Week 5 - Bills at Texans Game Week Thread

To me this is the "fork in the road" game.  If they beat the Texans, anything is possible.  If they lose, then I see the snowball loss against the Jets, and we go the mediocre route.  Can the coaching staff find a way to pressure Stroud?  Can they scheme our receivers open and utilize the one mismatch we might have (Cook as a receiver).  I hope the Ravens game was an anomaly is basically what I'm saying.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

Smells like an old fashioned shootout this week.  If our D-Line doesn't get any pressure, or fails to control Mixon, gonna be a long afternoon.

Need Shakir to play, as he, Cook & Kincaid are the best weapons to complement #17, but our O-Line needs to do a better against a Texan's front that is nothing to write home about.  Collins is ranked the #1 receiver in the league and our secondary in its current depleted state is a bottom 10 unit, esp if the front four can't get home.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, notpolian said:

To me this is the "fork in the road" game.  If they beat the Texans, anything is possible.  If they lose, then I see the snowball loss against the Jets, and we go the mediocre route.  Can the coaching staff find a way to pressure Stroud?  Can they scheme our receivers open and utilize the one mismatch we might have (Cook as a receiver).  I hope the Ravens game was an anomaly is basically what I'm saying.

I am scared. I feel the same way. I feel like if we lose this one, we may end up in a freefall. I hate the NFL for giving us these three extremely tough road games, all in a row. After the display we saw against The Ravens, I don't really know what this team is or what to expect. Came into this season thinking it would be rough, with a lot of growing pains, but starting off 3-0, and winning in dominant fashion has messed with my head. The way we lost to The Ravens is how I lowkey expected this team to look. I don't know what to think anymore. I can't stand the thought of a wasted season for the best QB we have had in a long time. 

Defense is so depleted that I feel like the Texans are going to feast. Just gotta hope we can keep up with them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

• Simon pinned this topic

The defense lost its composure against Baltimore. There were some missing f@cking millionaires on the d-line Sunday night. The safeties and linebackers (save Williams) were in a boggle. It’s time to work in Lewis Cine in the safeties and maybe some Buffalo Joe or Nick Morrow in the middle. I hope Babich will bring in some new energy on the D. We need some heat seeking missiles.  The bills were embarrassed, that’s gotta sting. Make Houston pay boys. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

i have a feeling the coaching staff got taken to the woodshed after last week.   McD was not happy afterwards.

plus..its a wake up call for players that hey..your not invincible.  no one is going to just give you the win..well maybe jax.

• Like (+1) 1

Houston is physical and plays with a lot of intensity on defense. We better not let that push us around and set the tone. No matter what anyone thinks about this team, from day 1 we go as the offense goes. If we don’t have our fastball on offense, we aren’t going to win. 2017 was the outlier but from 19 on, we either score and move the ball all day on offense or we lose. This defense only operates in a situation where they can front run. We never get big stops against decent offenses. QBs have all day on 3rd down to find wide open guys and every physical run team puts us on skates. If we aren’t turning someone over, we arent stopping them. Until this coach changes his mindset on soft passive zone, every decent QB is going to shred us in big spots. We need the offense to be on every game because we can never lean on the other side. It’s truly unfair to expect that from our offense but this is who we are. We are the only top team in the AFC that couldn’t slow down the chiefs last year. Our coach is supposed to be a defensive guy but the truth is, he’s the only AFC coach with the QB capable of outplaying Mahomes. If it wasn’t for his own defense, we’d have one by now.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Agree 5

13 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

I saw someone on twitter saying the best move for this week is to let shakir sit and rest so he doesn't reinjure his ankle...

anyone else see this?  No way he is not ready to play sunday.  He just needs treatment.  He doesn't even have to practice to play i imagine.  

Isn’t the rumor a high ankle sprain? 

In which case “He just needs treatment” is not really true. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm hoping that our bigger corners can limit Nico and have a huge game. If the pass rush can get home, they have a shot at it. Stroud is good, but if he gets confused by our d, we have a chance. Then it's up to Cook, Josh, Ty Johnson, and Davis to run the ball and the clock. 

Hoping for a boring game and not a shootout because they obviously have better weapons than us right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

Even in the Super Bowl years, the Bills always had a stinker in prime time, usually against the Steelers or Chiefs. The Ravens game seemed like an outlier, so I expect a bounce back game Sunday.  They may lose or win, but it should be a close game. For some reason, I could see Houston winning on an improbable play at the end. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Even in the Super Bowl years, the Bills always had a stinker in prime time, usually against the Steelers or Chiefs. The Ravens game seemed like an outlier, so I expect a bounce back game Sunday.  They may lose or win, but it should be a close game. For some reason, I could see Houston winning on an improbable play at the end. 

Those Super Bowl teams were much better than this Bills team. Even if Allen is better than Kelly. The Super Bowl teams had a better OL, RB, WR's and defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

I’m not in love with this matchup. Diggs will get 10 targets and will go 1:1 with Cam Lewis, who’s given up the most receptions and missed the most tackles.

Texans also have a pretty physical run game. 

Winnable, yes, but they need to have learned their lessons from Baltimore. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Bills do not match up well against tough, physical teams like the Ravens. On the other hand, the Bills do very well against just about every other kind of opponent…which is why they’ve hovered around 12 wins most recent years. So, are the Texans a tough, physical team? 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy Harris 69 said:

The defense lost its composure against Baltimore. There were some missing f@cking millionaires on the d-line Sunday night. The safeties and linebackers (save Williams) were in a boggle. It’s time to work in Lewis Cine in the safeties and maybe some Buffalo Joe or Nick Morrow in the middle. I hope Babich will bring in some new energy on the D. We need some heat seeking missiles.  The bills were embarrassed, that’s gotta sting. Make Houston pay boys. 

I think it’s time to not overreact after one loss 

• Like (+1) 1