Raiders are open to trading Davante Adams

HappyDays

21 hours ago, Process said:

If we trade for him it would have to be as a one year rental, right? The cap hits are massive. 

I don't think Adam's will be playing on his existing contract next year with a new ream regardless of where he winds up. 44MM cap hit for a 33 year old receiver (assuming his healthy and good to go). His deal will get reworked. Jets could afford even the 44 (they have over 80MM in cap space for 2025), but they already have good WRs. They aren't going anywhere without o-line help with or without Davante.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I don't think Adam's will be playing on his existing contract next year with a new ream regardless of where he winds up. 44MM cap hit for a 33 year old receiver (assuming his healthy and good to go). His deal will get reworked. Jets could afford even the 44 (they have over 80MM in cap space for 2025), but they already have good WRs. They aren't going anywhere without o-line help with or without Davante.

All true, but they haven't been acting like a rational team ever since they hired Darkness Retreat as GM.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't see the Bills, Jets or Saints doing a deal.  

If you could declare bankruptcy with salary cap, the Saints would likely do it.  Their bad cap situation is on a unique level of terrible.

I don't think the Jets spend that amount of money to make this last year of AR work.  I think AR and the Jets know this is his last season.  

From the Bills perspective, they want to spend in 2025 and 2026.  I think the team you see is the one you largely get for 2024.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dpberr said:

If you could declare bankruptcy with salary cap, the Saints would likely do it.  Their bad cap situation is on a unique level of terrible.

I don't think the Jets spend that amount of money to make this last year of AR work.  I think AR and the Jets know this is his last season.  

From the Bills perspective, they want to spend in 2025 and 2026.  I think the team you see is the one you largely get for 2024.  

Raiders will eat the $ to get a deal done 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Between them and the browns, once the season starts I’m seriously not understanding how they have largely the same roster but have been -$20m+ on the salary cap for consecutive seasons…

2025 browns: -$42m

2025 saints: -$97m

if the teams look anything like they do this season or even better in terms of players, then what is the actual point of a salary cap. especially for the saints. like you said, declaring bankruptcy is about the only thing you would thing to negate such a financial hole where the “business (players) stays the same”

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Sojourner said:

Between them and the browns, once the season starts I’m seriously not understanding how they have largely the same roster but have been -$20m+ on the salary cap for consecutive seasons…

2025 browns: -$42m

2025 saints: -$97m

if the teams look anything like they do this season or even better in terms of players, then what is the actual point of a salary cap. especially for the saints. like you said, declaring bankruptcy is about the only thing you would thing to negate such a financial hole where the “business (players) stays the same”

That’s not how the cap works though. The cap is 48% of the league’s revenue. Teams can obviously afford to be way north of that because they have so much cash coming in. They spend $255.5M on the players and the rest is used elsewhere. Teams just structure and restructure over and over, paying the money out of pocket now and moving the cap hit into the future. With the consistent climbing of the cap, it makes sense. The cap is up $30M per team this year.

At some point, maybe it slows but there is NO reason to worry about the cap when you have a contender. If you have an owner willing to stroke the check, you keep kicking the can down the road. You worry about the cap when you aren’t going to be competitive. If I’m the Bills, I just push off cap concerns until Josh is gone. We pay more out of pocket now to ensure the best possible lineup. We take our medicine when he is gone. This is what the Saints philosophy started out as with Brees but it has just continued. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s not how the cap works though. The cap is 48% of the league’s revenue. Teams can obviously afford to be way north of that because they have so much cash coming in. They spend $255.5M on the players and the rest is used elsewhere. Teams just structure and restructure over and over, paying the money out of pocket now and moving the cap hit into the future. With the consistent climbing of the cap, it makes sense. The cap is up $30M per team this year.

At some point, maybe it slows but there is NO reason to worry about the cap when you have a contender. If you have an owner willing to stroke the check, you keep kicking the can down the road. You worry about the cap when you aren’t going to be competitive. If I’m the Bills, I just push off cap concerns until Josh is gone. We pay more out of pocket now to ensure the best possible lineup. We take our medicine when he is gone. This is what the Saints philosophy started out as with Brees but it has just continued. 

I understand how it works, loosely enough to cover the allocation of league adjustments to it each year and how teams spend. My point was more that if a team is constantly forcing themselves to restructure everything because they are that far in the hole, what is the actual point of a salary cap to begin with?

if buffalo follow what you suggest I don’t think they even come close to being at the level the saints are. which is why, if you’re at that level there should be some form of penalty for egregious financial management. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sojourner said:

I understand how it works, loosely enough to cover the allocation of league adjustments to it each year and how teams spend. My point was more that if a team is constantly forcing themselves to restructure everything because they are that far in the hole, what is the actual point of a salary cap to begin with?

if buffalo follow what you suggest I don’t think they even come close to being at the level the saints are. which is why, if you’re at that level there should be some form of penalty for egregious financial management. 

I don’t disagree. It was intended to be a hard cap as opposed the how the NBA or MLB handle it. Like anything, they found a work around. In theory, there will come a point where some team is so strapped they can’t field a team. It just doesn’t seem like that is a reality. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

there has gotta be a way to get Adams here.  He clearly wants to play for a winner.  He would open the offense up.  Huge target a defense has to scheme for, in addition to the other WRs and RBs.  

And a great guy for Coleman to learn from.

• Like (+1) 1

Both Adams and Cooper will be a touch expensive because of the Raiders willingness to make his contract a bonus and Cooper already doing that. 

If the Raiders were willing to convert his 2024 salary to a bonus would you be willing to part with a 1st or 2 2nds?

2 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Both Adams and Cooper will be a touch expensive because of the Raiders willingness to make his contract a bonus and Cooper already doing that. 

If the Raiders were willing to convert his 2024 salary to a bonus would you be willing to part with a 1st or 2 2nds?

I'd send the 1st if it meant beating out other AFC teams.   

Can always package the two 2nd's in draft to move up if you really want to

( although, upsetting that the Vikings are unexpectedly good which hurts our pick from them )

But, I think he will be traded for a 2nd and Conditional 3rd 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

there has gotta be a way to get Adams here.  He clearly wants to play for a winner.  He would open the offense up.  Huge target a defense has to scheme for, in addition to the other WRs and RBs.  

There is a way … give up a first … but they won’t and shouldn’t do that …

Edited by Aussie Joe

Some random post-

“Davante Adams has played his last game as a Raider”

liked by coach Antonio Pierce

Thats what the Raiders coach thinks about Davante.

No Bills DNA.  

No way Jose.

we just ate $31 million, ridding ourselves of an overaged diva.  Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Unless a younger, better WR becomes available, save our plentiful draft picks.  Load up on WR next draft- younger, cheaper, faster, better, will be a Bill longer,and money ball 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Some random post-

Davante Adams has played his last game as a Raider”

No Bills DNA.  

No way Jose.

we just ate $31 million, ridding ourselves of an overaged diva.  Insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Unless a younger, better WR becomes available, save our plentiful draft picks.  Load up on WR next draft- younger, cheaper, faster, better, will be a Bill longer,and money ball 

thats f-ing wild! 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Some random post-

“Davante Adams has played his last game as a Raider”

No Bills DNA.  

No way Jose.

You do realize he’s likely heading to Canton. I’m not sure why we are assuming that “better” should be used here. 😂😂

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

I just can’t stomach giving up a first round pick for a 31-year old WR, no matter how good he is right now.  

• Agree 2