Did Beane Fail Josh and the fan base?

Returntoglory

20 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Despite the frustration of not winning a Lombardi (yet) I don't think we can say Beane failed.

wins.jpg

Since 2020, when a team finishes the season with a QB who has a QBR of 65 or better and he starts at least 10 games the full season record of these teams is 211- 73, which is 74.2%

Josh has finished with a 65+QBR every years since 2020. 

It is not exactly a stretch to say this roster has lacked high end talent. Nor is it a stretch to say we have underachieved in the postseason against our regular season winning %. Nor is it a stretch to say a lot of the offensive talent we added seems to be done so without consideration to style of play.  

I don't know the exact ownership Josh has over this record or how much we give to McD or Beane but you see the NFL averages when getting the type of QB play Josh has provided. I gave Beane a feather in the cap a long time ago for Allen. At some point we have to make more progress. These regular season championships just don't do it for me. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I have more of a beef with the front office based for how our offensive personnel was added. Seemingly done so while intoxicated and with no consideration to the role they might actually play.

We have Samuel and Shakir who are much more natural slots. We have Coleman, who can struggle off the line at times and has showed some real promise in a big slot role. We have Kincaid who we like underneath and again as more of a big slot. At what point did the front office ever consider that we might need a few guys who can beat press and not play in the slot? Coleman is doing his best but that was an area he clearly struggled in at FSU and MSU so to ask him to be the main press beater at the pro level is dumbfounding. 

It sounds cool to say you want to pound it out or two TE sets, but we haven't shown in two years that we can use Knox and Kincaid on the field at the same time the right way. We have locked up a ton of resources into the TE position which I like, but no concept of how to maximize that value. 

We want to be a power run team but we have no power backs. Cook is a great player, but not a physical player. We bring in Davis to try and play this role but he ends up looking like Zack Moss light.

So who is the power to our power offense? Our pass catching TE's and sub 200 pound RB? Who is helping us out of press? Whos is our deep threat? MVS...lord help me

My gripe as well.  It’s odd because Beane said he didn’t want to duplicate skill sets at WR which is what he did with this roster.  

There’s still time left in the season but the performance last week in the passing game has left me skeptical of this group.

• Agree 1

I think it is a bit early for this kind of a take.  We were extremely limited overall in free agency given our cap situation and we had needs at a number of positions in addition to WR.  I am not sure that Coleman was the best pick available to us at WR, but I had hoped that Beane would draft more than one WR in the draft.

One thing that I did not count on was that the anticipated top teams before the start of the season all seem to have their weaknesses.  Seems pretty wide open this year.

22 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Despite the frustration of not winning a Lombardi (yet) I don't think we can say Beane failed.

wins.jpg

With our roster, and a 1a or 1b qb on our roster. If you are not consistently finishing in the final four, then something is wrong somewhere along the way. Coaching, drafting, free agent signings, philosophy etc..  something isn’t working.  I could absolutely care less what your record is during the season. It’s the playoffs that matter period.  And if that isn’t the goal I don’t know what tell you. But let’s not get it twisted, somewhere along the way there is failure. Who to blame is the question. I just know McDermott is starting to run out of coordinators to fire or help retire. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes, by going 3-1 in the first 4 games and setting the Bills up with a great salary cap situation, two 2nd round picks, three 4th round picks, and two 5ths next year, Beane has set Josh and the Bills up for failure.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I would say Allen Succeeded. 

Succeeded in what?

top tier QB?

absolutely.

another Dan Marino is he doesn’t win the big one.

fantastic QB, but you need the SB on your resume to really be considered one of the absolute greats.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Yes, by going 3-1 in the first 4 games and setting the Bills up with a great salary cap situation, two 2nd round picks, three 4th round picks, and two 5ths next year, Beane has set Josh and the Bills up for failure.

We are playing the longest game of chess in NFL history. 

The goal is to win games not have certain stats....and to be more specific, win games in January and February.....anything can happen now and it is irrelevant if they cant get out of round 2.    He could break all the passing records throwing to dozens of "weapons", lose to the Chiefs it means nothing.

They are trying to build the best overall team they can to win the super bowl given all the constrains they have.  The internet statisticians will never get it.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I’m not going to disagree with this but I will point out that Diggs was pretty much the only player on the entire team (led by JA) who didn’t quit against the Bengals in the playoffs. 

why, because he made a point to fuss on the sidelines? he had 4 catches for 35 yards lol...devin singletary had more of an impact in the pass game than diggs vs Bengals

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

setting the Bills up with a great salary cap situation

This is completely false.  The Bills have among the leagues highest cap in the next three years already.   They have the 6th most commitments in 25 and 2 and second most in 27....so its better than last year but its not "great" by any measure.

20 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

why, because he made a point to fuss on the sidelines? he had 4 catches for 35 yards lol...devin singletary had more of an impact in the pass game than diggs vs Bengals

As I’m sure you know, it’s difficult for any WR to have an impact when he does t have a QB to throw the ball to him.

Which he did not have that day from the first play of the game. 

I will reiterate … it was time for Diggs to go. His artisans behavior became problematic. 

I am simply stating that he didn’t develop that attitude or become disgruntled out of thin air and there were others at fault - players and coaches.