Not Many Great NFL matchups so Far on Game Days

Speaking of games this week. We have Dolphins at Patriots. Hoping NE wins even though I hate them. Miami has more talent than the Pats. They just don't have a QB right now. Its better if the Fins fall further back in case Tua comes back if he ever does.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Huh?? They put those marquee games on at 4:30 and 8:30, not 1pm with 10 other games being played at the same time.

so you want marquee games on sunday, but only at night?

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so you want marquee games on sunday, but only at night?

certainly not at 1pm where everyone else is crammed in. This is nothing new, that game should have been labeled as marquee before the season even started, and not shoved in at 1pm with everything else.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

certainly not at 1pm where everyone else is crammed in. This is nothing new, that game should have been labeled as marquee before the season even started, and not shoved in at 1pm with everything else.

Maybe they knew the Bengals would be 1-3 heading into week 5....

• Haha (+1) 1

I think it's just a "down" year......the only real good teams in the AFC are the Bills, Ravens, maybe Houston and KC......the NFC is a bit of a mess right now, but all of this will change when "doubtful" teams start to make up some ground and some will pull ahead.......and teams that were "superior" fall behind or can't keep the pace.

Like my old boss used to say, "drink a beer and see how you feel in the morning".......i have no idea what the hell that means, but i thought it useful in this instance.

He also used to say, "that's like building a bomb in a ****house with a spoon".......to this day, i still have no idea what he was talking about, but i'm fairly sure it's not football related, so.........

11 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I actually think it's the opposite of this.  I think there are still plenty of superstars(especially at the WR position) but there's not a lot of great teams anymore.  Salary cap, injuries etc...Parity! 

Not compared to times in the past. Who compares to Moss, Owens, Megatron, and Fitzgerald? All those guys were HUGE stars and their presence was felt on the field. You have Justin Jefferson and that's about all at WR. The rest of the elites today are good players, but not as dominant and they certainly don't have the superstar presence.

And the same goes for QB's. Mahomes and Allen are superstars. Sure, throw Lamar Jackson in there. It doesn't compare to when we had Brady, Brees, prime Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and Rivers. The early 2000's was full of superstars. The 90's was full of superstars as well.

I think this current era lacks those truly elite, all-time type players with huge presences on the field. I will say that we have some of that on the defensive side of the ball, though, with some of the great pass rushers today like TJ Watt, Myles Gerritt, the Bosa brothers, etc. (though they tend to get injured a lot these days...).

7 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Like my old boss used to say, "drink a beer and see how you feel in the morning".......i have no idea what the hell that means, but i thought it useful in this instance.

He also used to say, "that's like building a bomb in a ****house with a spoon".......to this day, i still have no idea what he was talking about, but i'm fairly sure it's not football related, so.........

Guy was a modern day Confucius. 

I guess a lot of it comes down to how you define "great matchups".

Are you looking to recreate matchups like the old Patriots/Colts games? Back when they were pretty much the only good teams in the league?

Can you appreciate great matchups between a couple of lesser teams? I thought Steelers/Chargers week 3 was really intriguing as a good litmus test of where the Steelers really are with Fields. Saints/Cowboys was fun because I always like watching Dallas implode.

Week 2 49ers/Vikings was a good game and a fun watch.

There are at least 2-3 each week. Not sure how many more you are expecting in a league of only 32 teams.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

And the same goes for QB's. Mahomes and Allen are superstars. Sure, throw Lamar Jackson in there. It doesn't compare to when we had Brady, Brees, prime Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and Rivers. The early 2000's was full of superstars. The 90's was full of superstars as well.

I'll add Peyton (and even Eli) to your list. But the problem was, outside that handful of QBs, there was a dearth of QB talent in the league for years.

Nowadays we have:

Mahomes

Allen

Jackson

Burrow

And while that may be a smaller group of elite superstars, I think we have a MUCH HIGHER floor around the rest of the league than back in the day.

Herbert

Stroud

Prescott

Purdy

Cousins

Richardson

Love

Hurts

Would all have been BY FAR the best QB the Bills had since Kelly if any of them joined the team during the drought years.

And that doesnt mention the young stars Caleb Williams and Jayden Daniels

That is 14 QBs deep.

Back in 2010 we'd be at the Josh Freeman/Mark Sanchez/Andy Dalton/Matt Schaub/Kyle Orton levels at this point. Even worse when you get closer to 2000 and guys like Trent Green, Jake Plumber, Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, and Aaron Brooks are all in the top 10.

• Agree 1

I stopped finding other games interesting when Allen became good in 2019/2020. 

I find it hard to get into other games. Even Madden isn’t fun anymore. Josh Allen is the NFL experience. We are so lucky that I find everyone else dull and boring 

3 hours ago, MJS said:

Not compared to times in the past. Who compares to Moss, Owens, Megatron, and Fitzgerald? All those guys were HUGE stars and their presence was felt on the field. You have Justin Jefferson and that's about all at WR. The rest of the elites today are good players, but not as dominant and they certainly don't have the superstar presence.

I think this current era lacks those truly elite, all-time type players with huge presences on the field. I will say that we have some of that on the defensive side of the ball, though, with some of the great pass rushers today like TJ Watt, Myles Gerritt, the Bosa brothers, etc. (though they tend to get injured a lot these days...).

Mahomes doesn't compare to Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers and Rodgers in their primes??

lol, ok.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

On 10/1/2024 at 8:40 AM, BuffaloBaumer said:

I don't know if there are just not that many great teams anymore but each Sunday, there does not seem to be that marquee game. Having said that, how in the world do they put Ravens vs Bengals on at 1pm? That is the one non-Bills game I would have loved to have watched this year, ugh. 

Everything sucks compared to JA17 dude. He’s must watch TV 24/7 and nothing compares.