Dentists......love em or hate em?

Sweats

So, i've had a toothache for about 3 weeks.......like, i'm talking shooting pain up through my eye, headaches, whole face hurting badly, etc.

I haven't eaten or slept in 3 weeks either and all loaded up on Advil and Tylenol.

I went in to see my dentist and explain what's going on and they make an appointment for the following week, even though they can see i'm in obvious pain. Appointment time rolls around, i go in and they take xrays of my whole face......there is a tooth at the back of my mouth that is split in half, like completely sheared right through. The dentist says, "wow, that looks painful, you must be in a lot of discomfort".........yeah doc, that'll do it.

So, he says we have 2 options.......root canal or pull it. For me there was really only one option, just pull it......make the pain go away now.

No problem, he says.......come back at 9am next Friday and we'll work on it.

Can you see the timeline going on here? I went in the first week to make the appointment, i go in the 2nd week to take the xrays and assessment and i don't get the work done till the following week........so that's 3 weeks, which is why i've had a toothache for 3 weeks.

Is this a regular thing with a dentist?.......making a person suffer for 3 weeks for no apparent reason?

Anyways, this morning is the day i'm getting it pulled, until he finds another reason to make me come back next week, for whatever reason........UGH

Dentists.......love em or hate em?

How long have you been going to "my dentist"? 

If the dentist is a solo dentist and schedule is full he might have trouble fitting you in schedule for an extraction.

Extractions take a significant amount of time.

Did you make a comment such as "Not sure I can deal with the pain for that long. Can you recommend someone else who can get me in sooner?"

I had a dental hygienist do a little dance for me before a cleaning to the song Let's Hear for the Boy. Granted I inadvertently responded to her online personal ad previously as of course her online profile she wasn't wearing her glasses and I didn't recognize her at first. Yet once I did we thought it be best we keep things on a professional level. Sadly she left the office I go to and no idea where she is now but it makes for a great story and memory. 

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

So, i've had a toothache for about 3 weeks.......like, i'm talking shooting pain up through my eye, headaches, whole face hurting badly, etc.

I haven't eaten or slept in 3 weeks either and all loaded up on Advil and Tylenol.

I went in to see my dentist and explain what's going on and they make an appointment for the following week, even though they can see i'm in obvious pain. Appointment time rolls around, i go in and they take xrays of my whole face......there is a tooth at the back of my mouth that is split in half, like completely sheared right through. The dentist says, "wow, that looks painful, you must be in a lot of discomfort".........yeah doc, that'll do it.

So, he says we have 2 options.......root canal or pull it. For me there was really only one option, just pull it......make the pain go away now.

Can you see the timeline going on here? I went in the first week to make the appointment, i go in the 2nd week to take the xrays and assessment and i don't get the work done till the following week........so that's 3 weeks, which is why i've had a toothache for 3 weeks.

Is this a regular thing with a dentist?.......making a person suffer for 3 weeks for no apparent reason?

Anyways, this morning is the day i'm getting it pulled, until he finds another reason to make me come back next week, for whatever reason........UGH

I'm sure there's not "no apparent reason".  I feel like dentists availability is tough.

My dad has cancer.  At the ER back in the summer, they found an apple sized tumor on his stomach and it's now pressing on his intestines causing extreme pain.

He couldn't eat at all and lost about 40 lbs in a few weeks....he could barely move.  They couldn't surgically remove it because it's follicular lymphoma.

So they gave him pain killers.  When those pain killers wear off, he's back to extreme pain.  He wasn't able to get a biopsy for 2 weeks.   After the biopsy, he wasn't able to see the oncologist for treatment for another 10 days.

He wasn't set up for chemo until another week after that.

I think it's simply availability and not wanting to make you suffer.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Alright, so the dentist figured they could save the tooth (i have no idea what was left of it to save) so they did a root canal, just got back home, i'm hurting and i'm going to bed.

Over and out.

16 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Alright, so the dentist figured they could save the tooth (i have no idea what was left of it to save) so they did a root canal, just got back home, i'm hurting and i'm going to bed.

Over and out.

Watch the Sabres game. It’ll put you to sleep.

My dentist as a kid in Hamburg did not believe in novocaine or numbing to do any work, he would just put headphones on us.  Needless to say, I don’t need to hear what he’s doing to know it hurts. My two sisters and I were all traumatized, but this clown was a friend of my parents. As a result of my serious aversion/phobia, I allowed myself to get behind the eight ball in terms of dental work. 

Fast forward to young adulthood, and I married a dentist’s daughter. She would assist him on evening and weekend emergencies. She insisted that she could hold a mirror and watch Dad extract her wisdom teeth. She often says she loves working with her hands (quite true) and she should have taken over her dad’s practice. 

We would not seem compatible on the surface in terms of how we viewed dentists. She wanted to be one, I wanted to shoot them all. I still despise going, but I stay on my routine and avoid letting anything getting worse than it has to. 

• Shocked 1

7 hours ago, Sweats said:

wife had a cleaning for next week, and had a conflict and so asked to reschedule. They said the next available date was march 2025. 5 months?!! For a cleaning?! 

I will say at least with my dentist, they like me more than my wife! The one time I had a really big emergency, they got me in for at least a temporary stop gap within a day. 

I will say, Covid threw the schedule off. I’m not sure how long they were closed, or how far behind I got on cleanings and checkups, but it was substantial. Of course, my wife started going back long before I did. She pays for an extra visit every year. (I swear she’s otherwise pretty normal.) 

I actually just found a great dentist after a lifetime of bad experiences.

Had a front tooth knocked out when I was a kid and the dentist put in a fake but it would turn a grayish color after a few months. Got it replaced by him 3-4 times in high school but you can imagine the comments I got. finally went to a different dentist who was like oh he’s using this cheap product known for this and put in one that was in my mouth until last year almost 23 years later. 

I had to get any dental work done before I was put on the transplant list. Told the dentist this and they did the work within the month.  Got a 30 year old filling replaced and a chipped tooth mended.  Had scheduled cleaning done a few days after New Years Day.  Next cleaning was supposed to be May but I had to wait until 6 months post transplant. The transplant center gave clearance but it said after Aug 15th. So the dentist put me on their call list if there was an opening. Got a call and got my cleaning right after Labor Day. Have to get the transplant center to prescribe antibiotics for the day before any cleaning.

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm sure there's not "no apparent reason".  I feel like dentists availability is tough.

My dad has cancer.  At the ER back in the summer, they found an apple sized tumor on his stomach and it's now pressing on his intestines causing extreme pain.

He couldn't eat at all and lost about 40 lbs in a few weeks....he could barely move.  They couldn't surgically remove it because it's follicular lymphoma.

So they gave him pain killers.  When those pain killers wear off, he's back to extreme pain.  He wasn't able to get a biopsy for 2 weeks.   After the biopsy, he wasn't able to see the oncologist for treatment for another 10 days.

So it's no availability and still the cost.

Why do people still fear single-payer? At least it will be no availability and no cost. /smdh...

Canadians typical answer:  What’s a dentist?

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Very sorry to hear this and will pray for your dad.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

I will say, Covid threw the schedule off. I’m not sure how long they were closed, or how far behind I got on cleanings and checkups, but it was substantial. Of course, my wife started going back long before I did. She pays for an extra visit every year. (I swear she’s otherwise pretty normal.) 

I was scheduled to have a cleaning/checkup in April 2020, of course it got cancelled.  When their office opened back up, they never called me to reschedule, and I have not called them.  I'd been thinking of switching dentists anyways, just have to do it and find a new one.  

• Like (+1) 1