Week 5 - Bills at Texans Game Week Thread

53 minutes ago, Breakout Squad said:

Every team has injuries. It’s always a lame excuse. Unless Allen is injured….. next man up. 

I mostly agree, as it's all about WHO is injured and how long.  People can't complain about 1-2 week garden variety injuries. 

However, the sky is falling if it's Josh Allen for any amount of time or important key players like Shakir or Dion if it's a season ender.  But every team in the NFL deals with short term injuries and fans just can't b*tch about that and use it as an excuse every week.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

The quote from another poster was useless. He blocks, he plays STs. You wanna talk to me about MVS  being useless okay. I don’t disagree with your point but there is a difference between useless and being an above average pass catcher 

Looks like it’s year 3 of struggling WRs and it’s still the #1 excuse to give a guy a pass for not catching the ball and not getting open. 

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

With a reasonably healthy roster, I'd feel pretty good about our chances at victory. With...whatever this is we're about to roll out on Sunday, not so much.

Just to be clear, on defense, we're gonna be missing out best DT, a HOF edge rusher, an All-Pro WILL, our starting strong safety, and very possibly an All-Pro nickel and team captain MIKE. On offense, we're gonna be missing the only WR that has actually produced for us this season.

I hate it.

giphy.gif

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

48 minutes ago, FireChans said:

????

How are Samuel and Shakir the same player?  Samuel is the Isaiah McKenzie to Shakir's Cole Beasley.

Theres no reason Samuel should only be McKenzie in this offense.  

And he hasn’t even been that. 

The reason we say this is because our staff brought him in and has nowhere to play him given Shakir being such a good slot receiver, along with two tight ends they want on the field a decent amount. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Breakout Squad said:

Every team has injuries. It’s always a lame excuse. Unless Allen is injured….. next man up. 

Not every team has major injuries. Analysts on TV bring injuries up all the time. If it didn’t matter, they would bring them up

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not every team has major injuries. Analysts on TV bring injuries up all the time. If it didn’t matter, they would bring them up

Texans don't look to be in great shape, though. I don't know their roster that well, so not sure who the key guys are - but their injury list is longer than ours.

Big day for Cook, Ty Johnson and Kincaid and Knox. Samuel too. Oh, and wait - Coleman.. the kid that looks like a stud-to-be. Our O is fine. Shakir out sucks but next man up will be ok with this offense.

Our D however is looking thin! No Ed, No Von, No Milano. Bernard and Taron??? No Rapp. This looks weak boys. Texans may have a day. shoot out anyone?

2 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

No Ed and No Von. Our D line is in for a long day... maybe.

It's possible - though if I'm not mistaken, we've been better against the pass than we have against the run.  With Mixon still out, it might be kind of a wash.

If one of Bernard or Johnson actually plays, that will help too.  Both would be amazing.

• Like (+1) 1

I want to see KJ Hamler elevated and used in the game plan this week.

If used properly, he can give this offense a dimension that nobody has seen yet and no defenses have prepared for or have answers to.

Hamler is one of the rare athletes that is not only fast, but his acceleration is insane, and he can pretty much hit full speed right off the bat.

If we are talking about McKenzie replacements, that's the guy, if anything.

And on a side note, didn't McKenzie initially start on the Practice Squad for us when we first signed him? And then we eventually elevated him after the weekly jet sweeps became a nice wrinkle to the offense? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Disappointing that these players are out, but the ebb and flow of injuries is part of the season. I don't think any injury here backs us up too far, and interferes with a next man up plan, but definitely see Oliver as the biggest short term blow, as his disruption helps the edge guys so much, and his absence might hurt the impact the edge players make more than the direct impact of defending runs up the middle.

I think our Everybody Eats / Open Receiver plan will work fine without Shakir and will help cover for him while he gets healthy. I think Bishop is better than Rapp, and if this week is where we deal with the first start mistakes as he gets up to speed, I expect the net impact to be minimal and the long term benefit as he becomes our future difference maker gets accelerated.

• Like (+1) 1

Are Cole and Rapp both strictly SS? If Cole plays well and then Rapp gets healthy, could they play together? Or is Edwards the only guy we have to replace Hamlin?

Trying to think of ways to get him out of the starting lineup.