Tom Brady FOX announcer Critiques/Praises Thread

ryguy101

As far as talking too much, he can't be as bad as Collinsworth. That guy just can never seem to stfu and let things happen. Every single second of air time between plays he has to be droning on about something or someone. The way he gushed over Lamar making a simple jump cut in the hole was hyberbolic absurdity.

With the color guys, less is definitely more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1st week was awful. Large, large gaps of silence when he should have been saying at least something. The games I've seen since, he's slowly improving. The problem lies in his fundamental approach. It sounds like he's trying to synthesize every analyst he's ever heard and put his spin on it. I know everyone here hates him, but on Sirius, he's way better.

He needs to drop all the clichés and just be himself. I judge an analyst on how much insight they can impart. What subtle things am I missing and did I learn something new? Right now, he's got a loooong way to go.

28 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

He's terrible. No idea why Fox thought this was a good idea. He's got the most milquetoast persona as it is. He used up all his luck playing football. Nothing was left over for personality. 

I agree with you why Fox thought this was a good idea. I thought Greg Olsen was excellent on the #1 team. I mean even Madden didn't start at the top. Put Brady on the #3 team and let him earn it. Don Cherry started on regional broadcasts. Was Fox worried about ratings? Please, it's the NFL. They could pull someone out of the stands and the same amount of people will still watch.

29 minutes ago, gomper said:

I agree with you why Fox thought this was a good idea. I thought Greg Olsen was excellent on the #1 team. I mean even Madden didn't start at the top. Put Brady on the #3 team and let him earn it. Don Cherry started on regional broadcasts. Was Fox worried about ratings? Please, it's the NFL. They could pull someone out of the stands and the same amount of people will still watch.

I think the problem is he was always going to command a premium salary and so you're not just going to bury him on the lower rungs and make him climb.

I'll wait until next year to decide how good he is.  When he gets excited, his voice gets squeaky, which I find irritating but we'll see how he progresses.

I remember when Beth Mowins started announcing and she was unlistenable.  Trying to manufacture enthusiasm on every play with her super-irritating voice.

Overall, she does a pretty good job now.

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

He talks about himself. A lot.  I think his whole motivation to get into broadcasting is because he can't stand the idea of no longer being the center of attention of Sundays.

I think it’s the $300 million. Allows him to be the center if attention always. 

For me about the announcers, I really don’t care.  If I don’t like their commentary, I just mute the tv and watch.  Not sure why so many have such an issue.

As far as Brady, he was fine in The Bucs game.  He made a funny comment on Mayfield as it plays out. Mayfield mentions in an interview he wants the guys to get to back having fun.  Brady reports on air he said it’s not daycare.  We’re here to win.  That’s admirable, but maybe he’s been too intense which could have an oppositional effect.

Honestly, who cares?  He’s retired.  Even if he is the GOAT which is a valid argument as much as I hate the guy, he’s still a footnote eventually.

53 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

For me about the announcers, I really don’t care.  If I don’t like their commentary, I just mute the tv and watch.  Not sure why so many have such an issue.

As far as Brady, he was fine in The Bucs game.  He made a funny comment on Mayfield as it plays out. Mayfield mentions in an interview he wants the guys to get to back having fun.  Brady reports on air he said it’s not daycare.  We’re here to win.  That’s admirable, but maybe he’s been too intense which could have an oppositional effect.

Honestly, who cares?  He’s retired.  Even if he is the GOAT which is a valid argument as much as I hate the guy, he’s still a footnote eventually.

The quality of the announcers has little impact on my joy of watching the game.

Mostly I watch Bills games.  Sometimes the commentary is useful but mostly I'm just look at the scoreboard, down and distance, and the action on the field.  If the Bills are winning, the commentary doesn't make it any better.  If the Bills are losing, the commentary doesn't make it any worse.

For non-Bills games, it does matter somewhat.  I want the play-by-play guy to correctly call the play with an appropriate level of drama and enthusiasm.  And the color commentary to notice & report things that I don't know.  But the difference between a good NFL commentating team and a bad one, for  me, so slight as to have little impact on my enjoyment of the game.  

It's all about the drama & struggle on the field.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

He'll be calling the Super Bowl this year, so hopefully this is just his early season slump and he'll turn it on in December/January like when he was playing 

He is? Okay, found my dose of copium if the Bills don't make the big game this year.

10 hours ago, Metal Man said:

As far as talking too much, he can't be as bad as Collinsworth. Now here’s a guy that just can never seem to stfu and let things happen. Every single second of air time between plays he has to be droning on about something or someone. The way he gushed over Lamar making a simple jump cut in the hole was hyberbolic absurdity.

With the color guys, less is definitely more.

FIFY

• Haha (+1) 1

The way I look at it, if on the TV cast or radio, if your voice is unrecognizable, undistinguished, not great - it all kind of gets lost in the sauce.

Not many know it's Brady until he gets the camera on him.

• Agree 1

On 10/3/2024 at 2:51 PM, QB Bills said:

He's terrible. No idea why Fox thought this was a good idea. He's got the most milquetoast persona as it is. He used up all his luck playing football. Nothing was left over for personality. 

Obviously, he was paid as the Football Field GOAT- NEVER the Broadcast Booth. Part of Brady’s insipidness is that he trained himself to be so his entire career as the GOAT. To NEVER say anything controversial or informative in public! It’s very tough to turn that around.

I’ve heard Brady do pre game call in puff pieces on MNF with Hopkins. Think that’s his extent. Colin Cowherd summarized what you must do for each game- 300 8-10 timely, informative, humorous & entertaining sound bites! 

THAT is a really difficult job! I can whip off some decent post game one liners with my friends in the bar. But never following every play. And only the Romo’s/ Mannings of the Universe can do that PRE play- which I love.

Beats me yelling at the screen at the pre McD Bills’ buffoon HCs to never, ever call a TO on 4th & 1s! 

FOX knew what it paid for. They are hoping Brady gets better. 

On 10/3/2024 at 5:39 PM, TheFunPolice said:

He'll be calling the Super Bowl this year, so hopefully this is just his early season slump and he'll turn it on in December/January like when he was playing 

He gets to call the first bills Superbowl victory.  I like that

• Like (+1) 2