Week 5 - Bills at Texans Game Week Thread

You have to find a way to get this one. I understand the injuries make this tough but you do not want to drop back to back conference games. In no way do I want that prime time Jet game to be for first place. Too much can happen in that game, in that place. And they will probably have Adams by then.

You need to find a way to get the offense corrected. Last week was inexcusable on that side of the ball. Our defense is always this. Just bludgeoned by any physical team and on skates against any competent QB. The offense usually bails them out and somehow creates credit for the HC. The offense is the backbone of everything this team does. This team goes as 17 and 4 go. You can’t get away from cook early. Or ever truthfully. The Oline needs to win and we need to take advantage of what’s there. Start using Samuel as an every down WR. Stop the gadget stuff and go beat people. Gadgets are what lesser teams do to catch up to the good ones. We set the tone. Let the dolphins use magic tricks to generate offense. Also, the hammer needs to be down. You don’t punt on 4th and 2. A punt against a good offense will be a loss in field position in 3 plays. There are no excuses and nobody is going to feel bad for you if guys are out. Find a way to advance the story and go get a win that we need.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

Since we need somthing postive to think about going into this game and since a lot of rookies

are going to get a chance to step up this game...I thought i'd bring up Cole Bishop.

Being from utah I really like utah players and even with being a smaller school we have put out some excellent Defensive players.  

I watched the cover one film break down on him against the Ravens.   He played fairly well, made some very heady plays where you could see both

his physical attributes and the processing part of him.   one play he seen the guy coming into to block him on his way to Derek, he

slowed down to take on the block and keeping his head on derek waited for him to get to him and then broke off and wrapped Derek and 

dropped him to the ground.   

so after this I went back and looked at his 23 year highlights.   There you really see his speed and physical play.   He caused numerous 

forced fumbles from hitting the receiver or rb.   he is also a very good pass rusher and had some decent sacks along

with some amazing interceptions, dude has some good hands.

It really pops on film just how fast and physical he is.   

For Bills fans that have been saying we need bigger faster players on D he fits the bill all around.   Beane stepped up very well to provide in this instance

what we have been clamoring for.

I think we will see once he gets more exp in this system that he will be playing faster and more physical still.

Nice to see a post that's not about Diggs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

01j9ec40r2pj6edgz2q5.jpg

Sean McDermott hints how Bills can replace Ed Oliver, Austin Johnson in Week 5

Third-round rookie defensive tackle DeWayne Carter, who is averaging over 20 snaps per game thus far, will have to take first-team reps against the Texans. He made his first three pro tackles against the Baltimore Ravens in Week 4.

"Another rookie that has been improving, week to week, I would say. Really purposeful with his game plan everyday, not just on Sundays. Everyday in practice, he's out there working. He's gonna have to mature rather quickly here," said head coach Sean McDermott on Friday in Orchard Park.

While the Bills claimed rookie defensive tackle Zion Logue off the Atlanta Falcons' Practice Squad earlier this week, they also have the option to elevate veteran Eli Ankou off their own P-Squad for Sunday's game.

"I thought Eli has had a nice season to this point. He did some good things in training camp.

He has some experience as well, so we'll see where it goes," said McDermott. "You can only have so many ups each week, so that'll be another decision we have to make.

01j9e9msn793y11yrq5m.jpg

"WATCH: Bill Belichick raves about Bills HC Sean McDermott’s defense

Bill Belichick made a habit out of defeating the Buffalo Bills throughout his decades-stretching tenure as an NFL head coach, constructing a 37-12 record against the team while at the helm of the division-rival New England Patriots for 24 years.

The Bills were long a divisional doormat for Belichick and company, not posing much of a threat for nearly 20 consecutive years as the sideline boss built a dynasty in New England;

things started to change once Sean McDermott took the reins in Buffalo, as he was the one who would ultimately coach the team that would dethrone the Patriots as the perennial division winner.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A couple of quick thoughts:

1) I’m glad the message board this week wasn’t 1000 pages on Diggs not loving us and vice versa. This group has really become more secure since we’ve gotten good. If this would have happened in 2015, for example, there would be 100 pages of us crying about our gf leaving us.

2) Why the hell is there talk of a “Diggs revenge game?” Revenge from what? He came to a franchise that paid him a boatload of money, threw him the ball 10 times a game, and where he played the best football of his career. He asked to go and they traded him to a place that he was happy with. What is this revenge I’m missing?

Did you scroll through the rest of the page on this thread after your post?  You just HAD to say something.  See what you started? 😆

• Haha (+1) 1

Two tight ends, extra o-lineman, pound the ball on the ground.

Samuel in the slot, Coleman wide. Mix in Hollins and Valdes-Scantling for variety, but mostly run it (Hollins can block), pass to tight ends, running backs. Take an occasional shot down field if the Houston defense crowds the line of scrimage.

Bernard is back in at linebacker. Focus on limiting Collins and hope Cam Lewis does not get eaten alive by the Houston slot receiver (probably Diggs).

• Like (+1) 1

01j9d7qrdtgd9efq1ebf.jpg

Texans Coach Praises Bills QB Josh Allen

The Houston Texans are preparing to face the Buffalo Bills this weekend, which means they will embark on the challenge of trying to beat quarterback Josh Allen.

Allen is one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL, which means that the Texans will have to be on their A-game for their Week 5 matchup.

"He just does some things that a lot of guys don’t do and I know everyone – there’s a lot of quarterbacks that can get out of the pocket, but the way he extends plays and just until the very last second," Texans defensive coordinator Matt Burke said.

"We’ve played – in here, we’re talked about a lot of quarterbacks that – we’ve played some mobile quarterbacks and guys that get out and create off-schedule. But he’s tiptoeing the sideline and still looking to throw the ball.

I mean, you talk about extending plays and really having to cover through the whole down and he makes a lot of explosive plays when he’s in those situations. ...

He’s operating at a really, really high level now compared to through the years. So, it’s going to be a good challenge for us, for sure.”

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Samuel in the slot, Coleman wide. Mix in Hollins and Valdes-Scantling for variety, but mostly run it (Hollins can block), pass to tight ends, running backs. Take an occasional shot down field if the Houston defense crowds the line of scrimage.

Bernard is back in at linebacker. Focus on limiting Collins and hope Cam Lewis does not get eaten alive by the Houston slot receiver (probably Diggs).

And are we worried about Tank Dell at all?

All I know is these coordinators better come up with a game plan that makes sense against Houston’s weaknesses instead of that garbage plan we saw last week. Houston can’t stop the run, so James Cook needs to be the focus all game. That doesn’t mean running 80% of the time, it means establishing him early and using that to set up the play action pass game. 

On defense, I’d bracket Collins all game long and play zone. Diggs is going to get is catches, just make them short ones then hit him hard after. They have no run game without Mixon and a hurt Pearce but Buffalo has a habit of making garbage RBs look all world. With our depleated defensive line it’s going to be up to Babitch to call timely run blitzes and not let them get a semblance of a ground game.

I like our chances. McD is good coming off a loss (14-2). Josh has been playing elite level ball, our O-line should be dominant again and we should have a very good running game to set everything else up.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

And are we worried about Tank Dell at all?

He’s on my fantasy team, so, guaranteed to underwhelm. 🥴 However, I always bench whoever we’re actually playing against, so he’ll probably go off, on 2nd thought 🤷‍♂️.

2 hours ago, Dr. K said:

Sounds like a good plan, but what if they stack the box? Who does Allen throw to, besides the double-covered Kincaid? Houston has probably figured out that Coleman is only effective on back-shoulder throws, Hollins can be covered by linebackers, and MVS is simply not a threat, downfield or anywhere else. That leaves Knox, and you don't want your game plan hanging on Knox. 

Still, I'm optimistic, because Cook is a real threat as a receiver, and Allen is playing well enough to make even get real yards even out of the likes of Hollins, Knox, and MVS. If he has even a slightly off day, though (that is, plays like Mahomes or Lamar), we're cooked. 

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Texans will have no run game against us. 

samuel needs to eat this game same with Kincaid. We’ve got to get them ten plus targets each. Cook needs to cook like usual 

I doubt anyone will get 10 targets, let alone 2 people.  I think we need to pound the rock, 2 TE sets.  I think Samuel plays maybe 60% of the snaps max.  Hollins and Coleman should both have more based on our game plan.  I’d like to get kincaid, Coleman and even Knox going with play action.  

the Texans DTs and LB are their weak links.  Take advantage of them and don’t let their edge rushers get home