Raiders are open to trading Davante Adams

HappyDays

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-wr-davante-adams-hopes-to-be-traded-to-jets-but-is-open-to-other-destinations?icampaign=npl-ros-adv&affiliateId=21181&affiliateCustomId=126006X1587360X5626499116678d14825974cb1c65988d&clickId=4868365682

New York is where the Raiders star wants to play after informing the team on Monday he prefers to be traded, multiple sources say. But Adams has not demanded as much from Las Vegas, and this is not a scenario like Rodgers' in 2023 when the quarterback informed the Packers he would only play for the Jets.

In fact, according to sources informed of Adams' thinking, he is open to playing for several other teams. The New Orleans Saints, Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, Dallas Cowboys and perhaps the San Francisco 49ers are among teams that either have inquired about the six-time Pro Bowler or are places Adams would be happy landing.

The Raiders have had conversations with several teams since Monday when Adams told Las Vegas he preferred to play elsewhere. Those conversations ramped up after NFL Media first reported that Adams would like to be dealt. Nothing currently has come close to happening and no trade is expected at least until next week at the earliest, sources say.

While the Raiders could trade Adams to the Jets, they will do what's best for their organization, sources say, including taking the best deal from the highest bidder. While players generally have some semblance of control -- in this case, Adams would have to rework his contract to facilitate a trade -- he is not in total control of where he ends up.

And while teams have discussed potential deals, there likely won't be any official offers until Adams' hamstring is healthy enough for him to play. Adams missed the Raiders' Week 4 win over the Cleveland Browns, and he is not expected to play this Sunday against the Denver Broncos, sources say, but its likely he'll continue to play for Las Vegas when healthy if the right deal takes weeks to materialize or never does.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean none of this is surprising. The Bills are bad at WR. They have one of the worst groups in the league. A guy who probably goes to the HOF hits the market. They’re interested and reached out to gauge the cost. In other news, water is wet. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4

Jake Eckberg on X: "SOURCE: Jets, Raiders & Falcons have ‘started the conversation’ regarding a three team trade: Jets land WR Davante Adams Atlanta lands pass rusher Haason Reddick from Jets for a 2025 mid round pick Raiders land a 2025 2nd and multiple mid round picks from 2025 & 2026 from NY https://t.co/aADLUFr602" / X

• Haha (+1) 1

I really don't think Adams is in play for the Bills.  I actually think that this is Beane's way of making it seem like he's open to adding talent to the roster without ever pulling the trigger.

McCaffrey should have been a done deal.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Jake Eckberg on X: "SOURCE: Jets, Raiders & Falcons have ‘started the conversation’ regarding a three team trade: Jets land WR Davante Adams Atlanta lands pass rusher Haason Reddick from Jets for a 2025 mid round pick Raiders land a 2025 2nd and multiple mid round picks from 2025 & 2026 from NY https://t.co/aADLUFr602" / X

That is what will happen because those two teams can make the trade without the Raiders having to pay additional cash to make it work. 

As many have already mentioned, beyond everything else (including Adams' age, attitude, trade compensation, etc.) the Bills' biggest obstacle to making any sort of trade happen is $ and the team's' precarious cap situation.

I do believe that Beane is interested -- and it is probably more than just due diligence. I think back to the A. Brown situation -- and the fact that Beane actually was willing to pull the trigger on a trade with the Steelers but Brown himself nixed the trade. Reports indicate that Adams would be willing to come here, so it sounds like that is not a potential roadblock. But in order to make a trade even remotely possible, the Raiders would have to pick up a SIGNIFICANT portion of Adams' 2024 salary. The only thing that the Bills have to offer to make the Raiders willing to do that is to up the ante in terms of trade compensation. I'm not sure that Buffalo could out-bid the Jets (or Steelers) both of whom are much more financially able to  NOT ask the Raiders to kick in $.

As much as I know a trade for Adams is unlikely to happen, I think back to Sunday night's game and wonder how much of a difference those 5-6 passes that were thrown to Hollins may have made if they had been thrown to Adams instead. And how much better would the rest of the receiving corps be if defenses had to key on a legitimate alpha WR like Adams?

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Do you think the Jags want to take on a $24 million dollar dead cap hit on Gabe Davis?

On a trade, it looks like Jax would only eat $7-8m in dead cap as Bills would take on his 2025 salary and option bonus guarantee.  Davis’s contract is actually very trade-able and Bills would only need $1m in 2024 cap space to get it done.  Could probably make this trade happen for a 5th-6th rounder.  

• Vomit 1

This is such a perfect fit for us.  

All it acknowledges is this team has exceeded expectations, is looking likely to be division champs, and the biggest piece it’s missing that you can add is a top 10 WR to a room that’s already asserted itself quite well. 

Adams also is someone Coleman’s game can be like - to have Coleman get to watch and learn from him up close - bonus.   

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

This is such a perfect fit for us.  

All it acknowledges is this team has exceeded expectations, is looking likely to be division champs, and the biggest piece it’s missing that you can add is a top 10 WR to a room that’s already asserted itself quite well. 

Adams also is someone Coleman’s game can be like - to have Coleman get to watch and learn from him up close - bonus.   

Sadly, the chances this happens are very slim 

55 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I mean none of this is surprising. The Bills are bad at WR. They have one of the worst groups in the league. A guy who probably goes to the HOF hits the market. They’re interested and reached out to gauge the cost. In other news, water is wet. 

At a minimum they're driving up the Jets' payment.  That's about all.  I cannot fathom Beane actually pulling the trigger on this.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Gregg said:

This guy nails it from a Jets POV.

dWBfNqr.png

Throw in the fact that the coach and GM are on the hot seat and won’t get to use those 2025 draft picks anyway if the Jets fail to make the playoffs…

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

At a minimum they're driving up the Jets' payment.  That's about all.  I cannot fathom Beane actually pulling the trigger on this.

It would take a massive philosophical shift.

If we had the cap space to take on the contract I could see it happening.  Since we don't it would require LV taking on the salary which increases the required compensation.  We have quite a bit of draft capital, but Beane loves his draft picks too much to part with what would be required in this scenario for a 31 year old rental.

56 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I really cannot wrap my brain around BB's philosophy.

Puts together Diggs/Brown/Beasley/Davis. One of the better WR groups in Bills history.

Talent erodes, they bet on Davis improving

Desperately brings back Beasley and Brown both in mid-2022.

Rolls with Sherfield and Harty as the 2 big additions in 2023.

Goes backwards even further in 2024, then takes calls on Adams.

Does he think the WR's are good enough?  We rolled into this season with this crew plus a bunch of cast-offs who predictably remained cast-offs. 

Did he change his mind this week? 

It just makes no sense. It feels like he lurches from one side to the other.

• Like (+1) 4