Thoughts for this Tuesday

freddyjj

I have a few ruminations about the Bills that have been kicking around my head for a couple weeks:

1.  Did Josh break his middle finger on his left hand when he used it to push off Budda Baker on the TD leap at the goal line in the Cardinals game?

2. Anyone notice how Greg Rousseau has tailed off since opening week?  I noticed that he was limping in Miami game when he followed Ingram into end zone on the Tua pick 6.

Click "watch on youtube" below and check out Rousseau as he slows down going into end zone.  Wonder if his foot is hurting again?

3.  Will the Bills ever play a traditional 4-3 again using Bernard, Milano and Williams when all are healthy?  That is the D McDermott ran as his base in Carolina. Does Lewis Cine (currently on PS) project as a coverage LB in a new Bills D 4-3 package against big formations? 

4.  Someone on here posted during the game day or post game thread "would Kromer consider benching Torrence and using Anderson at C and moving McGovern to RG as   Torrence is rated as one of the bottom 10 OGs in the league right now."  Does that make sense at this stage of the season?

5. Can Bass' s issue with FGs possibly be tied to his marrying the daughter of former Bills punter Rick "Bootin'" Tuten in March this year?  I was always taught you don't cross the streams. (sarcasm intended)

• Like (+1) 1

1. who knows. i’m sure something would have come out by now. 

2. might be right that something is bothering him but the snap counts suggest the coaches feel he’s able to be out there the majority. 

3. better start coming up with something more dynamic to stop the teams who want to run. that LB group can all play sideline to sideline. 

4. roll with torrence a few more games. he’s had some rough patches but hasn’t been a complete liability like sunday night. 

5. i’ve been in the hedge my bet camp on bass but something’s got to give. he either does a complete change or course or you move on asap. 

Josh having a broken finger is plausible. He had the middle finger & ring finger on his left hand buddy-taped vs the Ravens. I noticed & thought it was odd since the supposed injury was to the hand, not fingers.

Hand could be broken or ruptured tenon. If it's broken he might be able to go without glove after Thanksgiving.  If it's a ruptured tenon then he probably will need the glove all year and surgery in off season.

I'd give Torrence a few more games. He is my biggest disappointment this season so far. I thought he would elevate to a ProBowl player. Maybe there is a reason he fell in the draft

Rousseau is constantly dinged up. I think he got hurt chasing Tua to the sideline in the Miami game. He came up really slow. He's been nonexistent since.  

They certainly won't use a 4-3 with the corpse of OJ Simpson out there. Morrow looked terrible.  Williams looked so good against the Jags. I don't think he was terrible against Ravens so too soon to tell. Whatever base McD ran in Carolina he doesn't do it anymore.  The base D is the nickel. Most teams do that now. Bills would have been better off playing some crazy 5-2 defense with Von at DE/OLB than that 4-3 they tried to run.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’ll say this. A traditional 4/3 would be a huge difference in run defense. Which is probably why our run defense under this coaching has always been suspect. The only real reason they are good at times is because Allen is Superman and has such a lead that the opponents abandon the run. They are undersized, and always hurt. 

26 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Hand could be broken or ruptured tenon. If it's broken he might be able to go without glove after Thanksgiving.  If it's a ruptured tenon then he probably will need the glove all year and surgery in off season.

I'd give Torrence a few more games. He is my biggest disappointment this season so far. I thought he would elevate to a ProBowl player. Maybe there is a reason he fell in the draft

Rousseau is constantly dinged up. I think he got hurt chasing Tua to the sideline in the Miami game. He came up really slow. He's been nonexistent since.  

They certainly won't use a 4-3 with the corpse of OJ Simpson out there. Morrow looked terrible.  Williams looked so good against the Jags. I don't think he was terrible against Ravens so too soon to tell. Whatever base McD ran in Carolina he doesn't do it anymore.  The base D is the nickel. Most teams do that now. Bills would have been better off playing some crazy 5-2 defense with Von at DE/OLB than that 4-3 they tried to run.

You run a difference defense if you have Luke Kuechly

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’ll say this. A traditional 4/3 would be a huge difference in run defense. Which is probably why our run defense under this coaching has always been suspect. The only real reason they are good at times is because Allen is Superman and has such a lead that the opponents abandon the run. They are undersized, and always hurt. 

Generally our run defense isn't too bad.  But when you run a 4-2 base and are using CBs and safties against Baltimore, it's not the best system.  Between Ricard (fb) and Henry, they were running at us with over 550 lbs.  Henry around 260 and Ricard 310.  DBs are useless against that.

Until McDermott leaves that’s when the Bills will go from their base nickel.

Josh has a strain of some sort.

He doesn’t have a cast or taped fingers when he does his interviews cause he probably feels he can do most things without a splint just football is different. 

Bass has the YIPS he doesn’t have a ton of confidence in himself. He needs to be challenged. 

14 minutes ago, Dafan said:

Generally our run defense isn't too bad.  But when you run a 4-2 base and are using CBs and safties against Baltimore, it's not the best system.  Between Ricard (fb) and Henry, they were running at us with over 550 lbs.  Henry around 260 and Ricard 310.  DBs are useless against that.

Like I said. It’s a knock on the 4-2 base that they run. This is the type of game where they should have had 3LBs on the field. It’s not like anything the Ravens did was a secret. It’s been their gameplan all year. We have no answer to it. The answer is simple, stop the run at all costs and make Lamar beat you with his arm. Here’s a hint, he can’t. Instead we played into their preferred game plan. I’m not really sure how they couldn’t see it. Everyone here could it seems.