Should the Bills trade for a top-tier weapon before the trade deadline?

The Buffalo Bills are getting mentioned as trade candidates for a lot of high name receiving targets.

-Amari Cooper

-Davante Adams

-Courtland Sutton

-Deandre Hopkins

Pros:

-Go all in this year and solidify yourself a top tier weapon come January/Febuary.

-Potentially get these players for a cheap draft pick (the teams these players are on won’t be contenders this season)

-Potentially help the development of guys like Khalil Shakir, Keon Coleman, and dalton kincaid

Cons:

-Completely give up on mcdermotts moto “everybody eats” essentially saying this wide receiver core won’t get the job done.

-Have to take in a lot of cap this year and the following year in order to keep these players on our roster.

-More pressure to bring in a ring this year

Personally, I’m against it. I like the idea of having money next year spend on players/resign current talent on the roster. But also, I feel like a guy like Amari cooper couldn’t hurt to get for this years playoff run and then potentially get rid of or restructure their contract this offseason. Let me know what you guys think. 🤔 

Edited by iwishitwerecolder

No.  This isn't a spend year.

I don't want an Adams trade to impact spending for the first year in the stadium.  Don't want to hear about why we can't get a 2025 or 2026 premier player because we did some financial gymnastics this year on a 32-year old receiver.  

Plus, expensive older players just aren't worth it.  Von, and if you've seen Daquan Jones and his three tackles lately.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, iwishitwerecolder said:

The Buffalo Bills are getting mentioned as trade candidates for a lot of high name receiving targets.

-Amari Cooper

-Davante Adams

-Courtland Sutton

-Deandre Hopkins

Pros:

-Go all in this year and solidify yourself a top tier weapon come January/Febuary.

-Potentially get these players for a cheap draft pick (the teams these players are on won’t be contenders this season)

-Potentially help the development of guys like Khalil Shakir, Keon Coleman, and dalton kincaid

I think it is too early for Beane to know if this team is worth going all in on for one player.  We looked elite 3 weeks and laid a dud our first big test.  I think its more likley Beane will see how this team plays a couple more games before he can feel confident or not that going all in on one player could get us over the hump this year.  

But...what is working in our favor are 3 things:

1. We looked unreal the first 3 weeks.  
  2. Our dud game was a collective dud effort top to bottom...players both sides of the ball and coaches.  I don't think everyone believes we are as bad as the team played against the Ravens.
  3. Most important - The top of the AFC does not look as daunting as it did in the preseason.  KC may be the most vulnerable they have been with the losses they have taken too and don't seem to be a player on bringing in any significant help.

Cons:

-Completely give up on mcdermotts moto “everybody eats” essentially saying this wide receiver core won’t get the job done.

-Have to take in a lot of cap this year and the following year in order to keep these players on our roster.

Bringing in another WR does not mean they give up on the "everybody eats" moto.  That isn't flawed, Josh should be looking to find the open man each play and not force feeding any WR on the field we would trade for.  

Personally, I’m against it. I like the idea of having money next year spend on players/resign current talent on the roster. But also, I feel like a guy like Amari cooper couldn’t hurt to get for this years playoff run and then potentially get rid of or restructure their contract this offseason. Let me know what you guys think. 🤔 

Like everyone, I badly want a Super Bowl.  My stance is lets see what this team can do these next couple weeks.  If we roll Texans and Jets I will be more for going all in on a player this year if it really looks like we can get over the hump.  If we don't appear to be a player away, then I don't want to see us create more cap issues or lose premium pick(s) on a short aging rental.  

Exception - If Budda Baker is available, I am all for getting him regardless as he would be more than a short term rental as he is still 28 and one of the best safeties in football. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, iwishitwerecolder said:

My exact thought. Don’t wanna give up too much for a guy who’s a couple years deep in his thirties

….and if that’s NOT the case, I’m fine with sitting pat for this season and making a #1 WR a high priority next year when we have more cap space and draft capital. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 3

Just now, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I wouldn’t mind taking a shot with Hopkins if the price is right. I think it’s a better alternative and would cost less than Adams..

If Shakir is out this week, we will get a really good look at the “everyone eats Wr core”

injuries were always going to be a concern at this position. 

Yeah same, I actually think it’s a better option than Adams. It’s gonna be cheaper, contract better than Adams, and he’s still a guy who can compete at a high level. Especially since trading for Adams would mean giving up one of our second round picks (which I think is gonna be huge for us in next years draft).

• Like (+1) 2

• iwishitwerecolder changed the title to Should the Bills trade for a top-tier weapon before the trade deadline?
7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think it is too early for Beane to know if this team is worth going all in on for one player.  We looked elite 3 weeks and laid a dud our first big test.  I think its more likley Beane will see how this team plays a couple more games before he can feel confident or not that going all in on one player could get us over the hump this year.  

But...what is working in our favor are 3 things:

1. We looked unreal the first 3 weeks.  
  2. Our dud game was a collective dud effort top to bottom...players both sides of the ball and coaches.  I don't think everyone believes we are as bad as the team played against the Ravens.
  3. Most important - The top of the AFC does not look as daunting as it did in the preseason.  KC may be the most vulnerable they have been with the losses they have taken too and don't seem to be a player on bringing in any significant help.

Bringing in another WR does not mean they give up on the "everybody eats" moto.  That isn't flawed, Josh should be looking to find the open man each play and not force feeding any WR on the field we would trade for.  

Like everyone, I badly want a Super Bowl.  My stance is lets see what this team can do these next couple weeks.  If we roll Texans and Jets I will be more for going all in on a player this year if it really looks like we can get over the hump.  If we don't appear to be a player away, then I don't want to see us create more cap issues or lose premium pick(s) on a short aging rental.  

Exception - If Budda Baker is available, I am all for getting him regardless as he would be more than a short term rental as he is still 28 and one of the best safeties in football. 

I disagree. McDermott and Brady got schooled by Harbaugh, but it’s also apparent to me that Buffalo lacks the firepower to compete w/ the top teams in the AFC. Josh Allen is not going to play forever. They need to get him somebody, anybody because the receivers on this team are average to below average. Maybe that will change later on in the year as Coleman (who looked good on Sunday) continues to develop, but why not spend a draft pick on a sure thing? It worked w/ Diggs. People would be straight up lying if they said they wouldn’t be excited about Devante Adams. He’s a piece of crap, but he can ball. Works for the Chiefs 

Next year is what I think they will target; lots of draft picks and more cap room. I think you roll the dice with what they have this year and not spend resources at this point in the season.

If anything, returning injured players will make a positive difference as the year goes on. 

And the offense has resources that aren’t being effectively used to the extent they could be. Knox, Samuel, Coleman and Davis could all come on as the season progresses. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

Next year is what I think they will target; lots of draft picks and more cap room. I think you roll the dice with what they have this year and not spend resources at this point in the season.

If anything, returning injured players will make a positive difference as the year goes on. 

And the offense has resources that aren’t being effectively used to the extent they could be. Knox, Samuel, Coleman and Davis could all come on as the season progresses. 

Resources spent in season are usually for desperate reasons, and you pay a premium. I look forward to seeing how it looks going forward, and I want to be smart in the big picture. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

No. I have no interest in an aging wide receiver. We chased the aging defensive end and look where that got us. This was always a bit of a retooling season anyway. And we didn't lose the game against the Ravens because of a lack of weapons, but because we were destroyed on both lines and outcoached. Be patient and wait for the draft and free agency to bring in that extra weapon for next year.

idk..

our QB got his first afc player of month since 2020...

Feel like last week was just an off night, need to see this O a cpl more weeks, still think they don't need anybody else..

If they did, I'd want a younger guy that is a long term 

Sutton would be interesting

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, iwishitwerecolder said:

-Amari Cooper

-Davante Adams

-Courtland Sutton

-Deandre Hopkins

Pros:

Cons:

Unless its someone on a real cheap deal but you said a top tier guy, so then no.  Want to keep he cap $$ for next year.  If they were going to do that, they could have kept Diggs or Morse, but they want to take the big hit on the cap this year and be done with it.  So don't go right back to where we were.

• Like (+1) 1