Raiders are open to trading Davante Adams

HappyDays

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I really cannot wrap my brain around BB's philosophy.

Puts together Diggs/Brown/Beasley/Davis. One of the better WR groups in Bills history.

Talent erodes, they bet on Davis improving

Desperately brings back Beasley and Brown both in mid-2022.

Rolls with Sherfield and Harty as the 2 big additions in 2023.

Goes backwards even further in 2024, then takes calls on Adams.

Does he think the WR's are good enough?  We rolled into this season with this crew plus a bunch of cast-offs who predictably remained cast-offs. 

Did he change his mind this week? 

It just makes no sense. It feels like he lurches from one side to the other.

I think it’s pretty clear that we did not intend on trading Diggs this year. 

It was a deteriorating situation, but all sides were just going to make it work while Beane was listening to offers.  

The offer would have to blow him away though. 

Texans offering the Vikings 2, which before the season anyone would’ve thought could’ve a Top 40 pick met that criteria. 

And you can’t just say your WR room is meh .. so you put a good label on it.  Aka “everybody eats”.  

Now Beane is looking around the AFC.. and seeing what this defense can be once we get healthy (and off suspension) and it’s not shocking that he’s going to be open to a WR, whether Adams or someone else.  

This team as constructed this year was supposed to have a Diggs as part of it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think it’s pretty clear that we did not intend on trading Diggs this year. 

It was a deteriorating situation, but all sides were just going to make it work while Beane was listening to offers.  

The offer would have to blow him away though. 

Texans offering the Vikings 2, which before the season anyone would’ve thought could’ve a Top 40 pick met that criteria. 

And you can’t just say your WR room is meh .. so you put a good label on it.  Aka “everybody eats”.  

Now Beane is looking around the AFC.. and seeing what this defense can be once we get healthy (and off suspension) and it’s not shocking that he’s going to be open to a WR, whether Adams or someone else.  

This team as constructed this year was supposed to have a Diggs as part of it.  

That's fine, but we traded Diggs before the draft. 6 months ago now.

At this point, that's like saying, "this team as constructed this year was supposed to have Hyde/Poyer/Tre as part of it."

If we traded Diggs in TC, I would feel differently.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Puts together Diggs/Brown/Beasley/Davis. One of the better WR groups in Bills history.

Does he think the WR's are good enough?  We rolled into this season with this crew plus a bunch of cast-offs who predictably remained cast-offs. 

Well, he did spend a first pick on WR in this draft. Was he ideal? No, but they weren't going to get Odunze or BTJ. I had hope that they might land the latter, but they didn't have the ammo, apparently. In any event, I am quite sure Bean knows it's a hole on the team. Which is why the Bills are reportedly in the mix here.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That's fine, but we traded Diggs before the draft. 6 months ago now.

At this point, that's like saying, "this team as constructed this year was supposed to have Hyde/Poyer/Tre as part of it."

If we traded Diggs in TC, I would feel differently.

I just don’t think they had the resources to do more than what they did.. and were ok with that given the compensation and rapidly deteriorating locker room presence. 

They weren’t willing to mortgage a ton of draft capital to get BTJ and the other 3 we now know were never happening.  

In terms of money, a Curtis Samuel type WR was the range they were in.  Brady has a relationship with him and we signed him.

As of right now, the Samuel signing is an issue.  While not ideal, if they had a plan for Samuel as a WR, along with Shakir, Coleman developing as the season goes on and Hollins/MVS.. that could be adequate if Kincaid becomes the go to guy. 

What I don't understand is why someone like Adams would want to go to a trash organization like the Jets. That tells me that he is most certainly NOT interested in winning a Super Bowl. I would stay as far away from him as possible since winning is clearly not the number one goal on his trade list. If all money is equal, it looks like Jets are STILL his number 1 choice...no thanks. 

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

What I don't understand is why someone like Adams would want to go to a trash organization like the Jets. That tells me that he is most certainly NOT interested in winning a Super Bowl. I would stay as far away from him as possible since winning is clearly not the number one goal on his trade list. If all money is equal, it looks like Jets are STILL his number 1 choice...no thanks. 

I know some people will dislike Rodgers for non-football reasons, but he is very well liked amongst the players .. especially guys like Adams who played with him. 

And I’m sure Adams can talk himself into the Jets being contenders for this year and next.. which is really their entire window.  

They have obvious weaknesses and Rodgers is already getting beat up, but I wouldn’t have an issue with how Adams feels about this.  

Edited by SCBills

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

The easy answer is that he links back up with Aaron Rodgers.  They're as good a QB/WR duo that this league has ever seen.  

Beane always does due diligence and calls to see what the compensation being sought is, as any good GM should. It's why you hear the Bills mentioned in just about every situation where a player is seeking a trade.

I do not get the sense that Beane is going to be willing to give up a ton of capital to add a receiver. He wasn't willing to make a small jump up the board for BTJ on draft night. He wasn't willing to trade for a receiver all offseason. Why now would that have changed? I think he envisions this team being in a "get right" year and in year one of a mini-reset, and throwing a bunch of capital and money at a 31 year old WR doesn't feel like his M.O. at this moment in time.

I also do not get the sense that the Raiders necessarily want to eat much of the cap charge this year. They've not historically been a franchise that loves spending money when they don't have to.

I think that, in the end, the most simple and obvious thing likely happens: He becomes a Jet or a Saint.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, he did spend a first pick on WR in this draft. Was he ideal? No, but they weren't going to get Odunze or BTJ. I had hope that they might land the latter, but they didn't have the ammo, apparently. In any event, I am quite sure Bean knows it's a hole on the team. Which is why the Bills are reportedly in the mix here.

Even if we got Odunze or BTJ, WR would still be one of the biggest needs on the roster.

I'm not sure Beane sees it that way but I don't know.

38 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I can’t imagine that he thinks this group is good enough. He (wrongly) hoped to strike lightning in a bottle with former high picks that failed in the NFL (Claypool, Isabella, Hamler, and to a lesser degree Samuel). He probably hoped one of them (plus Samuel) “broke out” with Brady and Allen. The reality is that bad players with more opportunity are still bad players. 

Anyone who thought that this group “quietly got better” was hoping, not logically looking at the situation. This is one of the worst WR rooms in the NFL. It is no surprise that they’re not good. Beane can’t be surprised. I’m shocked that he left this draft, with the 8th or 9th WR picked, after trading down twice. That shows me that he was a little too bullish on the lightning in a bottle approach.

If he traded up for Brian Thomas Jr., how much better would we be feeling about this group? You’d say, “we have a guy that has shown flashes of stardom.” They took the ultimate boom or bust prospect in Coleman and so far, he’s looked as expected (great body control, competitive with the ball in the air, no separation whatsoever). The Bills, imo, didn’t have the luxury of a project for this group. That group from a few years ago that you referenced could have take ln a shot on a project. The Bills needed productive day 1 because they didn’t have enough other talent in the room.

Now we are left with this group. Kincaid and Shakir can be really good pieces. Neither has proven that they can be the guy. That’s not a knock. That’s what we should have expected when looking at the alphas around the league. If you add an Adams to this group, now you’ve got something. It pushes everyone down a slot into their more natural fit. You can play him opposite Coleman (end the Mack Hollins nonsense) and have Shakir inside. You can continue using Samuel as a chess piece but you need to use him correctly. It’s been so predictable so far. Throw him a couple of screens, a few slants and 4 or 5 carries and he will help the offense.

I don’t think that he’s surprised though that he needs a number 1 receiving option. I think that he hoped for lightning in a bottle but expected this.

16 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

What does this mean?  I feel like I say what does this mean a lot.

In weather, a “watch” is more likely than an “advisory.” A tornado advisory means “there might be one.” A tornado watch means “we are expecting one.” At least that’s my perception of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I can’t imagine that he thinks this group is good enough. He (wrongly) hoped to strike lightning in a bottle with former high picks that failed in the NFL (Claypool, Isabella, Hamler, and to a lesser degree Samuel). He probably hoped one of them (plus Samuel) “broke out” with Brady and Allen. The reality is that bad players with more opportunity are still bad players. 

Anyone who thought that this group “quietly got better” was hoping, not logically looking at the situation. This is one of the worst WR rooms in the NFL. It is no surprise that they’re not good. Beane can’t be surprised. I’m shocked that he left this draft, with the 8th or 9th WR picked, after trading down twice. That shows me that he was a little too bullish on the lightning in a bottle approach.

If he traded up for Brian Thomas Jr., how much better would we be feeling about this group? You’d say, “we have a guy that has shown flashes of stardom.” They took the ultimate boom or bust prospect in Coleman and so far, he’s looked as expected (great body control, competitive with the ball in the air, no separation whatsoever). The Bills, imo, didn’t have the luxury of a project for this group. That group from a few years ago that you referenced could have take ln a shot on a project. The Bills needed productive day 1 because they didn’t have enough other talent in the room.

Now we are left with this group. Kincaid and Shakir can be really good pieces. Neither has proven that they can be the guy. That’s not a knock. That’s what we should have expected when looking at the alphas around the league. If you add an Adams to this group, now you’ve got something. It pushes everyone down a slot into their more natural fit. You can play him opposite Coleman (end the Mack Hollins nonsense) and have Shakir inside. You can continue using Samuel as a chess piece but you need to use him correctly. It’s been so predictable so far. Throw him a couple of screens, a few slants and 4 or 5 carries and he will help the offense.

I don’t think that he’s surprised though that he needs a number 1 receiving option. I think that he hoped for lightning in a bottle but expected this.

In weather, a “watch” is more likely than an “advisory.” A tornado advisory means “there might be one.” A tornado watch means “we are expecting one.” At least that’s my perception of it.

Sorry for the confusion, I live in North texas I get the meanings of the words but what I meant was does someone at WGR know something everyone else doesn't or are they just posting on social media for attention.

10 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

this or a trade for an impactful defensive lineman excites me way more than a wr trade.

Not me and I like Baker. There are a couple of reasons that WR is a much bigger need imo.

First, WR is WAY more impactful than S. You don’t need to look any further than contracts and where the position gets drafted to see that. WR/LT/Pass rush come after QB. 

Secondly, the Bills 2 best safeties may not be playing yet. Edwards has played on winning teams and is a playmaker. Bishop is absolutely their most talented safety. They may be able to upgrade there by just playing different people. We will start to see it this week with Bishop.

• Agree 4

13 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Let the Jests waste their draft capital and money on Adams.  They’re still going to suck 😃

Rodgers will retire after this year and Adams will sulk again and force the Jets to send him to Naw'lins with Carr. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not me and I like Baker. There are a couple of reasons that WR is a much bigger need imo.

First, WR is WAY more impactful than S. You don’t need to look any further than contracts and where the position gets drafted to see that. WR/LT/Pass rush come after QB. 

Secondly, the Bills 2 best safeties may not be playing yet. Edwards has played on winning teams and is a playmaker. Bishop is absolutely their most talented safety. They may be able to upgrade there by just playing different people. We will start to see it this week with Bishop.

That is all true but man Baker is a leader and have him back there in a playoff game against one of KC, CINCY, HOU or Baltimore would be huge.  

to me he is bigger than the position.  He is a guy that is good for your club on and off the field.

Just now, MikePJ76 said:

Sorry for the confusion, I live in North texas I get the meanings of the words but what I meant was does someone at WGR know something everyone else doesn't or are they just posting on social media for attention.

I’m sure that they hear rumblings but nothing beyond what most of us hear. It’s more, “yeah, the Bills are definitely interested.” That’s kind of obvious though. The Bills will be in on this. The question is, “will they pay the price needed if the Raiders convert the salary to a bonus?” That will require more compensation. 

How I’m interpreting that is, “the Bills will be in this until it ends. They may not be able to get the deal done at a compensation level that works.”

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Watch means that the climate may lead to the development of tornadoes, in other words, be prepared. Im from Oklahoma, I was taught this stuff in the womb. 

• Thank you (+1) 1