Von suspended for 4 games

The Von contract may be the worst in Bills history.  If they cut him next year which I fully expect, and he continues on his current pace, the Bills will have paid him 59 million dollars for 15.5 sacks in three years. 

Arden Key had very similar output for the Titans and Jaguars during that time and he was paid 51 million less. 

59 million dollars for 5 sacks a year, one torn ACL, and one Domestic Violence suspension.  Can anyone think of a worse signing?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Von contract may be the worst in Bills history.  If they cut him next year which I fully expect, and he continues on his current pace, the Bills will have paid him 59 million dollars for 15.5 sacks in three years. 

Arden Key had very similar output for the Titans and Jaguars during that time and he was paid 51 million less. 

59 million dollars for 5 sacks a year, one torn ACL, and one Domestic Violence suspension.  Can anyone think of a worse signing?

He's been terrible.

I hoped and thought all summer he would be off the team after training camp somehow.  

It sucks rooting for losers who beat up their wives/girlfriends.  Just an absurd thing for teams to accept.  

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

the von miller contract will go down very binary.  if he is healthy and in the playoffs gets us some clutch plays that advance us to a chip, then it's 100% worth it.

if he does not, then it was not worth it.

from that perspective, you can throw in the diggs contract extension as worse.  he was a guy on the team, so that's not an FA signing, but he fell off of a cliff late in the season and was a zero post season for the two years he played for us post contract.  we paid what, 80mm (including the dead money this year) for a solid nfl starter over the course of the regular season (lights out to start, meh to the power of meh late) and a zero in the playoffs for two seasons.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, colin said:

the von miller contract will go down very binary.  if he is healthy and in the playoffs gets us some clutch plays that advance us to a chip, then it's 100% worth it.

if he does not, then it was not worth it.

from that perspective, you can throw in the diggs contract extension as worse.  he was a guy on the team, so that's not an FA signing, but he fell off of a cliff late in the season and was a zero post season for the two years he played for us post contract.  we paid what, 80mm (including the dead money this year) for a solid nfl starter over the course of the regular season (lights out to start, meh to the power of meh late) and a zero in the playoffs for two seasons.

That’s actually a very good point.  I’ve defended the Von contract only because the reason it hasn’t worked out has largely been injury.  You can’t necessarily predict when a player blows out his ACL.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He was looking really good before the knee injury but the way it went down I’d agree. I think he had 8 sacks in like 10 games in that season I’ve gotta doublecheck  

obviously the DV suspension is all on him haha can’t blame the injury gods for that one 

can’t remember if we had any interest the year the rams traded for him but the cruel irony of all this is if we grabbed him mid season in 2021 I think we win the Super Bowl.  He was great for the rams and looked just as good for us pre acl injury 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

That’s actually a very good point.  I’ve defended the Von contract only because the reason it hasn’t worked out has largely been injury.  You can’t necessarily predict when a player blows out his ACL.  

Yea this is not a flat bust situation where he underwhelmed with us pre injury.  He was great in the playoffs with the rams and picked up right where he left off with us..  I remember people being very concerned when he was out and our pass rush fell off a cliff if memory serves 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Any truth to this chatter about the Bills trading Von?

Seems like the articles are hypotheticals but usually around this portion of the season there’s something behind close doors to mitigate it being a possibility. Is it just because of his suspension or something else?

https://fansided.com/eagles-rumors-von-miller-amari-cooper-former-eagles-dallas

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/buffalo-bills/von-miller-trade-prediction-eagles/amp/

6 hours ago, Sojourner said:

Any truth to this chatter about the Bills trading Von?

Seems like the articles are hypotheticals but usually around this portion of the season there’s something behind close doors to mitigate it being a possibility. Is it just because of his suspension or something else?

https://fansided.com/eagles-rumors-von-miller-amari-cooper-former-eagles-dallas

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/buffalo-bills/von-miller-trade-prediction-eagles/amp/

Not any more than any other clickbait big name trade suggestion article by a minor publication. The sad part is they float out stuff like this and then people think they're really on the market and it spreads like telephone on Social Media and Message Boards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/10/2024 at 4:39 AM, thenorthremembers said:

TO got $6 million for 5 touchdowns.  How much worse than 6-10 would we have been without him?

7 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Which needed to be taken in account prior to the signing and knowing his age and term. Disaster. 

Yeah, it’s part of it.  Not making a move for an elite pass rusher and everyone complains that we aren’t giving Josh enough to win.  

maybe we should’ve signed chandler jones.  There weren’t a ton of elite rushers to hit the market.  Miller was the only elite other than possibly jones. Reddick was solid but certainly no von miller. He went after the guy with the highest upside and championship pedigree.  Also came with the biggest risk.  But he tried to surround Josh with a loaded team.  He succeeded.  Injuries ruined it

2 hours ago, Andrew Son said:

While true, you didn't find it annoying that with our constant investment in the Dline with high draft picks we still needed to go out and sign Von to $100M to get a difference maker at the position?

It doesn’t matter if it’s annoying or not. What would be more annoying would be to fail and putting together a good pass rush and then giving up on it.  Having a good pass rush coincides with winning super bowls.  Having a poor pass rush usually leaves you in the cold.

I applaud him for trying to add elite talent at the 2nd most important position in the league. Everyone cries about us not having any elite talent. Well, von was elite, he just came with a big risk