Von suspended for 4 games

9 minutes ago, juno999 said:

I believe his guaranteed money has already been paid out.  The Bills can release him after the season but would still have some dead cap due to signing bonus being spread out.  It's nowhere near the dead cap of trading Diggs.  The upcoming draft has some good DEs.  IIRC about 8 DEs have 1st rd grades.  It would be nice to get a good DE on a rookie deal.

He’s basically a net neutral next year. He’s $15M on the roster and $15M off the roster in 2025.

Millers restructure in 2023 was a terrible decision and the reason Von is still on the roster today. Had he not restructured I think he gets cut already. But instead we keep reworking his deal. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ShakAttack said:

Yes. He has been good this season. He has been our most consistent pass rusher, I am pretty sure (sacks in 3 of 4 games played).

When I heard about this news, combined with Shakir possibly playing through a high ankle sprain, I am not liking our chances against the Texans, who are getting players back, in contrast. 

side note…. Has anyone else noticed how EVERY TIME the bills get significant piece(s) back into the lineup, we LOSE an important player around the same time??  We will likely have Taron and/or Bernard back, so we lose Miller.  

He plays a low snap count and only in obvious passing situations. That Bills have forced teams into very obvious passing situations for half the games so far, so I think his effectiveness has been overstated.

• Like (+1) 1

Does Von's suspension by the league this affect the Bills cap?  I would guess his 4 weeks of salary comes off their cap for this year but no clue what the actual rules are.

--- Nope it doesn't help at all - bummer...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/_/year/2024

$15M and it's still all on their cap.

Edited by BobChalmers
New information

5 hours ago, SaulGoodman said:

4's a lot less than 11, and there's a big difference between fistfighting another male and beating a female. 

I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here. If you hit 1 woman it's 4 games, but 24+ is only 11? At what point do those women start to mean less in terms of punitive action? Is there a bulk discount? 

I'm not arguing against the Von's punishment, just that it's completely inconsistent. If anything, I'm saying Watson should be banned for 96+ games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Worst FA signing in Bills history. Dude just runs around the edge 10 times a game. 

put Mack Hollins at DE. He has the size and probably could make as much of an impact there as he does at receiver. 

The homeless version of Travis Hunter?

• Haha (+1) 2

Well, Von ain’t on track for seventeen sacks anymore, 😂

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mango said:

He’s basically a net neutral next year. He’s $15M on the roster and $15M off the roster in 2025.

Millers restructure in 2023 was a terrible decision and the reason Von is still on the roster today. Had he not restructured I think he gets cut already. But instead we keep reworking his deal. 

Maybe there's something I don't understand here, but I don't see how Von taking a very large pay cut is a "terrible decision" by the Bills. As I recall, there was a very large cap hit to cutting him, enough so that it was very unlikely, almost impossible (I would have said that about trading Diggs too, so there's that). He could make up all of that money if he hits sack incentives, I think it maxes out at 15 sacks this year? Hitting that number ultimately would be great for the Bills and for him. With him now suspended for four games, it's even more unlikely that he has any chance of hitting that number of sacks. 

5 hours ago, Mango said:

I believe this is incorrect.  What I understood was that Beane did not rework his deal, Von just flat out took a pay cut without altering his deal in any way moving forward.  It was maybe the biggest deal of the offseason to save cap space this year and not change our ability to get out of his deal next year.  Maybe I am misremembering, but I think this is what really happened.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I believe this is incorrect.  What I understood was that Beane did not rework his deal, Von just flat out took a pay cut without altering his deal in any way moving forward.  It was maybe the biggest deal of the offseason to save cap space this year and not change our ability to get out of his deal next year.  Maybe I am misremembering, but I think this is what really happened.

He made 11 million a tackle last year. He should have been arrested for robbery!!!

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1