Raiders are open to trading Davante Adams

HappyDays

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Would be very Buffalo Bills to trade for Buddha Baker to save the S room instead of WR.

I will say this -- Baker is a very good player, and it's a real need. He's a huge upgrade and 100 days from turning 29, so not too old yet.  Other teams looking to put themselves over the top will want him too, though. That said, is AZ giving up on the season THIS early? Granted, their next two games are at SF and GB, so they could well be 1-5.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It is extremely concerning that this organization, with all the plaudits they receive, did not have a plan about what to do with Diggs coming out of their off-season review.  They waffled on the issue, then Beane (as @Kirby Jackson noted) was seemingly reassured that their WR group would work.  Only slight disagreement I have is that they signed Quintez Cephus and MVS both after they draft so they still had concerns.  In that way I agree, they were looking for "lightning in a bottle" with additional bargain bin signings.  

WR is just not a priority for them in the off-season...and then perhaps 4 games in it is now?  Makes me further their commitment to "complementary football."

its probably not viewed as a priority but rather  position group that can still be improved.

your exact end to the post of “complimentary football” is where this team is always going to be. keeps josh healthier for longer and he’s also deadly on PA. 

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Would be very Buffalo Bills to trade for Buddha Baker to save the S room instead of WR.

I get where you are coming from, and normally I wouldn't disagree with this as I have advocated hard in the past for a WR, even to go get Adams the past 2 seasons.  I badly wanted to see someone else opposite Diggs than Davis.

But I do think you underestimate just how good Baker is and how important Safety is to this defense.  And after watching the Ravens game, I would be pretty stoked to see him in a Bills uniform, not to mention he is one of my favorite Non-Bills players around the league.  Not saying we will or should go Safety over WR, but Baker unquestionably would be a significant upgrade to our secondary.

Wonder if there is a way they could add both Baker and one of the WR's that are being most discussed here (Adams, Hopkins, Cooper).  Off the top of the head feels impossible from a cap perspective, but then again, thats above my pay grade and for Beane to figure out lol

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get where you are coming from, and normally I wouldn't disagree with this as I have advocated hard in the past for a WR, even to go get Adams the past 2 seasons.  I badly wanted to see someone else opposite Diggs than Davis.

But I do think you underestimate just how good Baker is and how important Safety is to this defense.  And after watching the Ravens game, I would be pretty stoked to see him in a Bills uniform, not to mention he is one of my favorite Non-Bills players around the league.  Not saying we will or should go Safety over WR, but Baker unquestionably would be a significant upgrade to our secondary.

Wonder if there is a way they could add both Baker and one of the WR's that are being most discussed here (Adams, Hopkins, Cooper).  Off the top of the head feels impossible from a cap perspective, but then again, thats above my pay grade and for Beane to figure out lol

Personally, I don't think its congruous to not be worried about if our WRs are up to snuff because of the first 3 games, but also worried about our safeties despite the first 3 games.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sojourner said:

Not giving up much for Budda tbh as he’s a FA next year and is playing on the club option because a contract extension couldn’t be worked out prior.

He's 28, and if he's a fit next to bishop you can afford to pay him since bishop is on a rookie deal for 3 more years.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

It is extremely concerning that this organization, with all the plaudits they receive, did not have a plan about what to do with Diggs coming out of their off-season review.  They waffled on the issue, then Beane (as @Kirby Jackson noted) was seemingly reassured that their WR group would work.  Only slight disagreement I have is that they signed Quintez Cephus and MVS both after they draft so they still had concerns.  In that way I agree, they were looking for "lightning in a bottle" with additional bargain bin signings.  

WR is just not a priority for them in the off-season...and then perhaps 4 games in it is now?  Makes me further their commitment to "complementary football."

They almost always talk themselves into waiting until next year to address WR.  The Diggs situation was brewing back in 2022 and they let it fester (and extended/restructured him) without proactively looking for potential replacements.  I just cannot fathom what Beane was thinking there.  Then they traded Diggs, took a huge cap hit this year, and squandered a wide receiver-heavy draft by trading down twice and taking only one receiver.  Now, of course, they are scrambling to figure out the position.  It's just organizational negligence to the extreme.  They are lucky Josh's character and personality are of the "don't rock the boat" type because they've set things up such that Josh has to play almost flawlessly every week for them to have a shot.  Insane.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

We had a lot of holes to fill this year, you can't fix it all in one off-season, especially when you have cap constraints like having an additional $31M dead cap invested into the WR position to make moving on from Diggs possible.  Meanwhile, Beane had just invested a first to bring Kincaid in the year before to be a weapon along side a TE they had just extended the year before to run more 12 personnel.  Then they had Shakir emerging, signed Samuel, and used their first pick in the draft on a WR.  But at no point has Beane ever once even suggested he is done.  

There is no doubt Beane and the Bills will 100% be investing more into the WR position again this offseason, and if he thinks this team can get over the top this year, he may make a move before the deadline if the right deal is there.  

• Vomit 1

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Personally, I don't think its congruous to not be worried about if our WRs are up to snuff because of the first 3 games, but also worried about our safeties despite the first 3 games.

Personally I think there is no question before the season began that our Safeties were in worse shape than the overall collection of weapons for Allen on the offense.  Especially given the importance of the position to McD's defense and veteran experience we lost with both Hyde and Poyer leaving.  Don't get me wrong, it was time to move on, but I don't think anyone expected us to "get better" with Rapp, Edwards, Hamlin, and a rookie who missed a lot of camp from an injury.  

And in the Ravens game, the defense and especially the safeties were particularly bad.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills, imo, didn’t have the luxury of a project for this group. That group from a few years ago that you referenced could have take ln a shot on a project.

It's a great post Kirby, the quoted part is the only part I slightly disagree with. I am not one that thought the Bills should take the most pro ready WR in the draft. You have to use your top draft pick for with next five seasons in mind, not just the upcoming season. I really liked Keon Coleman in the context of that philosophy and I still do. I'm seeing what I wanted to so far - a WR that's open even when he's covered. His drop deep down the sideline was tragic but even there you can see the skills that make him such a good WR prospect for Josh Allen to have, he just needs to lock in the ball next time and not get greedy thinking about the endzone. His two back shoulder catches along the sideline in tight man coverage should be a staple of our offense, especially if defenses are going to dare us to throw the ball outside. But it's going to take him time to fully develop his skillset and learn the nuances of the position.

Coleman was never a ready from day one prospect. So while I'm fine with taking somewhat of a project with their first pick, obviously I'm not satisfied with how they handled the room overall, and really that starts with how they've handled it since 2021. They've shown a shocking lack of urgency which continued this offseason.

My biggest disappointment actually is Curtis Samuel. I know some think the Bills haven't figured out the right way to use him, but personally I think he just hasn't been as good as they hoped. Maybe it's the turf toe. He hasn't looked as explosive as promised and he isn't separating. It almost reminds me of Deonte Harty but with a much larger contract. Hopefully it is just a lingering injury holding him back.

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

he traded a first round pick+ for stefon diggs

he traded a third rounder+ for kelvin benjamin ffs

why pretend he isnt willing to trade picks for wideouts

Where did I say he wasn't?  You said TSW never wants to give up picks, and I said no, people are always more or less willing to trade all the time.  See the plethora of the threads every time any name anyone knows is rumored to be available.  

Beane on the other hand is both aggressive and yet protective of his picks.  He won't just throw picks away on half year rentals unless he is fully of the belief that trade puts us at the top of the heap to compete to win it all.  I have repeatedly said Beane has proven he is aggressive when he sees a move he feels is the right move for the team or moves the needle.  So he isn't afraid to move up in the draft or get a player long term like he did Diggs in his prime.  

But you are talking about old WR's who are likely short term rentals.  Not a chance he gives up any picks for one unless he fully believes that the move puts Bills at the forefront of competing THIS year for a Super Bowl.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It's a great post Kirby, the quoted part is the only part I slightly disagree with. I am not one that thought the Bills should take the most pro ready WR in the draft. You have to use your top draft pick for with next five seasons in mind, not just the upcoming season. I really liked Keon Coleman in the context of that philosophy and I still do. I'm seeing what I wanted to so far - a WR that's open even when he's covered. His drop deep down the sideline was tragic but even there you can see the skills that make him such a good WR prospect for Josh Allen to have, he just needs to lock in the ball next time and not get greedy thinking about the endzone. His two back shoulder catches along the sideline in tight man coverage should be a staple of our offense, especially if defenses are going to dare us to throw the ball outside. But it's going to take him time to fully develop his skillset and learn the nuances of the position.

Coleman was never a ready from day one prospect. So while I'm fine with taking somewhat of a project with their first pick, obviously I'm not satisfied with how they handled the room overall, and really that starts with how they've handled it since 2021. They've shown a shocking lack of urgency which continued this offseason.

My biggest disappointment actually is Curtis Samuel. I know some think the Bills haven't figured out the right way to use him, but personally I think he just hasn't been as good as they hoped. Maybe it's the turf toe. He hasn't looked as explosive as promised and he isn't separating. It almost reminds me of Deonte Harty but with a much larger contract. Hopefully it is just a lingering injury holding him back.

But they could and should have taken TWO, one high ceiling project (Keon) and one more pro ready.  Did they really need Dewayne Washington or another special teams linebacker or Dequan Hardy?  They always have their reasons why next year is the year to beef up the offense - always.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Maybe Knox could be part of that which would help with cap.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Where did I say he wasn't?  You said TSW never wants to give up picks, and I said no, people are always more or less willing to trade all the time.  See the plethora of the threads every time any name anyone knows is rumored to be available.  

Beane on the other hand is both aggressive and yet protective of his picks.  He won't just throw picks away on half year rentals unless he is fully of the belief that trade puts us at the top of the heap to compete to win it all.  I have repeatedly said Beane has proven he is aggressive when he sees a move he feels is the right move for the team or moves the needle.  So he isn't afraid to move up in the draft or get a player long term like he did Diggs in his prime.  

But you are talking about old WR's who are likely short term rentals.  Not a chance he gives up any picks for one unless he fully believes that the move puts Bills at the forefront of competing THIS year for a Super Bowl.  

right here

29 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He's 28, and if he's a fit next to bishop you can afford to pay him since bishop is on a rookie deal for 3 more years.  

that 2020 year was a masterpiece by him. dude was on par with Polamalu/Leroy Butler/Woodson for the strong safety position. 

His stats went down last year but that’s only due to him missing 5 games. 

I am sorry, I just dont see either I still think that we are in a reset and will play this year out... although I did hear we called about Adams just to gauge the price. But how the heck do we fit him under the cap and not mortgage the future undoing all of the tough cuts we made this year.  Geez what if players get injured and we have to sign people... I just cant see it... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

mike knows the deal.

I wanted Budda Baker back when he was in the draft.....him and Bishop together would be a formidable Safety duo for the next 3-5 years if a contract extension could be worked out.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They almost always talk themselves into waiting until next year to address WR.  The Diggs situation was brewing back in 2022 and they let it fester (and extended/restructured him) without proactively looking for potential replacements.  I just cannot fathom what Beane was thinking there.  Then they traded Diggs, took a huge cap hit this year, and squandered a wide receiver-heavy draft by trading down twice and taking only one receiver.  Now, of course, they are scrambling to figure out the position.  It's just organizational negligence to the extreme.  They are lucky Josh's character and personality are of the "don't rock the boat" type because they've set things up such that Josh has to play almost flawlessly every week for them to have a shot.  Insane.

And unless they commit to being an elite offense at some point Josh is gonna say I'm through with this.  JA's been playing the good soldier and not been difficult, but the conditions he's playing under are sub-optimal.  Not ideal for someone who knows what they can do in the NFL.   

36 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We had a lot of holes to fill this year, you can't fix it all in one off-season, especially when you have cap constraints like having an additional $31M dead cap invested into the WR position to make moving on from Diggs possible.  Meanwhile, Beane had just invested a first to bring Kincaid in the year before to be a weapon along side a TE they had just extended the year before to run more 12 personnel.  Then they had Shakir emerging, signed Samuel, and used their first pick in the draft on a WR.  But at no point has Beane ever once even suggested he is done.  

There is no doubt Beane and the Bills will 100% be investing more into the WR position again this offseason, and if he thinks this team can get over the top this year, he may make a move before the deadline if the right deal is there.  

I'm tired of (this is not directed at you AD) this mentality.  As @Coach Tuesday already stated, offense including WR takes a backseat like the kid who isn't mom and dad's favorite.  They can always address the offense...in the future.  

Teams have to make a decision about what their identity will be, which should be easy when you have a veritable top QB.  I hear people on TSW all the time reference the Coleman and Kincaid picks as evidence they're serious about offense, but that's the kind of the price of admission for being in the NFL with a strong or better QB.  They don't talk about how, after drafting Josh in 2018 they used 6 of their next RD1/2 picks on defense...and the offensive picks were on Diggs, Cody Ford, and Cook.  That isn't going to get it done in this era.  It's how you end up with WR6 Mack Hollins getting the 2nd most snaps on the team.    

They are extremely poor at being stewards of Josh's talents.  See my response above re: Josh...it's gonna happen without some serious changes.  

• Like (+1) 2