Should the Bills trade for a top-tier weapon before the trade deadline?

7 hours ago, Augie said:

…for the right player for the right acquisition cost on the right contract given the age. 

The Raiders have made it clear they want a 2nd. If you could get Vegas to eat a relatively large portion of his salary, Id say yes. I think you could get a couple good years out of Adams. Josh needs help and MVS, Hollins & Samuel are cutting it.

8 hours ago, jahnyc said:

A top tier WR would be great, but maybe the needs on defense are greater.  Still not convinced that our safety play is strong enough and help at DT and DE may be the most significant need given our lack of quality depth on the d-line.  LB is a need as well, but if Bernard can come back this week or next week and Milano in December, we should be okay.

McDs D is gonna fold in crunch time anyway. Having O help to make up for it should be way to go. The more points they score the more McDs D can ***** up right. 

12 hours ago, Draconator said:

Do you not know what Von got? Diggs? Dawkins? Brown? Knox?

Beane is spending money. 

Yes and it didn’t get it done… figure it out.   Ideally I wish we could trade for Crosby.  I think he would have a bigger impact 

I think Adams is off the table because of the contract. I thought I heard of they were to trade for Cooper it would only cost us a couple hundred thousand because of the way host contract is. Honestly I have no idea if that’s true. But thought I heard that somewhere. That makes it a reasonable possibility. I’d imagine Hopkins wouldn’t be that much either. Plus on top of that, Adams would likely cost much more in return on the trade. Where as Hopkins or Cooper could probably be had for some rd3 or after picks. 

but the real question, is why bother? They aren’t using the current ones they have now anyway. Kincaid barely gets what he should. Coleman doesn’t exactly have a ton of targets. Has anyone even seen Knox in the field? He sure doesn’t get any targets. What happened to the super great Mack Hollins? Heard his name maybe 4 times all year. Somehow people thought Samuel would do something under Brady and he’s barely noticeable unless he’s taking snaps in the wildcat. Seriously, why bother? It’s pretty clear what McDermott wants out of this offense and he’s getting what he wants. You could have Megatron in his prime on this team and they would still be passing 5 yards down field and not actually utilizing the WRs. 

This narrative is going to get really loud on Sunday afternoon if Shakir has to sit out & the Bills don’t score at least 30. I’m all for it as it seems we can afford to do it especially Cooper. A Adams deal won’t surprise me as we have a lot of draft capital where we can overpay to get Adams a leave his contract back in Las Vegas. 

No, I do not want to trade for another weapon. I'd like our OC to design plays for the last 2 guys we drafted with our first pick the last 2 years. 

If Brady can't get Coleman and Kincaid involved why does anyone think any other WR we brought in would be used well? It's not like he's designed all these plays for them and they can't catch the ball or something. 

Especially being Brady has Diggs here last year and went away from using him. Guys like Adams are 170 target a season dudes, and that's not what this offense is geared to anymore. 

And my personal opinion, I think we are a bit more than 1 WR away from Super Bowl glory. It just makes very little sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

Probably not. Largely due to cap consequences.

If they can bring in someone without major consequences, great. But generally the big names aren't cheap and if they are they'd require major trade value, probably a 2nd rounder or more.

IMO if they bring someone in, it won't be one of the top names, someone mid-range and not too expensive.

12 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was referring to mid-season trades. How many in-season deadline trades in the NFL really panned out? I can’t really think of many. 

Rasul Douglas. Amari Cooper to the Cowboys. Christian McCaffrey. Minkah Fitzpatrick. Marshawn Lynch. Jalen Ramsey.

There are a bunch.

14 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

“Everybody Eats” is just a catch phrase created to mask the fact that this WR group is barely serviceable and it’s a sin to saddle a generational talent at quarterback with such mediocrity. Mack Hollins getting meaningful snaps? Shakir an uncontested WR1? Get someone in here whom defenses genuinely respect. If Miami and NY weren’t such train wrecks (not certain the Jets are), a playoff berth would be questionable. Flame away, Homers 🤪

Nonsense.

For the ten millionth time, the Chiefs won a title last year with a group that was worse. Yes, they also had a very good TE. So do we.

A generational talent at QB allows you to be very effective without being forced to spend a ton on WRs.

As has been been pointed out, again, about ten million times, they expected to have Diggs still here, till he forced his way out. He admits that's true and that he made it happen.

Everybody eats is indeed a catchphrase, but it's also a very reasonable approach in terms of these circumstances.

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I think Adams is off the table because of the contract. I thought I heard of they were to trade for Cooper it would only cost us a couple hundred thousand because of the way host contract is. Honestly I have no idea if that’s true. But thought I heard that somewhere. That makes it a reasonable possibility. I’d imagine Hopkins wouldn’t be that much either. Plus on top of that, Adams would likely cost much more in return on the trade. Where as Hopkins or Cooper could probably be had for some rd3 or after picks. 

but the real question, is why bother? They aren’t using the current ones they have now anyway. Kincaid barely gets what he should. Coleman doesn’t exactly have a ton of targets. Has anyone even seen Knox in the field? He sure doesn’t get any targets. What happened to the super great Mack Hollins? Heard his name maybe 4 times all year. Somehow people thought Samuel would do something under Brady and he’s barely noticeable unless he’s taking snaps in the wildcat. Seriously, why bother? It’s pretty clear what McDermott wants out of this offense and he’s getting what he wants. You could have Megatron in his prime on this team and they would still be passing 5 yards down field and not actually utilizing the WRs. 

Yeah, damn it, and for a team with zero wins, we ...

... oh, wait, we're 3 - 1. Relax, Chicken Little.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Adams is gone after this season.  We arent paying 34.5M a year for next 2 years.  Its a half season rental.  So trading for him if he isnt going to get us over the hump is a waste of draft assets that could have been used to draft a WR to be here 4 years on a rookie deal.  

You only make the trade for Adams if you are certain it puts you legitimately into serious contention to win the SB.  

Against the Ravens we were not a Davante Adams away from winning that game.  But you also can't base it on one game.  So I think Beane will more likely wait and see what this team does next couple weeks before he knows if Adams gets us to the big dance or not.  If not, its a waste of time. 

The bolded is not true. I am not saying we are trading for him, but if we did, that money is not guaranteed. It would be easy to restructure the deal and lessen the cap ramifications on that, and would most likely be done/agreed to prior to a trade.

I doubt anyone is trading a second rd pick (rumored price) for him and planning on keeping him half a season, especially when he has years left on his deal.

• Disagree 1

Well, saving about $8mil on the MIller suspension, so there is a little money around.  But, these guys are not playing for that, even for half a season.  Now, if the seller will pay most of salary, the ok.   (like the Steelers Russel Wilson deal where they are paying only $1mil)

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

The bolded is not true. I am not saying we are trading for him, but if we did, that money is not guaranteed. It would be easy to restructure the deal and lessen the cap ramifications on that, and would most likely be done/agreed to prior to a trade.

I doubt anyone is trading a second rd pick (rumored price) for him and planning on keeping him half a season, especially when he has years left on his deal.

He’s 32…why would they restructure what is an awful deal where even a restructure would be a ton of money tied to a then 33 old WR?  

His deal isnt guaranteed after this year, he’s gonna get cut and signed to a more reasonable deal for a 33 year old WR.  But he would also be a FA and free to sign wherever too and for the most money if that’s what he wanted again.  

Adams is even already assumed to be one of the FA WRs next year because everyone knows Raiders were going to have to cut him after this season based on his deal.