Tom Pelissero: Bills Sign DT Zion Logue off of Falcons PS

Arkady Renko

Well they have to deal with Joe Mixon this week and if they don't stop him running free right in the interior they are going to do it 25 times.  So hopefully they can get that squared away sunday and this guy can help.....although he could be inactive since he is just getting here.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zion-logue/32004c4f-4782-4407-9200-767622ed6c1a

draft profile.  Looks like he is an old school two gapper.

Dane Brugler's write up where he had him as the 29th DT in the Draft....Carter was 12th.

29. ZION LOGUE | Georgia             6055 | 314 lbs. | 5SR             Lebanon, Tenn. (Lebanon)             7/13/2001 (age 22.78) #96  YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT NOTES   2019: (2/0) 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 Redshirted; Enrolled in May 2019 2020: (5/0) 8 1.0 0.0 0 0 0 Pandemic-shortened season 2021: (15/0) 11 1.0 1.0 0 0 0 2022: (14/6) 16 0.0 0.0 1 1 0 Missed one game (injury) 2023: (14/10) 17 2.5 0.5 0 2 0 East-West Shrine Bowl Total: (50/16) 52 4.5 1.5 1 3 0   HT WT HAND ARM WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP    COMBINE 6055 314 10 33 1/2 80 1/4 5.14 3.00 1.81 29 9’1” 4.92 - - (no 3-cone or bench press — choice) PRO DAY 6056 318 9 3/4 33 1/4 80 3/4 - - - 24 1/2 - 4.83 7.85 17 (stood on combine run and broad)  

SUMMARY: Zion Logue was raised by his mother and grandmother outside of Nashville. He played both ways at Lebanon High and registered 57 tackles (6.0 for loss) and had a touchdown catch as a senior, leading the program to its first playoff appearance in 15 years. A three-star recruit, he grew up a Tennessee fan but opted for the stability at Georgia. A reserve most of his time in Athens, he started as a senior but averaged just 25.1 snaps per game in 2023 and finished his career with 52 tackles in 50 games played. With his size and length, Logue is a solid run defender who can eat blocks and eventually work off contact using the force in his hands. However, there aren’t enough quick sheds on his tape, which limits his playmaking potential. With ordinary upfield burst and pass rush skill, he struggles to create pressures. Overall, Logue offers two-gapping skills and is better than what his stat sheet suggests, but he might not be disruptive enough to distinguish himself at the next level.  

GRADE: Priority Free Agent 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Bills invite the run by scheme.  The game vs the Ravens is skewing the data big time.  Listen to the Joe Marino all 22 review yesterday.....scheme was a big problem with light boxes and personnel.  Not saying D Jones is perfect but I think the evidence shows it is not his problem.

Agree with the first part but idk how we could’ve gone heavier when the players that brings onto the field are even worse 🤣. Morrow got abused worse than anyone else whenever he was on the field 

that game was pretty much doomed from the start.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

27 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Bills invite the run by scheme.  The game vs the Ravens is skewing the data big time.  Listen to the Joe Marino all 22 review yesterday.....scheme was a big problem with light boxes and personnel.  Not saying D Jones is perfect but I think the evidence shows it is not his problem.

He is on pace for his worst season as a pro by far.     We will see how it plays out but if he finishes the way he has started he will end up with 13 tackles, 0 Sacks, and 0 Tackle for Loss.   Stats dont mean everything but I think its fair to say the Bills were hoping for more when they gave him 9.5 million dollars this year.   

Fully understand the guys behind him havent been great, especially Sunday night, but overall I dont think he's been good.   I understand the Bills run light boxes, and the 4-2-5 isnt the best scheme against the run, but part of the reason you want a dominate 1 tech in that scheme is to ensure your backers stay clean and can play fast.   Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

When your team is 30th in the league in rush defense I'd say the play of your 1 tech has something to do with it.   

Bills defense under McDermott has historically defended the run poorly. It’s a glaring weakness in the scheme. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, uninja said:

Bills defense under McDermott has historically defended the run poorly. It’s a glaring weakness in the scheme. 

This is true.  

Phew!  Another good Bulldawg.  I was worried about the Bills having more UB Bulls on the roster (3) than UGA Bulldawgs (now 3+ - Cook, SVPG, Logue and Cine - PS). 

We are going to like Logue.  He is a very solid run stuffing DT.  He isn't spectacular, but is an upgrade over what we saw against the Ravens.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, GASabresIUFan said:

This is true.  

Phew!  Another good Bulldawg.  I was worried about the Bills having more UB Bulls on the roster (3) than UGA Bulldawgs (now 3+ - Cook, SVPG, Logue and Cine - PS). 

We are going to like Logue.  He is a very solid run stuffing DT.  He isn't spectacular, but is an upgrade over what we saw against the Ravens.  

Is he an upgrade over Johnson?

46 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

When your team is 30th in the league in rush defense I'd say the play of your 1 tech has something to do with it.   

he is the only one makign a contribution on the DL. williams is doing a great job arriving to the ball a step or two late and a bad angle but, boy oh boy, he tackles good.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

This is true.  

He’s a wall that will maul y’all.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think Jones has been fine through 4 games.

The 4 back ups (Spector, Lewis, Williams and Hamlin) playing behind him otoh...........

i wish i had the intellectual capacity to explain our defense. it infuriates me that it is so simply complex and comlicatedly basic.

i barely have the ability to understand it but it is a symbiotic organism that is as strong as it's weakest link. every game and every down we have one of those four fighting to be the weakest link. they're trying their best but their ceiling is not high enough to mask their weaknesses despite the top notch coaching effort to hide the problems. they were pretty abundant in the jacksonville game but the Jags could not capitalize. the ravens sure did. houston sure will. mixon is going to break through past the second level a bunch.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFan said:

He's a kid.  So not nearly as experienced, but should help on specific run situations as he gets up to speed.  His best attribute is that he is coachable and a very hard worker.  

I was just asking because he is basically the same player as johnson, same size and everything.  Johnson is an 8 year veteran and logue is a rookie on an nfl practice squad.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFan said:

This is true.  

if indeed this is true, seems like they should have done it a week earlier. guess being proactive for the upcoming games of Jets/Titans\Seahawks, who build their O from the run, is as good as any. 

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

i wish i had the intellectual capacity to explain our defense. it infuriates me that it is so simply complex and comlicatedly basic.

i barely have the ability to understand it but it is a symbiotic organism that is as strong as it's weakest link. every game and every down we have one of those four fighting to be the weakest link. they're trying their best but their ceiling is not high enough to mask their weaknesses despite the top notch coaching effort to hide the problems. they were pretty abundant in the jacksonville game but the Jags could not capitalize. the ravens sure did. houston sure will. mixon is going to break through past the second level a bunch.

That is if Mixon plays.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sojourner said:

if indeed this is true, seems like they should have done it a week earlier. guess being proactive for the upcoming games of Jets/Titans\Seahawks, who build their O from the run, is as good as any. 

Johnson is hurt I believe, which is why this wasn't done prior to the game.  McD liked his inside combo of Oliver and Jones with Johnson and Carter subbing in, but Johnson got hurt.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He is on pace for his worst season as a pro by far.     We will see how it plays out but if he finishes the way he has started he will end up with 13 tackles, 0 Sacks, and 0 Tackle for Loss.   Stats dont mean everything but I think its fair to say the Bills were hoping for more when they gave him 9.5 million dollars this year.   

Fully understand the guys behind him havent been great, especially Sunday night, but overall I dont think he's been good.   I understand the Bills run light boxes, and the 4-2-5 isnt the best scheme against the run, but part of the reason you want a dominate 1 tech in that scheme is to ensure your backers stay clean and can play fast.   Just my opinion.

Ed Oliver got owned all night with his gap penetration like an an excited puppy style...see the 87 yard TD..I am no expert, again not saying Jones is great but there is more to the run story than Daquan Jones.  And going by stats of a 1 technique with a 4 game sample size I dont think is of much value.  Some of the other advanced stats are probably much better.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Daquan Jones has been bad but he isnt going anywhere. 

DQ hasn't been bad, but he really hasn't been noticeable this year. He was a game-wrecker for the first few games of last year, but that doesn't seem to be the case in 24'.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1