Did Beane Fail Josh and the fan base?

23 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Why would anyone reasonably expect Samuel to be healthy?  Of his first 7 seasons in the NFL, he's played two full seasons.

It's hard to win the SB without top-end players.  We have one on our roster.    That's 100% on Beane.  

You kind of have it reversed in regards to Curtis Samuel. His rookie year he broke his ankle and missed 7 games. And his 2021 was a wash due to a groin injury that lingered. So, that's two seasons where he missed a lot of time. In his other 5+ seasons, he has played in 81 of 85 games. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Only one coach played off coverage defending against a TD when a FG tied the game with 13 seconds left in the game

Only one coach started Nathan Peterman

Only one coach allowed too many men on the field for a missed FG

I hear ya however I'm pretty sure Peterman started a game for the Bears- 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Your whataboutism game is cute. 

Ask yourself .. was this before or after the Cincinnati game?  

After you answer yourself, ask yourself, is a picture of this drop really relevant?

After you answer yourself again, ask yourself, could I probably do better?

Then tell yourself, yes … yes I could. 

Then … try. 

You wrote all this thinking you were being clever?

You responded to someone saying Diggs quit on us this year and brought up the Bengals game 2 years ago. 

I think you need to get an old man nap in then try again. Your posts in this thread are a bit concerning. 

Edited by BillsFan2313
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Diggs failed the team, fans, and JA in 2024. That's for sure

Came here and elevated into a super star, posted career numbers, and even lead the league in receiving yards one year. Something is wrong w/ this guy mentally. Most WRs would kill to be in a situation like this. Honestly, I think it has to do w/ jealousy of Josh Allen. Diggs can’t stand being 2nd fiddle to his QB

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, colin said:

in the biggest games coaching has hurt us as much or in some cases more than the roster.

beane did get us josh, so that counts for something.

the real failing of beane is his contracts and extensions, and i suspect mcd has a lot to do with it.

he's drafted well, his weakness in drafting has been not getting players for the positions we are thinner at, but that is largely a result of being tied up with bad contracts.

before we signed jags (star, that DE from DC, settle, addison, a bunch of special teams only guys) to far too high contracts because mcd wants his guys who fit a scrappy plucky but not big or fast profile.

the real hurt comes from the von contract, the knox extension, the milano extension (great player, but the greatest ability is availability), paying spain and trading teller, signing non impact wrs to reasonably high contracts (samuel and hollins and mvs so far, he got a bit lucky w beaz and brown, and has gone to that well too many times) and signing DQ and that other DT who just got hurt to more than they are worth.

what is teh cap we have in von, milano, diggs, knox, mvs, samuel, bass, poy, and hyde?  three of those guys are off the team, one is hurt and not playing, one is suspended and injured otherwise, one is usually injured and just not good, two are non impact, and one just fell apart after his big contract.  that's like a third of our cap on players who on average can be replaced with street free agents (right now, w injures or being off the team).  if we never had those we'd simply have had more burn for williams who'd have improved, and be able to sign a heap of talent who could contribute.

Josh allen on the chargers, the raiders, pittz, and possibly the jets and miami are better teams today than the bills.  

so i wouldn't say beane has totally failed, but between his mistakes and mcd in the playoffs we have squandered some of josh allen's great years.

I will always blame McD more than Beane. There is no way on planet earth that Beane's draft selections aren't influenced by McD.  The neglect of wr draft capital over the last 7 years speaks volumes as to the marginal support Josh has received compared to other teams.  Just because he's Superman doesn't mean you should focus more on defensive players. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

We all knew that the loss of Diggs was going to potentially be bad for Josh and the Bills, unless they could replace him via the draft or a trade.

The passing game for the Bills is not "passing" the eye test, IMHO. There is no "Goto" guy and none of the current guys on the roster have taken a step forward as you would have hoped.

Statistically, Josh is up on every passing stat this year compared to the last four except yardage, where his per game is 20% lower, roughly.

Should Beane been more aggressive in FA? Did Beane fail JA? The fans??

Difficult to blame Beane while looking at the overall body of work. He put enough talent on the field to win it all, but coaching has blown that. As for this season, it was a planned step back and financial reset. I believe that it was originally planned for next offseason, but injuries to White and Miller plus Diggs’ push to leave caused the Bills to move it up a season. McD and Beane have both been given extensions so I expect them both to be here for the rebuild. I think we’d have to see a big catastrophe and/or McD would have to lose the locker room for Pegula to move on from them. As for this season, there’s still time to make a trade for a player like Amari Cooper. fingers crossed 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Beane has done an excellent job in so many ways!  Addressing the WR position is something has had NOT done a good job at.  Handing out some questionable contracts did not give him the cap flexibility needed to address the WR position.  We entered the season depending on Shakur to be our number 1 our 2nd round rookie and Mack Hollins to be our starters.  Beane deserves the majority of blame for that. 

It’s like whack-a-mole. I want better WR’s too, but I want to find a middle ground between where we are and where the Dolphins are. Invest TOO MUCH at WR, and you get exposed in other areas where your resources did not go. When we improve at WR, and I believe it will be a serious priority before next season, people will complain that we let this guy or that guy go, or we have no depth at some other position. We can’t have it all. 

2 hours ago, BananaB said:

Only guy not to quit, that’s debatable. 

First guy to walk out on the team after a heart breaking playoff loss. Last person to show up following off-season. Only player who got his brother to stir the pot and cause a huge distraction all season long last year

Who quit on who?

I bet a dollar to a donut that the commentators tomorrow will frame this as Diggs revenge game like he’s got a score to settle with the Bills for doing him wrong. If they win, it will be “how sweet it is” for Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, folz said:

But, again, there are only so many balls to go around, especially with as little as we have needed to pass thus far. It will be interesting to see if Brady can take advantage of the fact that we have two good TEs eventually. There may be certain opponents that it would be effective against.

But that's the way that McD wanted it so that there wasn't anyone demanding to get the ball.  Now they've got it.  

It will be interesting to see what Brady does, how he did last season with the offense was highly overrated, and now that teams have the template to stop us courtesy of Harbaugh, again, it will be interesting.  

2 hours ago, folz said:

We are still in the learning curve of the season. Brady's offense is new. How defenses react to it is new (which will take adjustments along the way). Josh has 4 new receiving targets that he's still building rapport with. With all of the changes, there is no question that we should actually get better as the year goes on.

But again, he's also had the luxury of no video being made available, which is increasingly no longer the case.  

2 hours ago, folz said:

The big question right now is the whole "will defenses catch up to the offense and be able to nullify it." First of all, teams need the personnel to do so. Not every team would be able to do it even if there were some type of blueprint. Secondly, with what I have seen from Brady thus far, I think he can adjust and adapt. 

That is the big question, but the teams that don't have the personnel aren't the ones that will be around in January anyway, so it doesn't matter if they can't stop us, it's whether the ones that do can.  We'll see, but there's plenty of reason for concern.  I don't even come close to having any faith in Brady's adjusting, particularly with his boss breathing down his neck to have things that way that his ignorant viewpoint perceives how they should be.  

2 hours ago, folz said:

And this offense wasn't meant to stretch the field vertically. It is meant to stretch the defense horizontally (to create space for guys like Cook and Shakir to get into the open field). Take what the defense gives you. Run the ball. Move the chains. Though as I said, a few more shots down the field to keep the defense honest would help. 

Correct, but does that play to Josh's strengths, namely great arm strength and improv rushing?  No.  

2 hours ago, folz said:

I guess I just have confidence in Brady to get it done (despite making probably the worst single offensive play call in the history of the Bills last week).

Well, LOL, we didn't have to do much adjusting in weeks 1-3 facing teams none of which will even post a winning record.  Again, that's not what matters.  

But in the Arizona game Brady didn't adjust.  We were down 17-3 and trying to do what they said, namely run the ball, but then Josh took over doing just about everything.  Our RBs contributed just 36 rushing yards on 15 carries, or 2.4 yards-per-carry after that.  It wasn't adjusting, it was Josh having had enough but it's not any part of our plan.  

Houston's not a team that should be unbeatable, even with our injuries.  And if they want an "everyone eats" spread short passing game, you don't need blinding speed to accomplish that by the WRs.  IMO it's a flawed system given the personnel we have.  

Our RBs are averaging fewer than 4 yards-per-carry as a whole.  

50 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He's laughing at all of us. 

$5.6M in career earnings on a 7 year career for the worst QB in league history

Not disagreeing with anything at all- you are absolutely correct  biggest problem I have is  being way too literal - so I saw he played somewhere else is all- it's embarrassing 

22 hours ago, Savage said:

Like the previous seasons?

JA17 isn’t getting any younger, and sooner or later, unfortunately, he will end up having a serious injury.

Yes, like the previous seasons.

Although we haven't won the big one yet, we've been consistently winning at historic levels, and are looking like a strong team again this year even though we all knew it was going to be a rebuilding year.

Only 3 teams have won the Super Bowl in the last 5 years.  Should all the other teams fire their GM because they "failed" their team?