Did Beane Fail Josh and the fan base?

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Not going after you personally Weck but this argument keeps being made.

How does anyone trust McBeane anymore in the talent acquisition department.

Having an abundance of cap room and draft picks could get us another Tremain Edmunds, Zay Jones, Gabe Davis, Cody Ford, Boogie Basham Moss, Elam ( don’t even know his first name😒)

I don't blame you for being skeptical!  Here's a couple reasons to believe:

-we've had a Super Bowl roster the past few years but the stars didn't align (bad coaching 13 seconds, injuries, etc.)

-we need 4 things to win a Super Bowl next year:  (1) avoid cluster injuries like last year and this year, (2) a Pass Rusher, (3) a #1 WR, (4) a Kicker.

Injuries are luck.  Proven Edge can probably be traded for or signed in FA.  We should have cap space and/or draft capital to do either.  WR can be found in the draft esp. if we're picking top 20.  Could also find as a FA.  FG can only go up, even if signing a guy off the street.  Just have to eat Bass contract which we'll be able to do.

I'm sure we'll need to fill some gaps (RB, Safety, maybe backup LT or DT) but those are run of the milll roster moves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I’m not going to disagree with this but I will point out that Diggs was pretty much the only player on the entire team (led by JA) who didn’t quit against the Bengals in the playoffs. 

https://youtu.be/LD5mudHFCqQ?si=LAH0K1y60oWwMaPt

He was also the only player to quit/dog on multiple routes in the KC game last year. (With video proof in that breakdown)

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cubanmist said:

Beane did not draft Allen, so I’ll never give him credit for that. Beane did however draft crappy receivers thereafter. Diggs and Sanders were the only good receivers traded for and signed as a FA respectively.

All I’m saying is, that Beane needs to do a way better job at WR while Allen is still young and in his prime. It can’t always be about defense.

What?

Beane was hired to be the Bills GM on 5/9/2017. Josh was drafted on 4/26/2018 (by Beane). 

I agree with the rest of your post, but its wildly inaccurate to say Beane did not draft Allen. 

Samuel's the highest paid WR on the team, how about putting him to use. 

What happened to Knox, why can't he play? 

Samuel has 9 targets so far, MVS 6, Knox 5.   

What happened to the genius "everyone eats" strategy of spreading the ball around and not needing, or wanting, a #1 WR.  Seemed all the rage a week ago.  

For a team that's averaged a mere 25 passes/game and had stated that it's offensive basis is running the ball and short passing, why is this a problem.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m not sure it’s just Beane, more like Beane/McD. The WR position has been a mess for some time now. Two years ago they rolled out Davis and McKenzie as their #2 and slot guys. Fine with that, they both deserved an opportunity but there was no backup plan for either of it failed. Actually there was a young rookie on the roster (Shakir) who showed some flashes when given the opportunity. He only really got opportunities when McKenzie got injured, not because of poor play. Thats coaching. Then they double downed on Davis and  brought in Sherfield and Harty, Shakir took a backseat to those clowns as well. Then there is this year which is looking like another blown off-season at the WR position. Giving Hollins reps with the 1s and 2s all summer was destined to be a mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NoName said:

Brandon Beane didn't fail us???  We will be rolling out Keon Coleman, Mack Hollins and MVS this week.  Tell me with a straight face that Josh doesn't deserve better. 

Is it Brandon Beane's fault that Diggs has the mental maturity of my 9 year old? Is it Beane's fault that Shakir is unfortunately hurt?

• Haha (+1) 1

in the biggest games coaching has hurt us as much or in some cases more than the roster.

beane did get us josh, so that counts for something.

the real failing of beane is his contracts and extensions, and i suspect mcd has a lot to do with it.

he's drafted well, his weakness in drafting has been not getting players for the positions we are thinner at, but that is largely a result of being tied up with bad contracts.

before we signed jags (star, that DE from DC, settle, addison, a bunch of special teams only guys) to far too high contracts because mcd wants his guys who fit a scrappy plucky but not big or fast profile.

the real hurt comes from the von contract, the knox extension, the milano extension (great player, but the greatest ability is availability), paying spain and trading teller, signing non impact wrs to reasonably high contracts (samuel and hollins and mvs so far, he got a bit lucky w beaz and brown, and has gone to that well too many times) and signing DQ and that other DT who just got hurt to more than they are worth.

what is teh cap we have in von, milano, diggs, knox, mvs, samuel, bass, poy, and hyde?  three of those guys are off the team, one is hurt and not playing, one is suspended and injured otherwise, one is usually injured and just not good, two are non impact, and one just fell apart after his big contract.  that's like a third of our cap on players who on average can be replaced with street free agents (right now, w injures or being off the team).  if we never had those we'd simply have had more burn for williams who'd have improved, and be able to sign a heap of talent who could contribute.

Josh allen on the chargers, the raiders, pittz, and possibly the jets and miami are better teams today than the bills.  

so i wouldn't say beane has totally failed, but between his mistakes and mcd in the playoffs we have squandered some of josh allen's great years.

Diggs is a true competitor and very skilled receiver. However, it seems to me that his personality is such, that if things don't go his way he can become a sulking pain in the ass. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Teams weren’t doubling Knox on a consistent basis. The two players opposing DCs worried about were Josh and Diggs. Everyone else was single cover able the last couple years. Yes, I know Davis had a crazy game against KC…. Outlier 

A true #1 elite highly paid WR is supposed to get open, right?  That and Diggs wasn’t double teamed nearly as much as folk seem to think, Davis’s career peaked during that KC game,

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Samuel's the highest paid WR on the team, how about putting him to use. 

What happened to Knox, why can't he play? 

Samuel has 9 targets so far, MVS 6, Knox 5.   

What happened to the genius "everyone eats" strategy of spreading the ball around and not needing, or wanting, a #1 WR.  Seemed all the rage a week ago.  

For a team that's averaged a mere 25 passes/game and had stated that it's offensive basis is running the ball and short passing, why is this a problem.

A lot of people seem to forget (because it's kind of been under the radar), but Curtis Samuel has been dealing with a turf toe injury since camp. It's been about 4-5 weeks since the injury. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they were bringing him along slowly due to that. Maybe we'll see him a bit more this week with Shakir out.

As to Knox, he's just fallen down the target list a bit. When everyone is healthy, he's basically the 5th or 6th target (Shakir, Kincaid, Coleman, Samuel, Cook).

Either way, it is kind of hard to get a full picture yet since all 4 games have basically been blowouts (3 in our favor and 1 against). Yes, the team looked bad against the Ravens, but it' only week 4. Let's see how they respond before jumping off the bridge after one game.

4 games thus far...and the everyone eats thing worked 3 out of 4 weeks. Let's see where it goes.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

USATSI_22347046-e1705938576126.jpg

Your whataboutism game is cute. 

Ask yourself .. was this before or after the Cincinnati game?  

After you answer yourself, ask yourself, is a picture of this drop really relevant?

After you answer yourself again, ask yourself, could I probably do better?

Then tell yourself, yes … yes I could. 

Then … try. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mrags said:

I’m love how this thread has lasted 6 pages but the one questioning if McD was the problem with Diggs has been removed. 

Really, was that a mod deleting a post that didn't fit?  

7 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Kind of. Couldn't do it against the Ravens, not sure we can do it against more physical teams.

Eh, they done it extremely effective since Brady took over.

I don't put too much stock in 1 game. 

17 hours ago, <bills4life> said:

Let’s not have selective amnesia.  He has a body of work the past 7 years.  You know exactly what he was talking about. And after the season is over with the same results, you will still hold the same view you have now.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  

some people live on the “at least it’s not the drought” excuse to excuse failure with a franchise (actually, best in NFL) qb. 

1 hour ago, folz said:

A lot of people seem to forget (because it's kind of been under the radar), but Curtis Samuel has been dealing with a turf toe injury since camp. It's been about 4-5 weeks since the injury. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they were bringing him along slowly due to that. Maybe we'll see him a bit more this week with Shakir out.

As to Knox, he's just fallen down the target list a bit. When everyone is healthy, he's basically the 5th or 6th target (Shakir, Kincaid, Coleman, Samuel, Cook).

Either way, it is kind of hard to get a full picture yet since all 4 games have basically been blowouts (3 in our favor and 1 against). Yes, the team looked bad against the Ravens, but it' only week 4. Let's see how they respond before jumping off the bridge after one game.

4 games thus far...and the everyone eats thing worked 3 out of 4 weeks. Let's see where it goes.

I hear ya, but keep in mind that we're supposed to be "spreading the ball out" this season, aka no need for a bona fide #1.  That's the actual plan, not some mistake, and the point is that they have enough decent bodies to make it work.  Kincaid's underutilized too, and you didn't mention Hollins and MVS, both of whom were were told are quite capable WRs.  It's not as if we're "stretching the field," in fact, we're doing the opposite.  

As to the blowouts, we had three even worse blowouts last season at this time and we see what happened.  As more film comes out on the offense, we could be in trouble.