Should the Bills trade for a top-tier weapon before the trade deadline?

To the OP, are any of those guys actually top tier weapons? Or just expensive guys past their prime…, 

• Like (+1) 1

yes this WR group is not getting it done, basically getting nothing from the free agent class they signed.  Adams cost too much and Im not sure I would consider him elite anymore. they need some dependable WR...  right now the cupboard is bare. 

16 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I say wait and see until the actual deadline, which is in month or so.

If we are 7-2 and there is a good player to be had for a reasonable cost, why not. But if we are 5-4 or so I say let it just play out and save resources.

I would prefer to stick with the reset, but I do not at all disagree with this.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Just don't send @HOUSE to negotiations and we got a shot at anybody

That’s from his growing up raised on the Ralph Wilson model on how to build a franchise.

Though his math is surely more realistic than the “gitter dunners” overrunning this forum.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Well, saving about $8mil on the MIller suspension, so there is a little money around.  But, these guys are not playing for that, even for half a season.  Now, if the seller will pay most of salary, the ok.   (like the Steelers Russel Wilson deal where they are paying only $1mil)

No. We are saving almost nothing due to Miller’s reworked contract. Between salary and active roster bonuses Miller will lose about $375k. That comes off the Bills cap, but another player will replace him on the 53. The league minimum salary for a first year rookie is $795k. Four games of salary at that rate is $187k. So the most cap space the Bills will save is about $188k.*

* Edited to add: A player that we are already paying who is coming off IR would not add to the cap. We could get the whole $375k in savings in that case. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He’s 32…why would they restructure what is an awful deal where even a restructure would be a ton of money tied to a then 33 old WR?  

His deal isnt guaranteed after this year, he’s gonna get cut and signed to a more reasonable deal for a 33 year old WR.  But he would also be a FA and free to sign wherever too and for the most money if that’s what he wanted again.  

Adams is even already assumed to be one of the FA WRs next year because everyone knows Raiders were going to have to cut him after this season based on his deal.  

Well assuming you are trading a 2nd round pick (and plus something else perhaps) you obviously wouldnt think he is old and washed up and has more than 1 good year left. If you felt that way why would you trade anything at all.  What I am saying is if there is a trade for him, I do not believe it would be for 10 games. I can see why you would not want to trade for someone if that is your thought, but my thought is you wouldnt trade for someone in the first place at that price.

Edited by Bray Wyatt
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Nonsense.

For the ten millionth time, the Chiefs won a title last year with a group that was worse. Yes, they also had a very good TE. So do we.

A generational talent at QB allows you to be very effective without being forced to spend a ton on WRs.

As has been been pointed out, again, about ten million times, they expected to have Diggs still here, till he forced his way out. He admits that's true and that he made it happen.

Everybody eats is indeed a catchphrase, but it's also a very reasonable approach in terms of these circumstances.

Yeah, damn it, and for a team with zero wins, we ...

... oh, wait, we're 3 - 1. Relax, Chicken Little.

Yeah we really dominated those teams that are a combined 2-10

1 hour ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Well assuming you are trading a 2nd round pick (and plus something else perhaps) you obviously wouldnt think he is old and washed up and has more than 1 good year left. If you felt that way why would you trade anything at all.  What I am saying is if there is a trade for him, I do not believe it would be for 10 games. I can see why you would not want to trade for someone if that is your thought, but my thought is you wouldnt trade for someone in the first place at that price.

Yet these kinds of trades do happen all the time where a player either is a FA the year after, or has a contract where they will be a clear cut. 

And I mean Texans just did that with Diggs giving us a second and voiding all future years of his deal. 

Rams won a SB doing it.  That’s the point, it’s an all in move to win it all that year.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet these kinds of trades do happen all the time where a player either is a FA the year after, or has a contract where they will be a clear cut. 

And I mean Texans just did that with Diggs giving us a second and voiding all future years of his deal. 

Rams won a SB doing it.  That’s the point, it’s an all in move to win it all that year.

Yet it also happens where people trade for players and keep that deal or extend.  Yes the Texans traded us that and did that, I dont think it was a good deal for them do you? 

The going rate seems to be around a 4th rd pick for an aging wr with an expiring deal (see Amari Cooper and Keenan Allen)

I find it amazing that Beane got what he did, but if I was on the other end and we gave up a 2nd for a rental I'd be mad.

56 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah we really dominated those teams that are a combined 2-10

They were dominating the Dolphins when Tua was playing. They aren't a bad team with him playing QB. 

18 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Unless its someone on a real cheap deal but you said a top tier guy, so then no.  Want to keep he cap $$ for next year.  If they were going to do that, they could have kept Diggs or Morse, but they want to take the big hit on the cap this year and be done with it.  So don't go right back to where we were.

Cooper is dirt cheap and it would not take much to make Hopkins also dirt cheap with a simple restructure.  The question is the draft capital cost IMO.  I’d throw a 4th or 5th for Cooper, he’d eat up less than 1M in cap space for a guy that’s at least capable of being a low end #1.  We are paying WAY more for far less on this roster.

• Agree 1

the trade for Diggs worked out very well, albeit only for a few years.  

A guy like Adams is likely to be successful on his new team for the remained of the season at the very least.  If you can do it without killing the cap (lower base, bigger bonus, etc) then do it.  I'd also be interested in Hopkins, who may cost less in a trade and dollar wise.  

Not only would that inject positive energy into the entire team indicating management is all in, but it also it would allow Coleman to develop without the pressure of being Josh’s #1 receiver. Right now, if defenses take Cook away(like Baltimore did) and pin their ears back and bring multiple rushers off the edge, Josh is running for his life. There is no passing threat that defenses have to defend with double teams. Trading for an available #1 or #2 like Cooper or a Kirk would be worth considering.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Cooper is dirt cheap and it would not take much to make Hopkins also dirt cheap with a simple restructure.  The question is the draft capital cost IMO.  I’d throw a 4th or 5th for Cooper, he’d eat up less than 1M in cap space for a guy that’s at least capable of being a low end #1.  We are paying WAY more for far less on this roster.

Depends on how simple and the implications towards the following years cap.  The Bills just took some big hits this season to free up cash going forward so don't want to undo that good  for  a small improvement this year.  Like someone else posted if the team is 7-1 at that point, then maybe, but much worse stick with the plan and the plan whether they state it publicly or not, their actions spell mini rebuild year.

On 10/4/2024 at 2:43 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

1. Our dud game was a collective dud effort top to bottom...players both sides of the ball and coaches.  I don't think everyone believes we are as bad as the team played against the Ravens.

Our Dud game was more due to poor coaching and not putting our players in position to succeed.   We should go after a player only if he is likely to be a long term Bills player.   

This week they need to use Curtis for what he was signed as a FA.  We need to let him lose.  I was shocked to see the stats that he has had only 9 targets...Even MVS has had 20 targets...We need to leverage the money we have invested in MVS and Samuel.   Go Bills !!!