 8 to 15 (and occasionally more). Blame the receivers, yes, but don't forget being clueless pass pro wise against the Ravens. Runner up, Babich in not adjusting defense to deal with Ravens heavy packages.

Really??? After one game?

Overreaction, maybe???

14 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

It was one game and it took you a week to come up with this masterpiece. Perhaps accusing Brady of having an issue adapting is not a "protection issue" rather a "projection issue"?

Yes the Ravens game was terrible. It was just one of those nights. From coaching to players. And still until an idiotic trick play call...it looked like we were about to take the game over. Let's see how the coaches and players adjusted over the week. 

16 hours ago, Steptide said:

He did adjust in the 2nd half, and it was working until that terrible trick play call, which if it had worked, we'd probably be calling him a genius right now (assuming the bills won) 

Did he adjust though? Takeaway a miraculous 3rd an 5 play from Allen running for his life and heaving a ball to Shakir while falling out of bounds and do the Bills even score in the second half? From what I recall Allen was running for his life on nearly every pass play. Seriously reminded me of rookie year Josh Allen. It had been a long time since seeing him have to run so much behind the line.

The next series when we had the disastrous play call the Bills had picked up two first downs and moved the ball to the Baltimore 44 yard line. No guarantee they get down into the redzone and really make something happen. 

our OC and DC got taken out behind the woodshed.

baltimore changed up what they do on O to trap our gung ho up the pitch rush on the dline, their d simulated pressure and took the middle of the field away, and what stood out the most was the eye candy and misdirection.  they had so much misdirection on o it looked like an army offense, and on d it was all crazy formations and changing who drops where.

they bet that our coaches wouldn't know what they were seeing, and they were 100% right.

kind reminds me of the rams vs pats super bowl.  the rams were like 1 or 0 of 13 on 3rd down.  the pats did not have the roster talent to match up to the rams, and had huge struggles on O because the front of the rams was near all time great (darnold and suh just obliterating everyone).  but billy b knew young HC of the rams never saw a bear from D, and he ran it to perfection daring the rams to change up what they do to find easy success but the rams just couldn't.

the coordinators better learn some life lessons quickly, because an OC with like 15 games experience and a dc with 4 games experience isn't a great look.

as much as i whine about mcd, it's kinda shocking the team with the 2nd most wins since 2020 can't spring for a solid vet (not dust bin frazer) coordinator.  that might be our biggest coaching hole.  let's hope these guys are rapid up and comers.

18 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yes, but it didn’t even remotely work.  It was a terribly called play.  Talk about Captain Obvious the ball was going to back to Josh.  We were embarrassed in that moment.

BTW- I’m not one to crap in the cornflakes of the coaches, but that was horrible.  If we Called a straight game at that point, we could’ve been back in it.

It's pretty much the nature of trick plays. If they work you're a genius and if they don't you're an idiot. They only work sometimes.

More, as with any other play, it ain't just about play design. It's also about player execution. 

Something very weird happened there, that's immensely clear. But what? Samuel and Josh very obviously didn't work things the way they'd been called. Josh is running right, Samuel throws the ball behind Josh, who has to stop and turn around. Dunno what was supposed to happen there but I know that things didn't go the way they'd practiced it.

Kincaid is lined up standing pretty close to in front of Van Noy, the only one with a shot at blocking him, but instead he runs right and sets up to block the right side of the pocket. He wouldn't have done that if Allen had actually been tasked with running left.

My guess is Allen was supposed to run right back into the pocket and set up there, and that they thought this might blunt the pocket rush. 

But whatever, assuming this was all a terribly called play rather than a terribly executed play or maybe a bit of both, is overreaching. Might've been doomed from the get-go. Or it might have worked if they'd done it right. 

Who 100% knows? Not us, or anyone really. I don't like the call but the execution sure looked bad as well.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1