Week 5 - Bills at Texans Game Week Thread

Well, let's be honest. On defense, Hamlin should be on the practice squad, Bishop isn't ready, losing Rapp may be a blessing, the coaches don't appear to trust Edwards, Lewis is a liability, Dorian and Spector can be exploited, and Epenesa is just a warm body. On offense, with Shakir injured, the Bills don't have a single starting-quality wide receiver.

On the plus side, Rousseau, Benford, Douglas, and (at times) Oliver are blue-chip players, along with Taron and Bernard when they return. The O-line is a real asset, Cook, Shakir, and Kincaid are excellent, and we have the best quarterback in the league. 

Add this all up, and it looks like the Bills just need time--time to heal their starters and develop their draft picks. IF they reach the playoffs at full health and IF Bishop and Coleman reach their potential this year, they could go all the way. Otherwise, it will be a rollercoaster year that will end in December against the Ravens, Chiefs, Houston, or Bengals. Even then, they'll be in great shape for next year. 

Either outlook is impressive given the Miller, White, and Miller debacles. Kudos to both Beane and McDermott. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Those Super Bowl teams were much better than this Bills team. Even if Allen is better than Kelly. The Super Bowl teams had a better OL, RB, WR's and defense. 

But the analogy still holds. The recent Bills teams have had stinkers every season and they have gone on to be successful and made the playoffs. Maybe not blowout losses since the Colts game, but stinky losses like to the Broncos last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

But the analogy still holds. The recent Bills teams have had stinkers every season and they have gone on to be successful and made the playoffs. Maybe not blowout losses since the Colts game, but stinky losses like to the Broncos last year. 

Don't hate me.  I'm just proving your point as well!

giphy.gif

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, The Helmet of said:

How did Houston go from being a basement dweller to having one of the most talented rosters in the NFL almost overnight? Their WR 4 is Robert Woods. Diggs is probably WR 3 but nobody would ever tell him that.

If I’m Joe Mixon I’m telling the coaches “I gonna rush 200 yards against this front. Feed me.”

I’m impressed as hell that the Bills

had’t lost by more than one score in three years. But after last week’s colossal coaching fiasco, I’m expecting a Halloween horror show down in Houston. It’s loud in that dome.

Hope I’m wrong and will gladly perform penance and flagellate myself for my lack of faith if the Bills pull out a W against one of the most talented rosters in the NFL.

pretty easy when you trade every piece of talent except your LT, who they overpaid in a trade for anyway. 

no contracts and a plethora of draft picks… used correctly and you can turn it around. many don’t so that’s credit to the team. even more so being just after the bill obrien tenure. 

mcd either has the team bounce back or it could be like you said, a horror show.

bills edge it 31-24

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, 97bills said:

No way our current defense slows down Houston , unless our front 4 dominate. 

Houston is talented, but they have not been productive. Stroud hasn't been as good, Diggs hasn't been as seamless of a fit as they expected, Tank is still working his way back.

They are currently the 17th best offense in football. Maybe this week is the week they look like the juggernaut we expected, but also maybe not.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 97bills said:

No way our current defense slows down Houston , unless our front 4 dominate. 

I'm hoping Oliver coming home to Houston will be amped up and create some push in the middle of the line. If he a Rousseau have a game, we have a good shot at containing them. With Von Miller out, it opens the door for Solomon to show us what he has, which I'm interested in seeing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Call me crazy, but offenses like that of the Texans worry me much less than offenses like the Ravens.

It's the teams that have a power run game and/or can capably employ heavy personnel that best exploit the Bills defense. The teams that can run just as well as they pass. 

Even the Chiefs, on the occasions that they've given our defense problems, it's often because of Travis Kelce, who is an elite big-bodied tight end.

Teams like the Texans, whose main strength is passing -- Joe Mixon and Cam Akers don't really scare me in the run game -- I like our chances against them. That's the type of offense we ARE set up to stop. That's exactly what our defense is built to combat.

I'm not saying the Bills are gonna completely shut the Texans offense down. In actuality, I expect Bobby Slowik to outcoach Bobby Babich, at least in the first half. I'm just saying I'd rather face the Texans of the world than the Ravens of the world, defensively speaking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Call me crazy, but offenses like that of the Texans worry me much less than offenses like the Ravens.

It's the teams that have a power run game and/or can capably employ heavy personnel that best exploit the Bills defense. The teams that can run just as well as they pass. 

Even the Chiefs, on the occasions that they've given our defense problems, it's often because of Travis Kelce, who is an elite big-bodied tight end.

Teams like the Texans, whose main strength is passing -- Joe Mixon and Cam Akers don't really scare me in the run game -- I like our chances against them. That's the type of offense we ARE set up to stop. That's exactly what our defense is built to combat.

I'm not saying the Bills are gonna completely shut the Texans offense down. In actuality, I expect Bobby Slowik to outcoach Bobby Babich, at least in the first half. I'm just saying I'd rather face the Texans of the world than the Ravens of the world, defensively speaking.

Yup.

Our weakness schematically is attacking our front 7.

It's not a coincidence that most of the last blowouts the Bills were on the receiving end of were

2020 Chiefs - ran all over us

2020 Titans - Derrick Henry ran all over us

2021 Colts - Jonathan Taylor ran all over us

2024 Ravens - Derrick Henry ran all over us.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

lets remember the Jag's almost beat these guys while we blew the Jags out, of coarse its all about match up,  

i believe we match up better than the Jags do, unless we turn the ball over I don't think it will even be close, we also are a plus 5 in the turn over battle while houston is a minus 1..  on kick offs we are #1 in the league with a average start at the  36.7 yard line while houston is at the 31.3 yard line...

Diggs is gonna want to be the show while on the Bills side could be anyone..

With injuries etc, this defense cannot be relied on vs a good offense. It will be on the coaches and especially Brady to get this victory. I think we will have to rely on Allen being SuperJosh in this one. I think he’s up to the task, but not sure if the coaches unleash him here. Texans 34 Bills 28

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

I saw someone on twitter saying the best move for this week is to let shakir sit and rest so he doesn't reinjure his ankle...

anyone else see this?  No way he is not ready to play sunday.  He just needs treatment.  He doesn't even have to practice to play i imagine.  

So wonder if this is the case, does OBD move Samuel to Shakir's slot role and call up KJ Hamler from PS to fill Samuel's role?  Some speed would be a nice addition at WR.

Edited by freddyjj

57 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yup.

Our weakness schematically is attacking our front 7.

It's not a coincidence that most of the last blowouts the Bills were on the receiving end of were

2020 Chiefs - ran all over us

2020 Titans - Derrick Henry ran all over us

2021 Colts - Jonathan Taylor ran all over us

2024 Ravens - Derrick Henry ran all over us.

January 2023 - Joe Mixon ran all over us. He is a really good back when healthy and scares me in the same way Henry does.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

January 2023 - Joe Mixon ran all over us. He is a really good back when healthy and scares me in the same way Henry does.

Joe Mixon has a career average of 4.1 YPC.  He is a decent back, but I think a lot of fans are giving him a little too much respect.  

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain