Von suspended for 4 games

29 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Maybe there's something I don't understand here, but I don't see how Von taking a very large pay cut is a "terrible decision" by the Bills. As I recall, there was a very large cap hit to cutting him, enough so that it was very unlikely, almost impossible (I would have said that about trading Diggs too, so there's that). He could make up all of that money if he hits sack incentives, I think it maxes out at 15 sacks this year? Hitting that number ultimately would be great for the Bills and for him. With him now suspended for four games, it's even more unlikely that he has any chance of hitting that number of sacks. 

Vons restructure in 2023 wasn’t a paycut. It moved money from base salary to bonus and made him nearly impossible to move on from for another 2 seasons when we should have had an out already. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I believe this is incorrect.  What I understood was that Beane did not rework his deal, Von just flat out took a pay cut without altering his deal in any way moving forward.  It was maybe the biggest deal of the offseason to save cap space this year and not change our ability to get out of his deal next year.  Maybe I am misremembering, but I think this is what really happened.

I wasn’t talking about the most recent adjustment. Von was restructured before the start of the 2023 season. That was dumb. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I wasn’t talking about the most recent adjustment. Von was restructured before the start of the 2023 season. That was dumb. 

Oh, I didn't remember that.  Thanks for clearing that up.  So did that adjustment impact our ability to get out of his deal this year as I have had the impression we still can and no one has suggested back to me otherwise yet when I have talked about that as part of the positive things of this next off season.  So now I am curious to how that impacts him this year

1 hour ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Timing is suspicious. Investigation was concluded and suspension could have been levied to start the year. #NFLScripted 

It would have been better for the NFL to have written out of the script the part where he beats the #### out of his girlfriend...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Timing is suspicious. Investigation was concluded and suspension could have been levied to start the year. #NFLScripted 

I'l don't know if you truly believe in the NFL script. I'd like to think that I don't but I was just thinking today how odd it was that when KC played Baltimore, the Ravens didn't run Henry much at all, Buffalo plays Baltimore and the Bills practically game planned to allow the Ravens tons of space to run. 5.5 yards per average before being touched. I know the 87 yd TD slants that a bit, but still. 

10 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'l don't know if you truly believe in the NFL script. I'd like to think that I don't but I was just thinking today how odd it was that when KC played Baltimore, the Ravens didn't run Henry much at all, Buffalo plays Baltimore and the Bills practically game planned to allow the Ravens tons of space to run. 5.5 yards per average before being touched. I know the 87 yd TD slants that a bit, but still. 

Damn....the Bills D threw that game???  

I need to get a copy of this script (only for betting purposes).

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Haha not exactly what I was saying. It's just crazy how game prep can be so odd. Why not run on KC with Henry. Why not stack the box against him?  At least try. I don't truly believe in the script thing but I for sure can see how people do. Look im Not a black and white guy. There is a lot of gray out there and my ears are open. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Vons restructure in 2023 wasn’t a paycut. It moved money from base salary to bonus and made him nearly impossible to move on from for another 2 seasons when we should have had an out already. 

Im no cap expert but i dont think thats true. Pretty sure he had no requirement to turn salary into incentive based compensation. Yes the 7MM was converted but the 8MM was a pay cut he didnt need to take (unless he hits his incentives)

Mar 06, 2024Converted $7M of 2024 salary into signing bonus & $8.645M more into incentives, freeing $8.645M of cap with Buffalo (BUF)

Edit: NM I see you were talking about 2023 now.

Edited by What a Tuel

55 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Biff Tannan has it in a magazine that he keeps with him at all times. The guy hasn't lost a bet in years! 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TurfToeJam said:

Imagine if bills signed Derrick Henry and Mitch Morse or even a wr1 instead of Von....

Oh sorry.  Daydreaming caught typing out loud.  Yeah I know in hindsight it's 20/20....

Recalling all the board members who laughed at those of us who wanted to sign Henry / said he was an impact player.

Henry and Cook as a 50/50 tandem would have been INCREDIBLE

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I usually don't believe in that crap either and was trying to be funny, BUT, did you see after the game Josh was all giddy when he bro hugged Henry. Almost like he wasn't disappointed because he knew what the result of the game would be. We have seen Josh lose and look like his best friend died. Bills got spanked and he's jolly Josh. Just saying  . . . 

30 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Recalling all the board members who laughed at those of us who wanted to sign Henry / said he was an impact player.

Henry and Cook as a 50/50 tandem would have been INCREDIBLE

When the Titans lost him halfway through the season their running game didn't miss a beat a couple of years ago.  It's still mostly the o-line that makes the running back and that's why the position has become so devalued.  Gabe Davis is making more than Saquon Barkley right now for instance.

3 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Biff Tannan has it in a magazine that he keeps with him at all times. The guy hasn't lost a bet in years! 

The magazine with the stuck together pages?

2 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I usually don't believe in that crap either and was trying to be funny, BUT, did you see after the game Josh was all giddy when he bro hugged Henry. Almost like he wasn't disappointed because he knew what the result of the game would be. We have seen Josh lose and look like his best friend died. Bills got spanked and he's jolly Josh. Just saying  . . . 

Actually I did notice that. Not low positive josh anymore. Man I just want Buffalo to play them again when we're all healthy. I really had hope that we were about to make it a 17-21 game and then who knows what would have happened. 

• Agree 1

On 10/1/2024 at 5:29 PM, Motorin' said:

His base salary is 8.5 million for the year. 8.5/ 17 is .5M. So 4 games is 2M, not 1.5M.

Is he forfeiting 333k per game out of the 500k per game salary? Or in total? 

Apparently $7m of the $8.5m was converted to signing bonus earlier this year.  So he’s getting the remaining $1.5m over the 18 week regular season at $333k per week.  Hence he’s forfeiting that $333k per week for those four weeks.

• Like (+1) 1