Did Beane Fail Josh and the fan base?

Returntoglory

We all knew that the loss of Diggs was going to potentially be bad for Josh and the Bills, unless they could replace him via the draft or a trade.

The passing game for the Bills is not "passing" the eye test, IMHO. There is no "Goto" guy and none of the current guys on the roster have taken a step forward as you would have hoped.

Statistically, Josh is up on every passing stat this year compared to the last four except yardage, where his per game is 20% lower, roughly.

Should Beane been more aggressive in FA? Did Beane fail JA? The fans??

• Vomit 7
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 4

I think we can all agree that we knew this was going to be somewhat of a "reset" year, and that the initial hot start of 3-0 has led to some absurd hot takes after the one ugly loss. But my god, how many different ways can we complain about this team in a week after a loss? 

No - Beane did not fail us. He did not fail JA. He put together one hell of a roster, which has subsequently been decimated by injury, suspension, and bad luck overall. The money isn't there to make a big splash in FA, and even if it were - who would you suggest that would have been a good fit that didn't break the cap? 

4 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Diggs failed the team, fans, and JA in 2024. That's for sure

He also failed the team the whole 2nd half of 2023, including playoffs - let's not forget. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

You may get a lot of eyeroll emoji's or laugh emoji's or whatever, but I will join you. The answer is YES!! A million times over yes, for too many reasons to get into. If you have a QB like Josh, I think you need to do everything humanly possible to build the best damn team around him. I know we have come close a few times, but really, most of it was because of Josh, and yes, in 2020 Diggs and Josh's connection was a big part of that. Two things Beane did right. Outside of that, his drafting has been sus. He signed an old man to a huge contract and then the guy got hurt on Thanksgiving, so the signing felt pointless. He signs short, bargain bin receivers year in and out. It's to the point where I no longer have hope when I hear rumors of a HUGE signing. I know it's not going to happen, which is why I am not even entertaining Davante Adams as  a Bill.

Back to failing Josh again, I came into this season not feeling very excited about it. Feeling like it may be a rough year. Then I was pleasantly surprised by the three wins and started to feel good, only to see how overmatched we were against The Ravens and now I feel bad about the state of this team again. Josh is 28 years old, in his 7th season, and this is the team we have surrounding him?? I honestly never felt the team was THAT good in seasons prior, I just thought Josh and the combination of Daboll elevated it a lot more than some other QB could. The talent was decent though. This year, I don't know. 

Obviously he cannot control the injuries, but Shakir not playing on Sunday and the sad defense we are putting on the field does not make me feel good about the potential outcome of this game. I feel like Josh's career is being wasted here. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Diggs failed the team, fans, and JA in 2024. That's for sure

I’m not going to disagree with this but I will point out that Diggs was pretty much the only player on the entire team (led by JA) who didn’t quit against the Bengals in the playoffs. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 years ago by counting on Gabe to be WR 2 is the biggest disappointment of this regime.  

WR 2 needs to be WR 1 the second an injury happens.  

I had hopes he could be but these are the experts that have to KNOW what they got in him.  They banked on him becoming Nicco Collins and he was just Mike Williams super lite.  

We never acted with the kind of urgency you think you should be as the situation with Diggs began to unravel post Bengals debacle to get a WR 2 to be WR 1.  We were told Kincaid kinda solved that issue.

These aren’t fireable offenses (a massive disappointment yes) but it’s a major reason our WR 1 this weekend is “Not Sure.” 

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I’m not going to disagree with this but I will point out that Diggs was pretty much the only player on the entire team (led by JA) who didn’t quit against the Bengals in the playoffs. 

Be that as it may, Diggs post season record is nothing to brag about, seven games, two touchdowns, Dawson Knox has been far more productive with seven touchdowns in his post season career, 

• Like (+1) 1

Our roster is much worse this year.  The margin for error is super low and it took 4 weeks for that to be realized.  

This year will be frustrating b/c the rest of the league is not great and our Division is really not great.  The Bills teams of the last few years would probably win it all this year.

I'd argue the Chiefs weren't great last year and aren't great this year.  I refuse to believe Sam Darnold can win a Super Bowl... but is he really worse than Purdy?  Purdy almost won.

Next year should be our year.  More cap flexibility.  Haul of draft picks.  Probably mid-round picks instead of late round.  Make it happen...

• Haha (+1) 1

We can't be aggressive in FA because we wasted 140M on Von.  Our coaches (McD/ Babich) continue to make dumb mistakes like not going heavy box against Henry. Or Brady drawing up the worst trick play ever. We're now starting our 3rd straight year of excessive injuries.  I don't buy the fact that this is just bad luck.  Some of these things are preventable.  I want Ben Johnson as a HC, but it's never going to happen.  I wanted a 2nd wr drafted last April,  but it wasn't going to happen. This organization is going to have to decide real fast to either spend their resources around Josh or continue to attain a bunch of under performing injury prone defensive players.  Thank God the afce sucks this year.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

1 minute ago, WeckMonster said:

Our roster is much worse this year.  The margin for error is super low and it took 4 weeks for that to be realized.  

This year will be frustrating b/c the rest of the league is not great and our Division is really not great.  The Bills teams of the last few years would probably win it all this year.

I'd argue the Chiefs weren't great last year and aren't great this year.  I refuse to believe Sam Darnold can win a Super Bowl... but is he really worse than Purdy?  Purdy almost won.

Next year should be our year.  More cap flexibility.  Haul of draft picks.  Probably mid-round picks instead of late round.  Make it happen...

Why won’t it be Washington’s or Houston’s?

Time for long term planning is over when you have Allen in year 7 - if there is an opportunity to dramatically increase your odds to win now (Adams) you do it. 

It’s why I’d have ZERO issue (I’d prefer not to) trading a first by Oct 31 to get him.  

I don’t get this at all…unloading a player for picks that you’re assuredly going to lose in free agency in a few years who’s value might completely evaporate isn’t that crazy to begin with 

then on top of that you eat all his dead money the year where you’ve got another brutal contract that’s ending makes sense.

before you even get to ‘was diggs hurting the team with diva-ness’ I can understand doing it 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Conlan58 said:

He also failed the team the whole 2nd half of 2023, including playoffs - let's not forget. 

And he has done next to nothing in every playoff elimination game he has been a part of. Your #1 receiver is supposed to step it up in the playoffs, not disappear.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, MJS said:

And he has done next to nothing in every playoff elimination game he has been a part of. Your #1 receiver is supposed to step it up in the playoffs, not disappear.

This doesn’t get talked about enough…how can we say the bills coaching disappears in the later playoff rounds and give Diggs a free pass? I see the words can’t separate getting thrown around about our current wrs but Diggs wasn’t even doing that in the games that matter 😂

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Not only did he disappear on the field in the playoffs, but also the locker room after the playoff losses. 

36 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

We all knew that the loss of Diggs was going to potentially be bad for Josh and the Bills, unless they could replace him via the draft or a trade.

The passing game for the Bills is not "passing" the eye test, IMHO. There is no "Goto" guy and none of the current guys on the roster have taken a step forward as you would have hoped.

Statistically, Josh is up on every passing stat this year compared to the last four except yardage, where his per game is 20% lower, roughly.

It’s a group effort.

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Because we actually can run the ball now. 

• Like (+1) 1