Raiders are open to trading Davante Adams

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

We aren't a Super Bowl team with him and at that point you have to then ask, is this the guys we want as our coveted #1 WR or do we wait until the offseason when a lot more possibilities are available? 

I think we might be a SB team w/ an upgrade at WR.  We are certainly more of a contender.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We might not be....but only one way to find out.   Adding a player who draws the attention of a DC and multiple defenders is always a good thing for your offense 

Can really be a big difference 

4 minutes ago, Success said:

I think we might be a SB team w/ an upgrade at WR.  We are certainly more of a contender.

Based on what? We had much better performing defenses under McD prior with horrific postseason results and Brady has never shown he can utilize a #1 WR at the NFL level. He had one last year. You saw what happened. This team is always competitive, but it is not one WR away from the best iteration it has had and it will not get over the hump until it is. 

25 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

disagree.  SB Teams have elite players.  Adams is still elite at what he does.  Currently, we have very few elite players 

There is almost ABSOLUTE ZERO chance of this WR Group prevailing against SF, DET, MIN, Etc in a Super Bowl 

Not to mention... KC 

The one thing Diggs used to have here was a nasty edge.

That is currently missing in the WR room IMO.   Adams plays fiery  

How many elite players does a good NFL team have?  Maybe 3?  KC has Mahomes, Kelce and Chris Jones.  Maybe you can include one of their offensive lineman.  Minnesota is 5-0 and have probably 1 elite player, Justin Jefferson.  Teams don't have a plethora of elite players and go to the SB all the time.  We have one at the most important position, and we have many very good players.

2 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

How many elite players does a good NFL team have?  Maybe 3?  KC has Mahomes, Kelce and Chris Jones.  Maybe you can include one of their offensive lineman.  Minnesota is 5-0 and have probably 1 elite player, Justin Jefferson.  Teams don't have a plethora of elite players and go to the SB all the time.  We have one at the most important position, and we have many very good players.

I agree with this.  Elite coaching seems to be the common denominator among Super Bowl teams.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

disagree.  SB Teams have elite players.  Adams is still elite at what he does.  Currently, we have very few elite players 

In a vacuum, that's fair.

But again, after the past two weeks of getting smashed by both of the only two contenders we've faced, I don't know that even with Adams we're a Super Bowl team. Adams would upgrade our WR core, undoubtedly. But rather than take us from a Contender to a Championship team, it would take us from an underwhelming Offense of talent (outside of QB) to an adequate one.

The other part of it is that people look at an addition like Adams on paper as you're just getting that Superstar level of production he's had from the word go. Adams will have to get the Playbook down midseason while coming off a Hamstring injury. And there's no saying that he and Allen are just going to have chemistry together immediately. I'm willing to bet that Beane thinks that a lot of the woes that we're having with the new WR core is that the chemistry isn't quite there yet. 

All this to say that combined with Beane's MO to begin with, I don't see us giving up a Day 2 Pick and further restructures (if there's any left that he'd feel comfortable doing after all he's done already) for a guy that would more likely than not be a 1 year rental - on a year where our roster isn't more than just competitive even with him to begin with. I think what's happening now is if they can get him for a 4th with them eating 6m or so at the deadline when it's cheapest, he'd do it. I feel like he's just monitoring the situation and hoping they get desperate enough to do a deal that is good for us. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

38 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Based on what? We had much better performing defenses under McD prior with horrific postseason results and Brady has never shown he can utilize a #1 WR at the NFL level. He had one last year. You saw what happened. This team is always competitive, but it is not one WR away from the best iteration it has had and it will not get over the hump until it is. 

I don't think losing by a  missed FG to the eventual SB champion is a "horrific result."  So, there's that.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Success said:

I don't think losing by a  missed FG to the eventual SB champion is a "horrific result."  So, there's that.

We are 1-4 in the divisional round or later. We are below .500 in games decided by 7 points or less. So with less talent than all those previous teams, you expect us to figure it out and sneak by those Chiefs (who only stopped themselves one time last year, by fumbling). Then, after we do that, somehow parlay that win into a multi win run stretch to the promise land.  All if we land a mid 30 year old WR who our OC has never shown an ability to game plan for. Sure, we are just Davante Adams away. How about we aim for that first W against a winning team or maybe something outside the worst passing game in the last 20 years. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ga boy said:

Is tonight’s Bills/Jets game the Devante bowl?  Whoever wins gets him.

Nope. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts Davante's motivation is less about wins, losses, and championships and more about showing out individually to the league. To a point where either the acquiring team values him so much they keep him on the insane number he's on the next two seasons or let's him go and he's coming off still looking like that dude when he hits the open market.

If he cared about wins and losses, he wouldn't want to go to the Jets and Saints to begin with. He wants to go there because he's got built in chemistry with Rodgers and Carr and thinks that will make him look best immediately.

Edit: *Maybe* to the extent of the winning team will pursue him harder bc they'll be first in the Division and will want more firepower to compete. But I feel like if the Jets were serious about competing, they wouldn't have fired their coach.

And from our end, if we win and look good, we'll be 4-2 with a two game lead on the division and I could see a scenario where Beane thinks we're in good shape and doesn't panic.

If we lose, fall to 3-3, and give up first in the Division to the Jets - I could see a scenario where he views adding Adams as a bandaid on a gaping wound.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

We are 1-4 in the divisional round or later. We are below .500 in games decided by 7 points or less. So with less talent than all those previous teams, you expect us to figure it out and sneak by those Chiefs (who only stopped themselves one time last year, by fumbling). Then, after we do that, somehow parlay that win into a multi win run stretch to the promise land.  All if we land a mid 30 year old WR who our OC has never shown an ability to game plan for. Sure, we are just Davante Adams away. How about we aim for that first W against a winning team or maybe something outside the worst passing game in the last 20 years. 

Being 1-4 in the divisional round or later doesn't really have any bearing on playoff games this year.

1 minute ago, BufBills83 said:

Being 1-4 in the divisional round or later doesn't really have any bearing on playoff games this year.

Nor does being under .500 in games decided by 7 points or multiple year defensive implosions. If you want to believe the past events happened in a vacuum and are not symptoms of a bigger problem, that's up to you. I would bet everything I have that isn't the case. 

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

Nor does being under .500 in games decided by 7 points or multiple year defensive implosions. If you want to believe the past events happened in a vacuum and are not symptoms of a bigger problem, that's up to you. I would bet everything I have that isn't the case. 

Then you're assuming that nobody learns from past games and that the same decisions and situations will happen in every game, which just isn't true.

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Josh.

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We might not be....but only one way to find out.   Adding a player who draws the attention of a DC and multiple defenders is always a good thing for your offense 

Can really be a big difference 

$55 million over 2 years for a guy who is 32 and may be our next Von albatross….No thanks. Especially when Amari Cooper would basically be a vet minimum and has a bunch of recent 1,000 yard seasons. 

10 minutes ago, Locomark said:

$55 million over 2 years for a guy who is 32 and may be our next Von albatross….No thanks. Especially when Amari Cooper would basically be a vet minimum and has a bunch of recent 1,000 yard seasons. 

It would (or should as long as he isn't extended) be a 1-year rental. There is no guaranteed money due after this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1