Raiders are open to trading Davante Adams

HappyDays

24 minutes ago, JP51 said:

I am sorry, I just dont see either I still think that we are in a reset and will play this year out... although I did hear we called about Adams just to gauge the price. But how the heck do we fit him under the cap and not mortgage the future undoing all of the tough cuts we made this year.  Geez what if players get injured and we have to sign people... I just cant see it... 

This seems like the most likely outcome here.  It doesn’t hurt for the Jets to think we are potentially in the mix, as it will hopefully drive their price up.  But it’s hard to see how we could make a deal with the Raiders that will actually work for both sides.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good, just more coming from the perspective that the vast majority of players we are allegedly in on we find out later was never true.  

And yeah, I just don’t think Beane is gonna throw away a premium pick in first 4 rounds for a half year rental unless he believes that one player could put us over the top for a SB.  And coming off the Ravens game, pretty hard to say what this team is or isn’t as the whole team and coaches all had a bad week.  

But just my 2 cents based on how Beane covets his picks and what he’s stated this offseason.  But, I also wouldn’t be surprised if Beane made a move, he’s proven to me to be aggressive when he wants to make a move.  But if he does make a move now, I think it’s because he really believes it could put us over the top this season.  

I think that the last part is key. I don’t think that he will rush to do something if he doesn’t think that they can win this year. My honest opinion, is that he didn’t believe that this was a Super Bowl roster prior to the start of the year. 4 games in and the league looks worse, at the top, than it has in a bunch of years. He may now be saying, “if things fall right, we are capable of winning it all.” 

If he doesn’t believe that he swings on the number 1 in the offseason whether it’s a trade, draft or FA. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

This seems like the most likely outcome here.  It doesn’t hurt for the Jets to think we are potentially in the mix, as it will hopefully drive their price up.  But it’s hard to see how we could make a deal with the Raiders that will actually work for both sides.

I actually never thought of the Jets point... which I think is absolutely practical... and I 100% support us driving up the price for the Jets or Chiefs or whom ever in our Conference/Division wants him.... LOL

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

It is extremely concerning that this organization, with all the plaudits they receive, did not have a plan about what to do with Diggs coming out of their off-season review.  They waffled on the issue, then Beane (as @Kirby Jackson noted) was seemingly reassured that their WR group would work.  Only slight disagreement I have is that they signed Quintez Cephus and MVS both after they draft so they still had concerns.  In that way I agree, they were looking for "lightning in a bottle" with additional bargain bin signings.  

WR is just not a priority for them in the off-season...and then perhaps 4 games in it is now?  Makes me further their commitment to "complementary football."

This is kind of what I was saying above. The “it is now” might be coming from the fact that the league feels more open than most probably thought before the start of the year. The “dominant” teams aren’t as dominant as most thought at this point.

49 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's a great post Kirby, the quoted part is the only part I slightly disagree with. I am not one that thought the Bills should take the most pro ready WR in the draft. You have to use your top draft pick for with next five seasons in mind, not just the upcoming season. I really liked Keon Coleman in the context of that philosophy and I still do. I'm seeing what I wanted to so far - a WR that's open even when he's covered. His drop deep down the sideline was tragic but even there you can see the skills that make him such a good WR prospect for Josh Allen to have, he just needs to lock in the ball next time and not get greedy thinking about the endzone. His two back shoulder catches along the sideline in tight man coverage should be a staple of our offense, especially if defenses are going to dare us to throw the ball outside. But it's going to take him time to fully develop his skillset and learn the nuances of the position.

Coleman was never a ready from day one prospect. So while I'm fine with taking somewhat of a project with their first pick, obviously I'm not satisfied with how they handled the room overall, and really that starts with how they've handled it since 2021. They've shown a shocking lack of urgency which continued this offseason.

My biggest disappointment actually is Curtis Samuel. I know some think the Bills haven't figured out the right way to use him, but personally I think he just hasn't been as good as they hoped. Maybe it's the turf toe. He hasn't looked as explosive as promised and he isn't separating. It almost reminds me of Deonte Harty but with a much larger contract. Hopefully it is just a lingering injury holding him back.

Unfortunately, I think that this is more of who Curtis Samuel is than who the fans hoped they were getting. He’s not a technician or really a boundary receiver at all. He’s a gadget guy that is pretty explosive. At Ohio State he was a great playmaker and they used him all over. That’s what I hoped that they’d do here. To me, it feels like his touches have been SO predictable that it’s been hard for him to find space. He should be a rich man’s McKenzie or a poor man’s Deebo. He has been a little underwhelming but I still chalk most of it to their inability to get him into space.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is kind of what I was saying above. The “it is now” might be coming from the fact that the league feels more open than most probably thought before the start of the year. The “dominant” teams aren’t as dominant as most thought at this point.

Unfortunately, I think that this is more of who Curtis Samuel is than who the fans hoped they were getting. He’s not a technician or really a boundary receiver at all. He’s a gadget guy that is pretty explosive. At Ohio State he was a great playmaker and they used him all over. That’s what I hoped that they’d do here. To me, it feels like his touches have been SO predictable that it’s been hard for him to find space. He should be a rich man’s McKenzie or a poor man’s Deebo. He has been a little underwhelming but I still chalk most of it to their inability to get him into space.

I have been banging the drum on improving the WR room for years now.

I have thought about Adams more, and I think I like the other options that are likely available a little bit better.

My reasoning is that Adams will likely be the most expensive, as he's the best.

That wouldn't matter in a general trade because you are paying for the talent. However, there is the question of "can we take full advantage of Adams midway through the season, learning the playbook, building chemistry with Josh etc?"

We aren't going to trade for Adams midseason and have him producing at a 1300 yard season pace on day 1. Will he work his way up to be at his peak with Josh by the postseason?  Maybe.

OBJ is the last big midseason receiver move I can think of. He put up 38 YPG in the regular season and then went off in the playoffs. Is a second round pick worth that?  I guess if we win a SB it is. Could Amari Cooper have that same impact for a 3rd or 4th?  I think so.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that the last part is key. I don’t think that he will rush to do something if he doesn’t think that they can win this year. My honest opinion, is that he didn’t believe that this was a Super Bowl roster prior to the start of the year. 4 games in and the league looks worse, at the top, than it has in a bunch of years. He may now be saying, “if things fall right, we are capable of winning it all.” 

If he doesn’t believe that he swings on the number 1 in the offseason whether it’s a trade, draft or FA. 

Earlier I listened to Devin McCourty on PFT talking about the consequences of the Jets going after Adams. It seems to me that the only way that works is if they trade Garrett Wilson for him because a) Adams would be taking Wilson's position and b) combined with Lazard, it'd be a Rodgers gang. Plus they have Mike Williams, who has looked increasingly explosive over the last couple of games. Wilson is also publicly complaining about the offensive design (which is basically Rodgers's design), so there's that to figure in. It's a really weird situation in that Wilson could end up being the third/fourth guy on that unit despite his immense talent. It'd be crazy to trade him, but I can see the Raiders demanding him and maybe even getting him. Plus he has a ton of trade value given his age and rookie contract. https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/if-davante-adams-goes-to-jets-is-garrett-wilson-the-odd-man-out  

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1

21 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Beane should be thinking the Bills can win this year.  But I am hoping this doesn't require Beane to rush into anything - this should have been thought out a long time in advance - probably back when they let Diggs go. But IMO it doesn't/shouldn't just be a win this year thing -which IMO eliminates D Adams.

Getting DHop at under half his $13M salary for the remaining portion of this year and adding on 2025 at a G Davis type rate of around $13M would be a solid move for the near term and mid term.  As it stands right now, WR is not just a problem this year.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Special K said:

I wanted Budda Baker back when he was in the draft.....him and Bishop together would be a formidable Safety duo for the next 3-5 years if a contract extension could be worked out.

It would be….but how much are you ok paying a safety a year after using a huge resource (2nd rd pick) on Cole Bishop.  I don’t want to dedicate that much to the position tbh.  In theory, they could be a dynamic pairing that could help our D become elite….but I’d rather use the draft picks and cap space elsewhere. I think Brant will agree, but who knows with McD

Shakir missing Sunday is going to end up getting us to the Super Bowl.  

Build that offense!

Bc no matter what we do, injuries are going to kill this defense.  It’s inevitable 

Edited by Big Blitz

12 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Build that offense!

Bc no matter what we do injuries are going to kill this defense.  It’s inevitable 

Yikes, that’s an ugly injury report

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree with all this

Edited by Alphadawg7

16 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Huh?  This a typo?  Otherwise how does Shakir missing a game get us to the Super Bowl?  If he even misses the game

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  This a typo?  Otherwise how does Shakir missing a game get us to the Super Bowl?  If he even misses the game

He's got a conspiracy theory that if Shakir misses the game and the Bills passing game struggles it will be the spark for Beane to trade for a premier WR like Adams.  We then win the Super Bowl because of a Shakir ankle injury.  Totally normal thinking.

• Haha (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's got a conspiracy theory that if Shakir misses the game and the Bills passing game struggles it will be the spark for Beane to trade for a premier WR like Adams.  We then win the Super Bowl because of a Shakir ankle injury.  Totally normal thinking.

^^^

Exactly.  

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I'm tired of (this is not directed at you AD) this mentality.  As @Coach Tuesday already stated, offense including WR takes a backseat like the kid who isn't mom and dad's favorite.  They can always address the offense...in the future.  

Teams have to make a decision about what their identity will be, which should be easy when you have a veritable top QB.  I hear people on TSW all the time reference the Coleman and Kincaid picks as evidence they're serious about offense, but that's the kind of the price of admission for being in the NFL with a strong or better QB.  They don't talk about how, after drafting Josh in 2018 they used 6 of their next RD1/2 picks on defense...and the offensive picks were on Diggs, Cody Ford, and Cook.  That isn't going to get it done in this era.  It's how you end up with WR6 Mack Hollins getting the 2nd most snaps on the team.    

They are extremely poor at being stewards of Josh's talents.  See my response above re: Josh...it's gonna happen without some serious changes.  

I get your frustration, but its not a mentality, its just the reality.  Facts are we have $31m in Dead money to a WR not on the roster.  That was a move they felt was in the best interest of the long term direction of the team.  Beane had not planned on Diggs being traded this year when we extended him and then reworked his deal.  But things changed and he pivoted.  It is what it is.  

This was a offseason we had to shed a lot to fix the cap issue as quick as possible so they could keep investing in everything around Josh and not have to keep bargain shop as much on both sides of the ball to fill holes and depth. 

More importantly, this notion that the only way to invest in Josh's success is only via WR is flawed.  They have invested in weapons, the OL and the run game to all support Josh.  Biggest issue when Daboll was here was the OL and not being able to effectively run the ball.  Everyone here and around the NFL kept saying it can't all be on Josh, he needs a run game.  And since Brady took over and we finally could effectively run the ball, we are 12-3 and averaging 10 points more per game than Dorseys final 6 games here of force feeding Diggs.  Allen just had his best 3 game stretch of his career to start the season.  

But by no means does that mean Beane is also done either.  But investments to get Kincaid, build up the OL, get Cook, and Coleman are all for Josh's benefit.  

Keep in mind, over the last 3 drafts we have had 6 picks in the first 2 rounds, and 4 of them were help for Josh via TE, WR, OL, and RB.  Over the past 5 drafts, our first pick in the draft was used on an offensive weapon 3 of those 5 picks.  And every one of those picks are starting on this team right now except Diggs who was traded but still on our books 

Edited by Alphadawg7