Josh Allen is making $60m this season

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It was about taking more money into this year's cap and freeing up space in 2025 and 2028

This is the opposite of what happened.  They restructured Josh to free up space this year, kicking the can down the road.

His cap hit jumps in 2025 from $30M to $43M. In 2026, it goes to $63M.

46 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This is the opposite of what happened.  They restructured Josh to free up space this year, kicking the can down the road.

His cap hit jumps in 2025 from $30M to $43M. In 2026, it goes to $63M.

Well, I've been wrong before. If I'm wrong again, it won't be the first time.

But why does Ginitti say this, then? "The move does lower his cap hit in 2025 for now by about $15 million." You're saying his 2025 cap hit jumps from $30M to $43M. Ginitti say it's lowered.

You also say, "They restructured Josh to free up space this year, kicking the can down the road." Yeah? If so, why does Ginitti say "Giving Allen more money in 2024 actually resulted in a net zero on his cap hit"?

You're right (and I'M WRONG!!!!!) about one thing, though, I thought that this raised the team cap totals for this year. Clearly I'm wrong about that, as Ginitti says the cap for this year doesn't change. MEA CULPA!! Wrong is wrong and I'm wrong there!!!

I saw that blue line in Ginitti's article and thought it was the end. On re-reading, it was not. There was plenty more to read.

According to Ginitti, Josh's cap hits go like this:

Cap details from March 2024 (after the re-structure but before this last move):

2024 cap hit:  $30.4M

2025 cap hit:  $60.7M

2026 cap hit:  $56.431M

2027 cap hit:  $49.5M

2028 cap hit:  $45.725M

Cap details AFTER Summer 2024 renegotiation where the $30M is moved forward

2024 cap hit:  $30.4M  (no change)

2025 cap hit:  $43.4M 

2027 cap hit:  $57M

2028 cap hit:  $48.225M

Again, Ginitti's numbers, not mine.

So looks like he cleared up space in 2025, kept the hits the same this year and added a bit extra in 2027 and 2028. and in  And doing so he also moved up a ton of cash payments to Josh this year, a very nice carrot for Josh.

I think we were both partly wrong.

I love that they freed up cap space in 2025. I guess they must feel that the total team cap numbers will go up enough by 2027 and 2028 that they'll be able to better manage and offset the extra cap money it will cost in those years. Again, a smart move by Beane, and one that makes Josh happy.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Dislike 1

14 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Allen was restructured to bring his cap hit down. Him getting more cash upfront was just a bonus.

His contract is not getting extended or reworked until 2026, coincidentally when his cap hit balloons to $60M again. They will tack on more years and guarantees on and continue to restructure to keep his cap hit lower.

14 hours ago, boyst said:

This 

Allens numbers next year are low to make the renegotiation in 2026 wide open if done before the year starts. 

Wait... you guys actually believe this Bills will only pay the 2nd best player in the NFL  $14.5 million next season? :doh:

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Wait... you guys actually believe this Bills will only pay the 2nd best player in the NFL  $14.5 million next season? :doh:

Not at all. They could have even taken more off of this year's salary cap to kick forward but they did not in order to leave 20-25 alone and put in place better options to pull it in should they not go to the full amount of the salary cap next year and get ahead of the increase in 2026. 

…, and all that money for a guy, that, as I read it right here on this forum that he has lost a step…, 

😂

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

…, and all that money for a guy, that, as I read it right here on this forum that he has lost a step…, 

😂

And overrated.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Well, I've been wrong before. If I'm wrong again, it won't be the first time.

But why does Ginitti say this, then? "The move does lower his cap hit in 2025 for now by about $15 million." You're saying his 2025 cap hit jumps from $30M to $43M. Ginitti say it's lowered.

You also say, "They restructured Josh to free up space this year, kicking the can down the road." Yeah? If so, why does Ginitti say "Giving Allen more money in 2024 actually resulted in a net zero on his cap hit"?

You're right (and I'M WRONG!!!!!) about one thing, though, I thought that this raised the team cap totals for this year. Clearly I'm wrong about that, as Ginitti says the cap for this year doesn't change. MEA CULPA!! Wrong is wrong and I'm wrong there!!!

I saw that blue line in Ginitti's article and thought it was the end. On re-reading, it was not. There was plenty more to read.

According to Ginitti, Josh's cap hits go like this:

Cap details from March 2024 (after the re-structure but before this last move):

2024 cap hit:  $30.4M

2025 cap hit:  $60.7M

2027 cap hit:  $49.5M

2028 cap hit:  $45.725M

Cap details AFTER Summer 2024 renegotiation where the $30M is moved forward

2024 cap hit:  $30.4M  (no change)

2025 cap hit:  $43.4M 

2027 cap hit:  $57M

2028 cap hit:  $48.225M

Again, Ginitti's numbers, not mine.

So looks like he cleared up space in 2025, kept the hits the same this year and added a bit extra in 2027 and 2028. and in  And doing so he also moved up a ton of cash payments to Josh this year, a very nice carrot for Josh.

I think we were both partly wrong.

I love that they freed up cap space in 2025. I guess they must feel that the total team cap numbers will go up enough by 2027 and 2028 that they'll be able to better manage and offset the extra cap money it will cost in those years. Again, a smart move by Beane, and one that makes Josh happy.

So here's what happens, chain of events style.

Josh Allen was set to cost $47M against the cap in 2024. The Bills restructure into a signing bonus. This brings his cap hit in 2024 to $30M. That cap hit is PUSHED BACK to save money now. It has to be accounted for in the future. All of the teams do this. This is kicking the can.

Next, the Bills renegotiate some of his money to increase his cash upfront this season. This does not affect his cap hit this season and decreases his hit in 25, but increases it again down the road. Again, kicking the can.

None of the moves done with Josh's contract this offseason increased his cap hit. They did the opposite. And you have to commend the creative accounting, but make no mistake, they are still shuffling Josh's money around to not feel the pain until they have no choice.

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Maybe?

the more likely scenarios is they give him some more cash next year, increase the cap hit later, then hit 4 year extension button

15 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's 2 years into a 6 year deal. Let it ride until the end. If he's still in decent shape by then, re-sign him or franchise.

I mean, at a minimum we recoup a third round comp pick if he walks…

This seems like it turned into a CAP argument.

The point was really that Allen is actually getting paid like the best QB in the NFL with #1 money.  I could be wrong and Dak and possibly Mahomes could be making that at the moment... but it's a heckuva lot better than the 13th or 14th best QB in the league.

Next season, according to Ginnitti, Allen will only make $14.5 million.  Now... that's not necessarily his CAP hit, just how much Allen will actually make next year.

I just do not think Beane will allow Allen to only make $14.5 million next year.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This seems like it turned into a CAP argument.

The point was really that Allen is actually getting paid like the best QB in the NFL with #1 money.  I could be wrong and Dak and possibly Mahomes could be making that at the moment... but it's a heckuva lot better than the 13th or 14th best QB in the league.

Next season, according to Ginnitti, Allen will only make $14.5 million.  Now... that's not necessarily his CAP hit, just how much Allen will actually make next year.

I just do not think Beane will allow Allen to only make $14.5 million next year.

Goff is getting $80M.

Burrow is getting $65M.

Cousins is getting $62M.

Love is getting $79M.

Dak is getting $81M.

Herby is getting $56M.

kinda interesting, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone caring about cash year to year.