Raiders are open to trading Davante Adams

HappyDays

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

4 seasons is wishful thinking. Young and talented player is also wishful thinking.

Yes, that 2nd might be a great young player. He also might be Boogie Basham or Cody Ford. It's a no-brainer for a 2, imo.

well i disagree. A 2 is to be used as a team building block and not a throwaway on a diva who agreed to a record contract to get his money but now wants out because he is sad they are losing.  He knew who the Raiders were when he signed there no matter what happened with Gruden.

Cole Bishop, O'Cyrus Torrence, James Cook, AJ Espenesa and Keon Coleman trumps the miss on boogie basham by the way also.

The last thing this team needs is another disgruntled wr to come in as a savior especially when everything he does will be compared to what he did with the golden boy from cal in dairyland.  

stay the course and improve the wr room if an affordable option comes up on a guy who puts team first.  

2 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

It may be that all along Beane wanted a top tier WR but is under cost constraints (ie nothing has changed).  So Beane would inquire, and nothing will be done in regards to D Adams - there is no way IMO that he is a fit- too costly, bad attitude, only half year rental.

But DHop or Cooper are much more reasonable IMO.  In a couple of weeks DHop will be a bargain.  I would hope the FO would get him for not only this year but 2025 as well - because a top tier WR is a need for 2025 and you might as well fill that need now. 

If nothing else, Beane's inquiry about Adams shows that the Bills are at least open to the possibility of acquiring a veteran receiver via trade this season.

Cost will continue to be the issue, as the Bills don't have the cap space to take on any big contracts. But if any of the Browns, Titans, etc are willing to eat the cap hit in exchange for a higher draft pick in order to send Cooper, Hopkins, etc...I imagine Beane would continue to be interested.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Yes I understand. 

in the end usually the championship teams do not have one of these (#1) guys.  Most of the greatest wr in history have zero championships.

Its about the line of scrimmage and always has been.  

yea that is what I thought.  They are just posting to post.

That just isn’t happening now. The Rams won a Super Bowl with Kupp winning the triple crown. Mike Evans won the year before. Tyreek Hill the year before that. Right now, that’s the reality of the world. In this era, it’s more important than at any time ever. That’s why teams are allocating that money and those high draft picks to the position. There is no evidence or trend suggesting the opposite. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Logic said:

If nothing else, Beane's inquiry about Adams shows that the Bills are at least open to the possibility of acquiring a veteran receiver via trade this season.

Cost will continue to be the issue, as the Bills don't have the cap space to take on any big contracts. But if any of the Browns, Titans, etc are willing to eat the cap hit in exchange for a higher draft pick in order to send Cooper, Hopkins, etc...I imagine Beane would continue to be interested.

I don't think Samuel has worked out how they thought he would (and I hoped he would) and they undervalued having  a better WR on the roster. Look I love the concept, but... We need a little more talent esp. Until Coleman gets more up to speed.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Yes I understand. 

in the end usually the championship teams do not have one of these (#1) guys.  Most of the greatest wr in history have zero championships.

Its about the line of scrimmage and always has been.  

yea that is what I thought.  They are just posting to post.

In an alternative reality that is only slightly different from the real one, the last nine SB winners could have featured these receivers, every one of which put up elite X receiver numbers at certain points in their careers:

2023 season: Brandon Aiyuk (plus Deebo Samuel too)

2022 season: AJ Brown (plus Devonte Smith)

2021 season: Ja'maar Chase (plus Tee Higgins)

2020 season: Mike Evans 

2019 season: Tyreek Hill

2018 season: Brandon Cooks

2017 season: Alshon Jeffery

2016 season: Julio Jones

2015 season: Demariyus Thomas

Every one of these games was close, with all except the 2018 season SB coming down to the last two minutes/OT. And even that one was tied 3-3 with 10 minutes to go in the fourth quarter. And it wasn't the presence of those receivers that cost the losers those games (ahem, Kyle Shanahan). 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

That just isn’t happening now. The Rams won a Super Bowl with Kupp winning the triple crown. Mike Evans won the year before. Tyreek Hill the year before that. Right now, that’s the reality of the world. In this era, it’s more important than at any time ever. That’s why teams are allocating that money and those high draft picks to the position. There is no evidence or trend suggesting the opposite. 

again I disagree and its ok that we have a different opinion.

I dont know why people would be against adding a top talent.

Doesnt he still have two years on his deal after this that wouldnt be guaranteed (once traded)? That would mean easy to manipulate that to lower cap hits.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

In an alternative reality that is only slightly different from the real one, the last nine SB winners could have featured these receivers, everyone of which put up elite X receiver numbers at certain points in their careers:

2023 season: Brandon Aiyuk (plus Deebo Samuel too)

2022 season: AJ Brown (plus Devonte Smith)

2021 season: Ja'maar Chase (plus Tee Higgins)

2020 season: Mike Evans 

2019 season: Tyreek Hill

2018 season: Brandon Cooks

2017 season: Alshon Jeffery

2016 season: Julio Jones

2015 season: Demariyus Thomas

Every one of these games was close, with all except the 2018 season SB coming down to the last two minutes/OT. And even that one was tied 3-3 with 10 minutes to go in the fourth quarter. And it wasn't the presence of those receivers that cost the losers those games (ahem, Mike Shanahan). 

I could have played baseball at Cortland and then been drafted and been a part of the Yankees dynasty.  But I didnt and I wasn't.

Now tell me about the line of scrimmage of the teams that actually won the superbowls. The game is won there late in the year and in the postseason.  

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There is no doubt that they will. That’s obvious. It may be, “we will give you a 6th if no one has something better, call us.” They may not make an offer that will get a deal done but of course they are going to bid.

It’s like buying a house that you may or may not want. The house may be listed for $500k and you’re like, “I’ll take it if I can get it for $400k.” You put in the offer, not expecting to get it but you put in the offer. That may be the situation here but they aren’t just going to withdraw without letting their compensation be known. That makes no sense and isn’t something that happens in the real world.

The Raiders will field a bunch of offers (whether published or not). Some will be the $400k for the $500k house variety but they will be made. I know you’re clinging to hope that this group becomes good but that’s highly unlikely. If the scheme has a rough day, like Baltimore, then talent can’t overcome it. The Bills will be in on any and all talent at that position. It won’t be about “are they interested?” It will be, “are they going to pay the price to get the deal?” 

My guess is that they add a WR (and a pretty good one). I don’t know if it will be Adams or Cooper level. I’m guessing that they split the baby and get someone that’s an upgrade to Hollins but not the guy that they need at the top of the depth chart (that comes this offseason). 

That’s assuming Beane has any real interest in bring him here, there is still a question about fit.  And that’s how GMs work, they don’t just throw out offers or low ball other GMs every time a player is available.  They may have a convo, but doesn’t mean they make an offer and most of the time don’t.  

I am still not sure Beane makes any major moves for a WR, S, LB or any position until we get closer to trade the deadline, if at all.  I can’t see Beane over reacting to one game and more waiting to see if this team is truly a contender for a Super Bowl where one player could make the difference.  If we lose some games and show we aren’t really a player away this year then I think Beane will be less inclined to do anything in season this year personally.

So for me, I have doubts Beane is making any offers right until he sees more from this team on the field and knows if a half year rental for a pick he covets moves the needle enough to give that pick(s) up.  

Doesn’t mean I’m correct, just my 2 cents based on how he has operated during he’s tenure here, what he has said about this year already, and what he has said his plans moving forward are.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

I’ve been reading talk about DJ Moore being unhappy in Chicago and the rumors are circling that, privately, he wants to be traded. 

What DJ instead of davante? 

He's a good player. Why would he want out? He's leading the team in targets and receptions (although the numbers are low given the overall state of that offense).

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

I’ve been reading talk about DJ Moore being unhappy in Chicago and the rumors are circling that, privately, he wants to be traded. 

What DJ instead of davante? 

Moore's cap hit for this year is a lot closer to what the Bills can actually afford.   I'd be fine with it. 

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He's a good player. Why would he want out? He's leading the team in targets and receptions (although the numbers are low given the overall state of that offense).

Could be the level of QB play they have there right now?

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

well i disagree. A 2 is to be used as a team building block and not a throwaway on a diva who agreed to a record contract to get his money but now wants out because he is sad they are losing.  He knew who the Raiders were when he signed there no matter what happened with Gruden.

Cole Bishop, O'Cyrus Torrence, James Cook, AJ Espenesa and Keon Coleman trumps the miss on boogie basham by the way also.

The last thing this team needs is another disgruntled wr to come in as a savior especially when everything he does will be compared to what he did with the golden boy from cal in dairyland.  

stay the course and improve the wr room if an affordable option comes up on a guy who puts team first.  

AJE is not good.  OCT had a good rookie year but has regressed badly and is likely the worst starter on the line. Bishop has barely played.  Coleman was not our second, but a trade back of our first. James Cook is a running back.

Adams went to the Raiders to play with his friend and get paid. They traded his friend and are worse now than they were 3 years ago with no chance of competing.

I know draft picks make everyone crazy. "A second round pick for Davante Adams!  Davante Adams is a HoF WR, but a second round pick could be anything! It could even be a HoF WR!"

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

again I disagree and its ok that we have a different opinion.

It is, I’m just asking “what is supporting that disagreement?” The NFL teams keep showing how they feel by drafting tons of these guys early and paying the top guys north of $30M per year. What are they missing? I am trying to understand the position that it’s not that important when they keep elevating how important the position is.

• Like (+1) 3

if Adams is not working out, Hopkins would be great (good for Coleman to learn from also), so would A. Cooper.  Seems there should be a few guys to pick from.  But we really need another WR in the stable, top 2 for me are Adams and Hopkins

2 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

I could have played baseball at Cortland and then been drafted and been a part of the Yankees dynasty.  But I didnt and I wasn't.

Now tell me about the line of scrimmage of the teams that actually won the superbowls. The game is won there late in the year and in the postseason.  

Huh? Cortland and Yankees is not equal to OT loss to the Chiefs/Kyle Shanahan not running the ball vs NE. Not the best of analogies to repudiate what I'm saying. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

AJE is not good.  OCT had a good rookie year but has regressed badly and is likely the worst starter on the line. Bishop has barely played.  Coleman was not our second, but a trade back of our first. James Cook is a running back.

Adams went to the Raiders to play with his friend and get paid. They traded his friend and are worse now than they were 3 years ago with no chance of competing.

I know draft picks make everyone crazy. "A second round pick for Davante Adams!  Davante Adams is a HoF WR, but a second round pick could be anything! It could even be a HoF WR!"

I have no response to this response.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't think Samuel has worked out how they thought he would (and I hoped he would) and they undervalued having  a better WR on the roster. Look I love the concept, but... We need a little more talent esp. Until Coleman gets more up to speed.

If we really wanted to land Adams, here’s my “Madden” trade idea:

2025 2nd rd pick

Samuel

Elam

other draft pick compensation

If we can get Samuel and Elam off our books in exchange for Adams, are we able to stay within our cap?  How much value does either player at their current contracts even bring to the table for the Raiders?  What additional draft compensation would we need to throw into the deal?

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Huh? Cortland and Yankees is not equal to OT loss to the Chiefs/Kyle Shanahan not running the ball vs NE. Not the best of analogies to repudiate what I'm saying. 

just saying would have and should have do not mean anything.

Those guys didn't win the super bowl.  Most of the great WR in the history did not win a super bowl.