Raiders are open to trading Davante Adams

HappyDays

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Someone needs to explain why Adams would be a better pick up than Amari Cooper, who is younger, cheaper, had comparable stats last year, and could probably be had for a fourth round pick.

Soft, hands of stone, and has no heart

Adams played in Lambeau for years and was the best wideout in the league when he was there before getting dealt for two first rounders

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Soft, hands of stone, and has no heart

Adams played in Lambeau for years and was the best wideout in the league when he was there before getting dealt for two first rounders

And yet soft, hands of stone guy somehow amassed 1250 yards receiving last year (on 17.5 yards per catch) playing out of doors on the shores of Lake Erie for the offensively challenged Cleveland Browns...

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

And yet soft, hands of stone guy somehow amassed 1250 yards receiving last year (on 17.5 yards per catch) playing out of doors on the shores of Lake Erie for the offensively challenged Cleveland Browns...

He shows up on occasion and fools some people into thinking he's a better player than he really is. Maybe that's why he's so inconsistent (effort issues)

And the Browns this year are offensively challenged and he's not lighting it up out there, is he?

I've paid plenty of attention to the NFL and have seen plenty of Amari Cooper, and I will stand by my opinion of him...gives effort when he wants, shaky hands, and lacks toughness.

Davante Adams is superior to Cooper in every facet. Cooper would likely disappoint Bills fans when it matters most, and I for one have seen enough of those guys

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

He shows up on occasion and fools some people into thinking he's a better player than he really is. Maybe that's why he's so inconsistent (effort issues)

And the Browns this year are offensively challenged and he's not lighting it up out there, is he?

I've paid plenty of attention to the NFL and have seen plenty of Amari Cooper, and I will stand by my opinion of him...gives effort when he wants, shaky hands, and lacks toughness.

Davante Adams is superior to Cooper in every facet. Cooper would likely disappoint Bills fans when it matters most, and I for one have seen enough of those guys

Ok, we’ll go with your eyeball test.  Go take a look at their career stats, though…They are almost the same player, and Cooper is two years younger.

13 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson couldn't save Watson. He is finished. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Look at his weekly game log...his whole career is the same...couple monster games where he gets like 25% of years total production in those couple games then lots of game of meh or full out disappearing.  It is similar the same patter Davis had here...and like Davis, maybe even more than Davis, he drops a lot more balls than people think.

Adams is a superior player.  BUT...doesn't mean Cooper doesn't upgrade the offense, because he would still be an upgrade.  But you are asking why many prefer Adams, and that is why.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, mannc said:

Ok, we’ll go with your eyeball test.  Go take a look at their career stats, though…They are almost the same player, and Cooper is two years younger.

Cooper has been in the league 10 yrs, and has 687 catches for 9,694 yards (14.1 Y/R) and 62 TDs.  He turned 30

in June.

Adams has been in the league 11 yrs, and has 890 catches for 10,990 yards (12.3 Y/R) and 96 TDs.  He turns 32 this December, so a year and a half older than Cooper.

I really don’t value the age gap to matter much at all, since both players would likely be one year rentals anyway.  But, Davante has way more catches and TDs than Cooper throughout his career.  Maybe that suggests he’d help us move the sticks more effectively and be a more dangerous red zone target too?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

They could have just, ya know, drafted him.  

I fully understand people wanting to add talent to this team, but I want no parts of Devante Adams.  

He's going to cost a ton, is the quintessential diva WR and he's 32.  Adding him to this current roster does not propel the Bills to Super Bowl status, in my eyes.  

Almost the equivalent of the Von signing, although I can forsee slightly better results.

Yes... these are basically my thoughts as well. He's a good wide receiver, but he's 32 years old and we'd have to give up a lot to get him, plus take on a huge cap number even if restructured assuming we kept him for a few years and it would probably end up as another colossal mistake like Von Miller, which I said right when he was drafted here on this board... yet most everybody was screaming and yelling how great it was to get Von Miller. That was a monumental mistake and it cost us immensely; 120 million in cap space, he's done basically nothing since he's been here and has strapped our ability to do other things on the offense that are needed. 

What Beane should have done in this last draft is draft another young fast wide receiver after he drafted Coleman (who's big and slow), which wasn't my top pick to begin with, but per usual, he didn't when there were still a lot of great options into the 3rd & even 4th round. This was the year to grab a couple top wide receivers because the draft was full of talent in that area. There were many fast and quality wide receivers still on the board (and we need outside speed at the position and have needed that for years) that we could have gotten after Coleman into the next couple rounds. However, unfortunately per usual with Beane, he drafted a collection of middling players that probably won't amount to much or move the needle on defense with McDermott I'm sure forcing him and pulling the strings in that area like he's done every year. I don't think that we need 20 defensive linemen in rotation every few plays throughout every game (and none of the ones that we've constantly overdrafted have been game changers)!

Beane has been good in the third and fourth rounds generally on the defensive side, but it's a crime that he has not gotten multiple young high quality receiving weapons for Josh since the beginning. He's had plenty of chances and he passed up on Metcalf as well (a huge miss and he instead drafted an offensive lineman, which was a big bust & we all know who that was). It wasn't like you had to be an absolute guru to realize that Metcalf was probably a better pick, especially considering the value in the round where he was still available coupled with our needs at the position that year like almost every year since we've gotten Josh.

Most of us know that the Bill's need more high quality fast wide receivers, but Beane should have been doing that for years via the draft and taking shots every year for the last 7 years in the spring using our first and/or 2nd rounders until he got it right and we had two premier wide receivers like many great offenses and teams do currently.

He's done nothing in that department really except the Diggs trade and a few mid round middling receivers that didn't or haven't amounted to much (meaning they haven't moved the needle and it's not enough for what Josh and the offense has needed for years). He grabs a collection of misfits & nobody's on the cheap every year in free agency to add in that area and assumes it's going to fill the obvious wide receiver void and be enough because he's overspent and made some poor decisions spending money on other signings.

Regarding Brady, I'm not sold on him either as the offensive coordinator, but time will tell. And for the life of me, I don't understand how Samuel is not being used basically at all, he's a ghost. He's had like five catches this year. It's ridiculous that Brady all of a sudden seems to have forgotten how to use him or even use him as a normal wide receiver!!! And MVS should have a few nice catches a game at the very least, yet he doesn't seem to know how to use him either.

We obviously need to do something at the wide receiver position asap, but it's probably too late this year and we should have never been in this position to begin with because most people that follow the Bill's closely could have seen this coming a mile away. If we did anything mid-year, I would probably prefer Amari Cooper who's younger, faster and has had great production (in certain years, his production has been better than Davante Adams), plus he wouldn't nearly cost us as much.

Always chasing a big name that's past his prime every year and giving up a lot to get him because you failed to address the situation previously or in the draft where you pay way too much is not prudent.

Rant off...!

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Cooper has been in the league 10 yrs, and has 687 catches for 9,694 yards (14.1 Y/R) and 62 TDs.  He turned 30

in June.

Adams has been in the league 11 yrs, and has 890 catches for 10,990 yards (12.3 Y/R) and 96 TDs.  He turns 32 this December, so a year and a half older than Cooper.

I really don’t value the age gap to matter much at all, since both players would likely be one year rentals anyway.  But, Davante has way more catches and TDs than Cooper throughout his career.  Maybe that suggests he’d help us move the sticks more effectively and be a more dangerous red zone target too?

I’m not saying Cooper is better than Adams or that Adam’s wouldn’t have a bigger impact this year. I’m saying that the difference between the two has been greatly exaggerated, and that Cooper is a more desirable trade target because of his contract and his (likely) much lower asking price.

26 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’m not saying Cooper is better than Adams or that Adam’s wouldn’t have a bigger impact this year. I’m saying that the difference between the two has been greatly exaggerated, and that Cooper is a more desirable trade target because of his contract and his (likely) much lower asking price.

The more palatable contract for Cooper alone also means the buyer pool can be larger as well, which can actually drive up the asking price on Cooper.  Because of Adam’s’ contract, the pool of buyers for the Raiders is certainly smaller, unless either they eat some money and/or Adams is willing to re-work his deal.  We know that the Raiders want to trade Adams and supposedly for a 2nd in return.  We have no idea whether the Browns are actually selling yet, and if so, what they would want for Cooper.  So if the Bills would be happy with either but can land Adams now for what they think is a fair deal, they should take the bird in the hand.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

With all the talk about Cooper, do we even know that he's an option or is it more like "hey that dude in that team is cheap, let's make an offer" all while it's not even anything the Bills are looking into (for all we know)?

Cooper will go somewhere. The Browns are circling the drain and they just paid Juedy to be the future. Now, he'll probably go to KC after Adams goes to the Jets. 

12 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Maybe I’m missing it, but I don’t see where Davante is actually following Josh on his twitter.

Instagram

Was at 469 for a few days and bumped up to 470 today.  That follow was Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2